Windows Update Failure ; Information Screen Presented. XP Pro SP3

Dave

Windows Update Failure ; Information Screen Presented. XP Pro SP3
Help, Windows Update takes me to an information screen that has a red X,
"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registerd or installed on
your computer. To continue:
Register or reinstall the files for me now Recommended
Let me read about more steps that may be required to solve the problem"

I've tried allowing it to solve the problem on it's own several times,
including allowing it to solve the problem and then performing a reboot prior
to trying to access the updates with negative results. When continue is
pressed it quickly shows downloading and installing the latest update
software, reaches 100% downloaded, then shows registering with a percentage
that starts out low, cycles through about 4 stages before showing completion.
Reloads the update page and then when update is attempted repeats the cycle.

This is on a Dell Insprion 8600, with XP Pro Version 2002, Service Pack 3
installed

Dave
MowGreen

Re: Windows Update Failure ; Information Screen Presented. XP ProSP3
Dave,

Download and *save* ResetWindowsUpdate.msi from:
http://cid-b8f6c7d37a929ca8.skydrive...dowsUpdate.msi

Click on the page with the folded top right corner just above Comments
to download ResetWindowsUpdate.msi and *save* it:
http://cqrbrw.blu.livefilestore.com/...e.msi?download

Then do a Clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
OR, boot to Safe Mode with Networking:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Now run ResetWindowsUpdate.msi
Restart the system.

Can it update now ?

NOTE: Doing the above will delete the update history shown on the
Windows|Microsoft Update sites.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Dave wrote:

> Help, Windows Update takes me to an information screen that has a red X,
> "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registerd or installed on
> your computer. To continue:
> Register or reinstall the files for me now Recommended
> Let me read about more steps that may be required to solve the problem"
>
> I've tried allowing it to solve the problem on it's own several times,
> including allowing it to solve the problem and then performing a reboot prior
> to trying to access the updates with negative results. When continue is
> pressed it quickly shows downloading and installing the latest update
> software, reaches 100% downloaded, then shows registering with a percentage
> that starts out low, cycles through about 4 stages before showing completion.
> Reloads the update page and then when update is attempted repeats the cycle.
>
> This is on a Dell Insprion 8600, with XP Pro Version 2002, Service Pack 3
> installed
>
> Dave

Re: Windows Update Failure ; Information Screen Presented. XP Pro SP3
What Mow said, or...

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the affects of a hijackware
infection.

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

Dave wrote:
> Help, Windows Update takes me to an information screen that has a red X,
> "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registerd or installed
> on your computer. To continue:
> Register or reinstall the files for me now Recommended
> Let me read about more steps that may be required to solve the problem"
>
> I've tried allowing it to solve the problem on it's own several times,
> including allowing it to solve the problem and then performing a reboot
> prior to trying to access the updates with negative results. When continue
> is pressed it quickly shows downloading and installing the latest update
> software, reaches 100% downloaded, then shows registering with a
> percentage
> that starts out low, cycles through about 4 stages before showing
> completion. Reloads the update page and then when update is attempted
> repeats the cycle.
>
> This is on a Dell Insprion 8600, with XP Pro Version 2002, Service Pack 3
> installed

Dave

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Dave,
> If I run this reset, and the update history is reset won't I be spending the rest of my life as the system re-installs all of those previous updates?

Dave

> Download and *save* ResetWindowsUpdate.msi from:
> http://cid-b8f6c7d37a929ca8.skydrive...dowsUpdate.msi
>
> Click on the page with the folded top right corner just above Comments
> to download ResetWindowsUpdate.msi and *save* it:
> http://cqrbrw.blu.livefilestore.com/...e.msi?download
>
> Then do a Clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
> OR, boot to Safe Mode with Networking:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
>
> Now run ResetWindowsUpdate.msi
> Restart the system.
>
> Can it update now ?
>
> NOTE: Doing the above will delete the update history shown on the
> Windows|Microsoft Update sites.
>

> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Dave wrote:
>
> > Help, Windows Update takes me to an information screen that has a red X,
> > "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registerd or installed on
> > your computer. To continue:
> > Register or reinstall the files for me now Recommended
> > Let me read about more steps that may be required to solve the problem"
> >
> > I've tried allowing it to solve the problem on it's own several times,
> > including allowing it to solve the problem and then performing a reboot prior
> > to trying to access the updates with negative results. When continue is
> > pressed it quickly shows downloading and installing the latest update
> > software, reaches 100% downloaded, then shows registering with a percentage
> > that starts out low, cycles through about 4 stages before showing completion.
> > Reloads the update page and then when update is attempted repeats the cycle.
> >
> > This is on a Dell Insprion 8600, with XP Pro Version 2002, Service Pack 3
> > installed
> >
> > Dave

Dave

Re: Windows Update Failure ; Information Screen Presented. XP Pro
PA Bear,

The MSRT completed a full scan with nothing found. I'll try the Windows Live
Safety Scan next

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What Mow said, or...
>
> There is a very good chance that you are seeing the affects of a hijackware
> infection.

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!
>
> 2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> or other appropriate forums.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Dave wrote:
> > Help, Windows Update takes me to an information screen that has a red X,
> > "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registerd or installed
> > on your computer. To continue:
> > Register or reinstall the files for me now Recommended
> > Let me read about more steps that may be required to solve the problem"
> >
> > I've tried allowing it to solve the problem on it's own several times,
> > including allowing it to solve the problem and then performing a reboot
> > prior to trying to access the updates with negative results. When continue
> > is pressed it quickly shows downloading and installing the latest update
> > software, reaches 100% downloaded, then shows registering with a
> > percentage
> > that starts out low, cycles through about 4 stages before showing
> > completion. Reloads the update page and then when update is attempted
> > repeats the cycle.
> >
> > This is on a Dell Insprion 8600, with XP Pro Version 2002, Service Pack 3
> > installed

MowGreen

Re: Windows Update Failure ; Information Screen Presented. XP Pro
The update history is deleted ONLY, not the updates themselves.
There will be no need to reinstall previously installed updates.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten