SP3 Install Question about dates

Ohno

SP3 Install Question about dates
Hello,

I have successfully installed SP3 in many machines, however not really
having time to pay a lot of attention to details today I did my own machine
and had the time.

I am running XPPro and now of course SP3.

I started my installation at just about 11pm and finished it by 11:40pm.
This mind you was dated 04/26/2009. All updates except for the April updates
had been installed.

After the install I went to add remove programs to see which Windows updates
still existed in the list from the past. I noticed many had changed to new
install dates. The strange thing which prompted this message is the updates
that changed dates are actually dated for the day after I installed SP3 and
it is only 30 minutes into that day and the machine has not been on line
yet.

So what I am interested in knowing is why when my SP3 install was done
between 10:58pm and 11:40pm on 4/26/2009 why the updates say they were
installed on 04/27/2009?

I used search assistant to search for all files and folders created on 04/26
and the new folders created with SP3 appears on that date. Then I did the
same search for 04/27 and the search is blank except for a couple of
prefetch files.

Just seemed odd so thought I would ask.

JS

Re: SP3 Install Question about dates
Microsoft uses an offset time value (5 hours) from GMT time, the result is
that updates
installed late at night appear as if they were installed the next day.

Sample Update Log file entry:
2009-04-02 11:18:57-0500 292 340 CreateService for wuauserv succeeded

You can see the -0500 offset entry after 11:18:57 in the above sample.

GMT Time Converter:
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter.htm

In the top box choose the approximate time
from the pull down list when you installed the update.

In the middle box select GMT-5

In the box titled: What time will it be in, select Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
Then click the 'Press Here' button.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"Ohno" <norealaddress@none.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have successfully installed SP3 in many machines, however not really
> having time to pay a lot of attention to details today I did my own
> machine and had the time.
>
> I am running XPPro and now of course SP3.
>
> I started my installation at just about 11pm and finished it by 11:40pm.
> This mind you was dated 04/26/2009. All updates except for the April
> updates had been installed.
>
> After the install I went to add remove programs to see which Windows
> updates still existed in the list from the past. I noticed many had
> changed to new install dates. The strange thing which prompted this
> message is the updates that changed dates are actually dated for the day
> after I installed SP3 and it is only 30 minutes into that day and the
> machine has not been on line yet.
>
> So what I am interested in knowing is why when my SP3 install was done
> between 10:58pm and 11:40pm on 4/26/2009 why the updates say they were
> installed on 04/27/2009?
>
> I used search assistant to search for all files and folders created on
> 04/26 and the new folders created with SP3 appears on that date. Then I
> did the same search for 04/27 and the search is blank except for a couple
> of prefetch files.
>
> Just seemed odd so thought I would ask.

Ohno

Re: SP3 Install Question about dates
That I understand, however I did my update from a SP3 CD I created from the
SP3 iso. SP3 was not done on line.

"JS" <@> wrote in message news:O$KdbevxJHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Microsoft uses an offset time value (5 hours) from GMT time, the result is
> that updates
> installed late at night appear as if they were installed the next day.
>
> Sample Update Log file entry:
> 2009-04-02 11:18:57-0500 292 340 CreateService for wuauserv succeeded
>
> You can see the -0500 offset entry after 11:18:57 in the above sample.
>
> GMT Time Converter:
> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter.htm
>
> In the top box choose the approximate time
> from the pull down list when you installed the update.
>
> In the middle box select GMT-5
>
> In the box titled: What time will it be in, select Greenwich Mean Time
> (GMT)
> Then click the 'Press Here' button.
>
> --
> JS
> http://www.pagestart.com
>

> "Ohno" <norealaddress@none.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have successfully installed SP3 in many machines, however not really
>> having time to pay a lot of attention to details today I did my own
>> machine and had the time.
>>
>> I am running XPPro and now of course SP3.
>>
>> I started my installation at just about 11pm and finished it by 11:40pm.
>> This mind you was dated 04/26/2009. All updates except for the April
>> updates had been installed.
>>
>> After the install I went to add remove programs to see which Windows
>> updates still existed in the list from the past. I noticed many had
>> changed to new install dates. The strange thing which prompted this
>> message is the updates that changed dates are actually dated for the day
>> after I installed SP3 and it is only 30 minutes into that day and the
>> machine has not been on line yet.
>>
>> So what I am interested in knowing is why when my SP3 install was done
>> between 10:58pm and 11:40pm on 4/26/2009 why the updates say they were
>> installed on 04/27/2009?
>>
>> I used search assistant to search for all files and folders created on
>> 04/26 and the new folders created with SP3 appears on that date. Then I
>> did the same search for 04/27 and the search is blank except for a couple
>> of prefetch files.
>>
>> Just seemed odd so thought I would ask.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: SP3 Install Question about dates

"Ohno" <norealaddress@none.com> wrote in message news:uOcIbFvxJHA.4012@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> I used search assistant to search for all files and folders created on 04/26
> and the new folders created with SP3 appears on that date. Then I did the
> same search for 04/27 and the search is blank except for a couple of
> prefetch files.
>

> Just seemed odd so thought I would ask.

You might get a totally different perspective from a similar search
using dir in a cmd window. E.g. enter:

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

and then

dir/a/s/ta | find "2009-04-27" | sort | more

Note that that depends on your Short date format being in that format
--best for sorting. For the same reason it's also best to use 24 hour
time format. Both can be changed via control.exe intl.cpl

In particular note that that dir command is looking for last accessed time
(aka Date Accessed) not last modified time (aka Date Modified).
I think that especially in the case of the files in SoftwareDistribution\Download
that gives a truer impression of what your update session did than
Date Modified. For example, I have some files there which were "created"
as far as my harddrive goes when they were last accessed, not when
either the Date Modified or Date Created would imply.

For a dramatic example of what I mean compare the output of
the previous command pipeline with either of these:

dir/a/s/tc | find "2009-04-27" | sort | more

dir/a/s/tw | find "2009-04-27" | sort | more

especially the latter, which might be what you are getting
from Search Companion by default. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---