Error 0x80070002...Help!!

frogluvr2

Error 0x80070002...Help!!
I have no idea what the problem is, but my computer is not doing automatic
updates. I have checked the settings and I have it selected to automatically
update...Also I have tried to go directly to the website to look for updates,
and I continually get the above error. I have tried the "troubleshooting"
steps that are listed for that error and when I got to
start-->run-->"service.msc"-->automatic updates are not started. I try to
start them, then I get an error there saying the system cannot find the file
specified....Can anyone help me please? I am getting frustrated...

Thanks!
Ǝиçεl

RE: Error 0x80070002...Help!!
Hello frogluvr2,

It's always good to start out mentioning your full Windows version (e.g.,
Vista SP1; WinXP SP3) when posting to this newsgroup.

0x80070002 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Description

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821>

"frogluvr2" wrote:

> I have no idea what the problem is, but my computer is not doing automatic
> updates. I have checked the settings and I have it selected to automatically
> update...Also I have tried to go directly to the website to look for updates,
> and I continually get the above error. I have tried the "troubleshooting"
> steps that are listed for that error and when I got to
> start-->run-->"service.msc"-->automatic updates are not started. I try to
> start them, then I get an error there saying the system cannot find the file
> specified....Can anyone help me please? I am getting frustrated...
>
> Thanks!

MowGreen

Re: Error 0x80070002...Help!!
> when I got to start-->run-->"service.msc"-->automatic updates are not started. I try to
> start them, then I get an error there saying the system cannot find the file
> specified

Using Internet Explorer, suggest you first have the system scanned here:

IF 'something' was detected, please post back with what was detected.

If nothing was detected, please post back with
1) The service pack level of the edition of XP [ start > run > type in
winver
Click OK or press Enter
If this is not XP, then post which edition of Windows and the SP level.

2) The name(s) of the security software installed. (AV/security
suite/standalone 3rd party firewalls/anti-malware, popup/cookie blocker,
etc)

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

frogluvr2 wrote:

> I have no idea what the problem is, but my computer is not doing automatic
> updates. I have checked the settings and I have it selected to automatically
> update...Also I have tried to go directly to the website to look for updates,
> and I continually get the above error. I have tried the "troubleshooting"
> steps that are listed for that error and when I got to
> start-->run-->"service.msc"-->automatic updates are not started. I try to
> start them, then I get an error there saying the system cannot find the file
> specified....Can anyone help me please? I am getting frustrated...
>
> Thanks!

Re: Error 0x80070002...Help!!
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

NB: If you have no anti-virus application installed or the subscription has
expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update,
don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall Windows. A
Repair Install will NOT help!.

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

frogluvr2 wrote:
> I have no idea what the problem is, but my computer is not doing automatic
> updates. I have checked the settings and I have it selected to
> automatically
> update...Also I have tried to go directly to the website to look for
> updates, and I continually get the above error. I have tried the
> "troubleshooting" steps that are listed for that error and when I got to
> start-->run-->"service.msc"-->automatic updates are not started. I try to
> start them, then I get an error there saying the system cannot find the
> file
> specified....Can anyone help me please? I am getting frustrated...
>
> Thanks!

error#: 0x80070002 sobriquet microsoft.public.windowsupdate 6 12-22-2008 17:43
0x80070002 Error JeffM English 0 12-19-2008 19:19
Error 0x80070002 d69 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 10-11-2008 12:49
Error: 0x80070002 Camillia_lynn microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 05-21-2008 07:12
Error 0x80070002 Baileyks microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 6 06-30-2007 19:22