Update Fail

fab4mom

Update Fail
My regularly scheduled Windows Updates have been failing since March 20. They
were successful before that. I found this out when I tried to use Movie Maker
today and kept getting error messages when I went to save my final project. I
got a message that suggested I update the latest version of Movie Maker, and
when I tried to do that I got a message that said my updates are failing. Any
suggestions? (In case it's not obvious, I'm a novice . . . )
Shenan Stanley

Re: Update Fail
fab4mom wrote:
> My regularly scheduled Windows Updates have been failing since
> March 20. They were successful before that. I found this out when I
> tried to use Movie Maker today and kept getting error messages when
> I went to save my final project. I got a message that suggested I
> update the latest version of Movie Maker, and when I tried to do
> that I got a message that said my updates are failing. Any
> suggestions? (In case it's not obvious, I'm a novice . . . )

What operating system?

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

If Windows XP 32bit (if it doesn't say 64-bit, you have 32-bit), then you
may want to do the following...

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the staus of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley