Problems with Windows XP update, SP3, & Antivirus software?

doowopper10

Problems with Windows XP update, SP3, & Antivirus software?
I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 in a Dell computer.

Tonight F-Prot antivirus software removed several files and quarantined
several other files that were infected with a virus. In the F-Prot
quarantined file list, it the following file was quarantined twice today:
"asyncmac.sys."
1) What does asyncmac.sys do and is it critical for Windows' XP stability?

After F-Prot removed or quarantined several files, a window appeared stating
that I need to put the Service Pack 3 cd in the cd drive to replace certain
files that were removed or quarantined. And, if I didn't do it, Windows might
become unstable.
2) Is there a way to determine if Windows XP is now unstable - that is,
determine Windows stability before it potentially crashes?

Since I do not have a Service Pack 3 cd, I couldn't follow the above
instructions to use a service Pack 3 cd to replace the files that were
quarantined or removed by F-Prot. So, I then thought about trying to
reinstall Service Pack 3. To reinstall Service Pack 3, I clicked on the
Windows Update icon which took me to a window in Internet Explorer 7 that
stated, "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
installed on your computer." So I chose, "Register and reinstall the files
for me now," in that Window. When I then clicked on the "Continue" button,
that same window just kept reappearing and I could get beyond it to a page
that would allow me to update Windows XP or download Service Pack 3.
3) How do I fix that Windows update page so the required files for Microsoft
update are installed on my computer?

4) How do I download Windows Service Pack 3?

5) Given the problems mentioned above, should I reinstall Windows Service
Pack 3?

Thanks.
Richard
TaurArian

RE: Problems with Windows XP update, SP3, & Antivirus software?
Did you contact F-Prot?
https://forum.f-prot.com/index.php?topic=1442.0
F-PROT Antivirus Discussions

If it is a false positive, and I'm not saying it is or not, you could try
the System File Checker to restore any deleted files but you'll need to
establish whether or not F-Prot is running properly before you proceed any
further otherwise the problem will just re-occur.

"doowopper10" wrote:

> I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 in a Dell computer.
>
> Tonight F-Prot antivirus software removed several files and quarantined
> several other files that were infected with a virus. In the F-Prot
> quarantined file list, it the following file was quarantined twice today:
> "asyncmac.sys."
> 1) What does asyncmac.sys do and is it critical for Windows' XP stability?
>
> After F-Prot removed or quarantined several files, a window appeared stating
> that I need to put the Service Pack 3 cd in the cd drive to replace certain
> files that were removed or quarantined. And, if I didn't do it, Windows might
> become unstable.
> 2) Is there a way to determine if Windows XP is now unstable - that is,
> determine Windows stability before it potentially crashes?
>
> Since I do not have a Service Pack 3 cd, I couldn't follow the above
> instructions to use a service Pack 3 cd to replace the files that were
> quarantined or removed by F-Prot. So, I then thought about trying to
> reinstall Service Pack 3. To reinstall Service Pack 3, I clicked on the
> Windows Update icon which took me to a window in Internet Explorer 7 that
> stated, "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
> installed on your computer." So I chose, "Register and reinstall the files
> for me now," in that Window. When I then clicked on the "Continue" button,
> that same window just kept reappearing and I could get beyond it to a page
> that would allow me to update Windows XP or download Service Pack 3.
> 3) How do I fix that Windows update page so the required files for Microsoft
> update are installed on my computer?
>
> 4) How do I download Windows Service Pack 3?
>
> 5) Given the problems mentioned above, should I reinstall Windows Service
> Pack 3?
>
> Thanks.
> Richard

ED

Re: Problems with Windows XP update, SP3, & Antivirus software?
Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as asyncmac.sys, particularly
if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check
the asyncmac.sys process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend
Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of
the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

"doowopper10" <doowopper10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 in a Dell computer.
>
> Tonight F-Prot antivirus software removed several files and quarantined
> several other files that were infected with a virus. In the F-Prot
> quarantined file list, it the following file was quarantined twice today:
> "asyncmac.sys."
> 1) What does asyncmac.sys do and is it critical for Windows' XP stability?
>
> After F-Prot removed or quarantined several files, a window appeared
> stating
> that I need to put the Service Pack 3 cd in the cd drive to replace
> certain
> files that were removed or quarantined. And, if I didn't do it, Windows
> might
> become unstable.
> 2) Is there a way to determine if Windows XP is now unstable - that is,
> determine Windows stability before it potentially crashes?
>
> Since I do not have a Service Pack 3 cd, I couldn't follow the above
> instructions to use a service Pack 3 cd to replace the files that were
> quarantined or removed by F-Prot. So, I then thought about trying to
> reinstall Service Pack 3. To reinstall Service Pack 3, I clicked on the
> Windows Update icon which took me to a window in Internet Explorer 7 that
> stated, "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered
> or
> installed on your computer." So I chose, "Register and reinstall the files
> for me now," in that Window. When I then clicked on the "Continue" button,
> that same window just kept reappearing and I could get beyond it to a page
> that would allow me to update Windows XP or download Service Pack 3.
> 3) How do I fix that Windows update page so the required files for
> Microsoft
> update are installed on my computer?
>
> 4) How do I download Windows Service Pack 3?
>
> 5) Given the problems mentioned above, should I reinstall Windows Service
> Pack 3?
>
> Thanks.
> Richard

Re: Problems with Windows XP update, SP3, & Antivirus software?

