Error code 80070645

FredO56

Error code 80070645
reinstall when i try to use widows vista update it says i have 2 updates one
is for silver light and other one is net frame work 3.5 found out it dont
apply 2 my system i have 32 bit i have tried to remove and clean and
reinstall but i get message that it failed any clues at the end of my rope
TaurArian

Re: Error code 80070645
FredO56 wrote:
:: reinstall when i try to use widows vista update it says i have 2
:: updates one is for silver light and other one is net frame work 3.5
:: found out it dont apply 2 my system i have 32 bit i have tried to
:: remove and clean and reinstall but i get message that it failed any
:: clues at the end of my rope

"0x80070645" means "ERROR_UNKNOWN_PRODUCT" (This action is only valid for
products that are currently installed). It could be caused by the previous
installation failure.

From MS support notes I collect -

"........ suggest that we use Windows Installer Cleanup to remove existing
..Net
Framework, then reinstall .Net Framework 3.5. After this, we try applying
KB951847 again.

Please follow these steps:
1. Download and install Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:
Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290301

2. Run this tool from "Start", then remove all existing .Net Framework.

3. Downloaded the redistributable package from:

4. Install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1.

5. If it succeeds, run Windows Update and apply all available updates."

As for the other problem, Silverlight -

How to manually clean up a broken Silverlight installation
http://blogs.msdn.com/rpomeroy/archi...tallation.aspx

or:

Forums:
http://silverlight.net/forums/

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

mrbagger

Re: Error code 80070645
I have Windows XP SP3. I went through the process but when I installed 3.5
SP1 the setup had a file size of 0kb and I got a setup error. I still ran
the windows update and got the same error (080070645). Looking in Add/Remove
Programs shows installed frameworks are 1, 1.1 hotfix and 3.5 SP1. I tried
to uninstall them manually and through Installer Cleanup but they aren't
really installed. Advice?
--
mrbagger

"TaurArian" wrote:

> FredO56 wrote:
> :: reinstall when i try to use widows vista update it says i have 2
> :: updates one is for silver light and other one is net frame work 3.5
> :: found out it dont apply 2 my system i have 32 bit i have tried to
> :: remove and clean and reinstall but i get message that it failed any
> :: clues at the end of my rope
>

> "0x80070645" means "ERROR_UNKNOWN_PRODUCT" (This action is only valid for
> products that are currently installed). It could be caused by the previous
> installation failure.
>
> From MS support notes I collect -
>
> "........ suggest that we use Windows Installer Cleanup to remove existing
> ..Net
> Framework, then reinstall .Net Framework 3.5. After this, we try applying
> KB951847 again.
>
> Please follow these steps:
> 1. Download and install Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:
> Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290301
>
> 2. Run this tool from "Start", then remove all existing .Net Framework.
>
> 3. Downloaded the redistributable package from:
>
> 4. Install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1.
>
> 5. If it succeeds, run Windows Update and apply all available updates."
>

> As for the other problem, Silverlight -
>
> How to manually clean up a broken Silverlight installation
> http://blogs.msdn.com/rpomeroy/archi...tallation.aspx
>
> or:
>
> Forums:
> http://silverlight.net/forums/
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.

Re: Error code 80070645
1. Before doing anything else, write down the .NET Framework versions which
are already installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

2. Now see Resolution Method 2 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
(ignore the title). After running the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install
all .NET Framework versions manually using the download links on the page.

mrbagger wrote:
> I have Windows XP SP3. I went through the process but when I installed
> 3.5
> SP1 the setup had a file size of 0kb and I got a setup error. I still ran
> the windows update and got the same error (080070645). Looking in
> Add/Remove Programs shows installed frameworks are 1, 1.1 hotfix and 3.5
> SP1. I tried to uninstall them manually and through Installer Cleanup but
> they aren't really installed. Advice?

<snip>

Brian H

Re: Error code 80070645
Been there, done all and every bit of that, except that 2.0 and 3.0 won't
install, and the 951847 update also fails.

This is one of the more florid and egregious MS screw-ups. Truly classic.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Before doing anything else, write down the .NET Framework versions which
> are already installed:
>
> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> 2. Now see Resolution Method 2 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
> (ignore the title). After running the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install
> all .NET Framework versions manually using the download links on the page.
>

> mrbagger wrote:
> > I have Windows XP SP3. I went through the process but when I installed
> > 3.5
> > SP1 the setup had a file size of 0kb and I got a setup error. I still ran
> > the windows update and got the same error (080070645). Looking in
> > Add/Remove Programs shows installed frameworks are 1, 1.1 hotfix and 3.5
> > SP1. I tried to uninstall them manually and through Installer Cleanup but
> > they aren't really installed. Advice?

> <snip>

Re: Error code 80070645
Feel free to begin a new thread about *your* problem, Brian.

Brian H wrote:
> Been there, done all and every bit of that, except that 2.0 and 3.0 won't
> install, and the 951847 update also fails.
>
> This is one of the more florid and egregious MS screw-ups. Truly classic.

<snip>

mandrill

Re: Error code 80070645
I've done all of the above, at least six or seven times Its generally alright
for a few days and then it comes back and nags me about updates to the .net
framework again, which fail every time. Please can someone at MS get this
fixed.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Error code 80070645

"mandrill" <mandrill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58ED3EC7-E254-4F0C-807D-663CAF86E936@microsoft.com...
> I've done all of the above,

Please be aware that you are posting to an NNTP newsgroup
which has a limited retention period for its messages on the server's
archive and usually an even shorter retention period in the caches
of many newsgroup helpers. Hence, many potential helpers will
have *no* idea what "all the above" means and typically won't be
bothered trying to find an archive where they might be able to find out,
particularly when they consider that the main search tools are not
very reliable these days.

You're lucky. It is so old that the web interface has it indexed...

4/28/2009 11:29 AM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...d-663caf86e936

> at least six or seven times Its generally alright
> for a few days and then it comes back and nags me about updates to the .net
> framework again, which fail every time. Please can someone at MS get this
> fixed.

If you're implying that the install works sometimes, it probably also means
that you have something on your system which is changing things,
e.g. regressing the version of a module, and thus necessitating the
reinstallation of the update involved.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---