IE8 Offered to Server Core?

Frank Lesniak

IE8 Offered to Server Core?
Why is IE8 being offered as an update on a Server Core (Server 2008) install?
I'm seeing it when I script the Windows Update API.

Re: IE8 Offered to Server Core?
<QP>
Starting on or about the third week of April [i.e., 28 Apr-09], users still
running IE6 or IE7 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, or
Windows Server 2008 will get will get a notification through Automatic
Update about IE8. This rollout will start with a narrow audience and expand
over time to the entire user base. On Windows XP and Server 2003, the update
will be [a] High-Priority [update]. On Windows Vista and Server 2008 it will
be [an] Important [update].

IE8 will not automatically install on machines. Users must opt-in to install
IE8. Users will see a Welcome screen that offers choices: Ask later, install
now, or don’t install.

[screenshot: http://ieblog.members.winisp.net/ima...comevista.png]

Users who decline the automatic update can still download it from
http://www.microsoft.com/ie8 or from Windows Update as an optional update...
</QP>
Source:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-of-ie8.aspx

Frank Lesniak wrote:
> Why is IE8 being offered as an update on a Server Core (Server 2008)
> install? I'm seeing it when I script the Windows Update API.

Frank Lesniak

Re: IE8 Offered to Server Core?
PA Bear,

Thanks for answering so quickly. I understand that IE8 is offered to Windows
Server 2008 via automatic updates. However, I'm specifically asking why it's
being offered to a *server core* installation. Server core inherently does
not have Internet Explorer installed, so it doesn't make sense to me that MS
is offering it via automatic updates to server core installations.

Also, thanks for your mention of cross-posting. I didn't realize that that
could be done, so I will be sure to do that next time around.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> <QP>
> Starting on or about the third week of April [i.e., 28 Apr-09], users still
> running IE6 or IE7 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, or
> Windows Server 2008 will get will get a notification through Automatic
> Update about IE8. This rollout will start with a narrow audience and expand
> over time to the entire user base. On Windows XP and Server 2003, the update
> will be [a] High-Priority [update]. On Windows Vista and Server 2008 it will
> be [an] Important [update].
>
> IE8 will not automatically install on machines. Users must opt-in to install
> IE8. Users will see a Welcome screen that offers choices: Ask later, install
> now, or don’t install.
>
> [screenshot: http://ieblog.members.winisp.net/ima...comevista.png]
>
> Users who decline the automatic update can still download it from
> http://www.microsoft.com/ie8 or from Windows Update as an optional update...
> </QP>
> Source:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-of-ie8.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Frank Lesniak wrote:
> > Why is IE8 being offered as an update on a Server Core (Server 2008)
> > install? I'm seeing it when I script the Windows Update API.

Re: IE8 Offered to Server Core?
I have no idea, Frank, and MS is only offering no-charge, IE8-related
support to customers running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
environment.
--
~PA Bear