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

doowopper10 wrote:
> I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 in a Dell computer.
>
> Tonight F-Prot antivirus software removed several files and quarantined
> several other files that were infected with a virus. In the F-Prot
> quarantined file list, it the following file was quarantined twice today:
> "asyncmac.sys."
> 1) What does asyncmac.sys do and is it critical for Windows' XP stability?
>
> After F-Prot removed or quarantined several files, a window appeared
> stating
> that I need to put the Service Pack 3 cd in the cd drive to replace
> certain
> files that were removed or quarantined. And, if I didn't do it, Windows
> might become unstable.
> 2) Is there a way to determine if Windows XP is now unstable - that is,
> determine Windows stability before it potentially crashes?
>
> Since I do not have a Service Pack 3 cd, I couldn't follow the above
> instructions to use a service Pack 3 cd to replace the files that were
> quarantined or removed by F-Prot. So, I then thought about trying to
> reinstall Service Pack 3. To reinstall Service Pack 3, I clicked on the
> Windows Update icon which took me to a window in Internet Explorer 7 that
> stated, "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered
> or
> installed on your computer." So I chose, "Register and reinstall the files
> for me now," in that Window. When I then clicked on the "Continue" button,
> that same window just kept reappearing and I could get beyond it to a page
> that would allow me to update Windows XP or download Service Pack 3.
> 3) How do I fix that Windows update page so the required files for
> Microsoft
> update are installed on my computer?
>
> 4) How do I download Windows Service Pack 3?
>
> 5) Given the problems mentioned above, should I reinstall Windows Service
> Pack 3?
>
> Thanks.
> Richard

NellyBly

RE: Problems with Windows XP update, SP3, & Antivirus software?
You have a fatal virus. This killed my PC and I had to have a new harddrive
installed and reinstall Windows and everything else on my Dell.
Disable automatic updates because Windows will continue to try to install
Service Pack 3 on your PC, and you will have to totally reinstall Windows XP
every time.
I do not know why Microsoft and/or Dell do not advise owners of this
problem; they surely know of it!

"doowopper10" wrote:

> I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 in a Dell computer.
>
> Tonight F-Prot antivirus software removed several files and quarantined
> several other files that were infected with a virus. In the F-Prot
> quarantined file list, it the following file was quarantined twice today:
> "asyncmac.sys."
> 1) What does asyncmac.sys do and is it critical for Windows' XP stability?
>
> After F-Prot removed or quarantined several files, a window appeared stating
> that I need to put the Service Pack 3 cd in the cd drive to replace certain
> files that were removed or quarantined. And, if I didn't do it, Windows might
> become unstable.
> 2) Is there a way to determine if Windows XP is now unstable - that is,
> determine Windows stability before it potentially crashes?
>
> Since I do not have a Service Pack 3 cd, I couldn't follow the above
> instructions to use a service Pack 3 cd to replace the files that were
> quarantined or removed by F-Prot. So, I then thought about trying to
> reinstall Service Pack 3. To reinstall Service Pack 3, I clicked on the
> Windows Update icon which took me to a window in Internet Explorer 7 that
> stated, "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
> installed on your computer." So I chose, "Register and reinstall the files
> for me now," in that Window. When I then clicked on the "Continue" button,
> that same window just kept reappearing and I could get beyond it to a page
> that would allow me to update Windows XP or download Service Pack 3.
> 3) How do I fix that Windows update page so the required files for Microsoft
> update are installed on my computer?
>
> 4) How do I download Windows Service Pack 3?
>
> 5) Given the problems mentioned above, should I reinstall Windows Service
> Pack 3?
>
> Thanks.
> Richard

Harry Johnston [MVP]

NellyBly wrote:

> You have a fatal virus. This killed my PC and I had to have a new harddrive
> installed and reinstall Windows and everything else on my Dell.

A virus infection cannot cause your harddrive to fail. (*)

> Disable automatic updates because Windows will continue to try to install
> Service Pack 3 on your PC, and you will have to totally reinstall Windows XP
> every time.

If there is a problem with installing service pack 3, the best response is to
*solve* the problem, not to hide it. Free support is available from Microsoft.
This support has been extended past the original 14 April deadline but not
indefinitely, so it's best not to wait:

<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx>

Be aware that by this time next year, no more security updates will be available
for your computer if you have not installed service pack 3.

Harry

(*) Technically it would be possible to write a virus that would cause a hard
drive to fail. However, the virus have to target each specific model of hard
drive separately, and what would be the point? Also, I think we'd have heard
about it if a drive-killing virus were on the loose.