msxml4-KB927978-enu

Al Hausmann

msxml4-KB927978-enu
Not sure how this happend, but almost all of my folders on C: were
overwritten with long numerical file names and the only file inside each
folder is: msxml4-KB927978-enu

How can I get this returned back to normal?

--
Al
MowGreen

Re: msxml4-KB927978-enu
That's *really* odd, Al. KB929978 came out in * November, 2006 *. Each
installation attempt for KB929978 will create randomly named subfolders
on the drive with the most free space.

QEDs:
1) Is System Restore enabled on C:\ ?
2) What was previously on the C:\ drive ?
3) On which drive is the Windows directory residing ?
4) Has the system been kept up to date in regards to *all* security
updates ?
5) What Service Pack level is XP at now ?

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Al Hausmann wrote:

> Not sure how this happend, but almost all of my folders on C: were
> overwritten with long numerical file names and the only file inside each
> folder is: msxml4-KB927978-enu
>
> How can I get this returned back to normal?

Al Hausmann

Re: msxml4-KB927978-enu
MowGreen,
Anwers to QEDs:
> 1) Is System Restore enabled on C:\ ? Yes it is, I did a restore to a month earlier, but it did not change the folders.

> 2) What was previously on the C:\ drive ? C drive type folders... I did not pay that much attention... maybe the folders were not overwritten.... maybe these files were just created. I had a virus, backdoor.win32.agent.afqs. When trying to get rid of it I downloaded this program from www.whattheteck.com/hijackthis that was suppose to capture a log. I think the folders started appearing during the installation. I thought, according to microsoft knowledge base, that maybe this program was accessing the .net or xml component and created these folders.

> 3) On which drive is the Windows directory residing ? C:

> 4) Has the system been kept up to date in regards to *all* security
> updates ? yes, religously

> 5) What Service Pack level is XP at now ? sp2

Regards,
Al

--
Al

"MowGreen" wrote:

> That's *really* odd, Al. KB929978 came out in * November, 2006 *. Each
> installation attempt for KB929978 will create randomly named subfolders
> on the drive with the most free space.
>
> QEDs:
> 1) Is System Restore enabled on C:\ ?
> 2) What was previously on the C:\ drive ?
> 3) On which drive is the Windows directory residing ?
> 4) Has the system been kept up to date in regards to *all* security
> updates ?
> 5) What Service Pack level is XP at now ?
>

> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Al Hausmann wrote:
>
> > Not sure how this happend, but almost all of my folders on C: were
> > overwritten with long numerical file names and the only file inside each
> > folder is: msxml4-KB927978-enu
> >
> > How can I get this returned back to normal?

Al Hausmann

Re: msxml4-KB927978-enu

MowGreen,
PS: after I made sure my machine was free from virus, and installing
f-secure and all updates, I thought I would install SP 3.
--
Al

Al Hausmann wrote:

> MowGreen,
> PS: after I made sure my machine was free from virus, and installing
> f-secure and all updates, I thought I would install SP 3.

And ... did it install ?
What's the state of the C:\ drive now ?

If there are numerous randomly named subfolders present that contain
"msxml4-KB927978-enu", you can view the files' extensions by going to
Folder Options in the Control Panel, click the View tab, and
UNcheck the box under Files and Folders next to " Hide extensions for
known file types ". Click Apply, OK.

If that's the case, please post back with the extension for the
"msxml4-KB927978-enu" files, please.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
Al Hausmann

Re: msxml4-KB927978-enu
They are all: msxml4-KB927978-enu.log
--
Al

"Al Hausmann" wrote:

> MowGreen,
> Anwers to QEDs:
> > 1) Is System Restore enabled on C:\ ? Yes it is, I did a restore to a month earlier, but it did not change the folders.

> > 2) What was previously on the C:\ drive ? C drive type folders... I did not pay that much attention... maybe the folders were not overwritten.... maybe these files were just created. I had a virus, backdoor.win32.agent.afqs. When trying to get rid of it I downloaded this program from www.whattheteck.com/hijackthis that was suppose to capture a log. I think the folders started appearing during the installation. I thought, according to microsoft knowledge base, that maybe this program was accessing the .net or xml component and created these folders.

> > 3) On which drive is the Windows directory residing ? C:

> > 4) Has the system been kept up to date in regards to *all* security
> > updates ? yes, religously

> > 5) What Service Pack level is XP at now ? sp2

> Regards,
> Al
>

> --
> Al
>

> "MowGreen" wrote:
>
> > That's *really* odd, Al. KB929978 came out in * November, 2006 *. Each
> > installation attempt for KB929978 will create randomly named subfolders
> > on the drive with the most free space.
> >
> > QEDs:
> > 1) Is System Restore enabled on C:\ ?
> > 2) What was previously on the C:\ drive ?
> > 3) On which drive is the Windows directory residing ?
> > 4) Has the system been kept up to date in regards to *all* security
> > updates ?
> > 5) What Service Pack level is XP at now ?
> >

> > MowGreen
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > Al Hausmann wrote:
> >
> > > Not sure how this happend, but almost all of my folders on C: were
> > > overwritten with long numerical file names and the only file inside each
> > > folder is: msxml4-KB927978-enu
> > >
> > > How can I get this returned back to normal?

Al Hausmann

Re: msxml4-KB927978-enu
MowGreen,
Well, I had contacted Microsoft via e-mail and we walked through several
steps that did not resolve the issue, they switched me to Microsoft Technical
Support and they removed the corrupted DLL and removed Office 2003 and about
5,000 registry entries. Then reinstalled a new Windows Installer DLL.

Success.
--
Al

"Al Hausmann" wrote:

> They are all: msxml4-KB927978-enu.log
> --
> Al
>

> "Al Hausmann" wrote:
>
> > MowGreen,
> > Anwers to QEDs:
> > > 1) Is System Restore enabled on C:\ ? Yes it is, I did a restore to a month earlier, but it did not change the folders.

> > > 2) What was previously on the C:\ drive ? C drive type folders... I did not pay that much attention... maybe the folders were not overwritten.... maybe these files were just created. I had a virus, backdoor.win32.agent.afqs. When trying to get rid of it I downloaded this program from www.whattheteck.com/hijackthis that was suppose to capture a log. I think the folders started appearing during the installation. I thought, according to microsoft knowledge base, that maybe this program was accessing the .net or xml component and created these folders.

> > > 3) On which drive is the Windows directory residing ? C:

> > > 4) Has the system been kept up to date in regards to *all* security
> > > updates ? yes, religously

> > > 5) What Service Pack level is XP at now ? sp2

> > Regards,
> > Al
> >

> > --
> > Al
> >

> > "MowGreen" wrote:
> >
> > > That's *really* odd, Al. KB929978 came out in * November, 2006 *. Each
> > > installation attempt for KB929978 will create randomly named subfolders
> > > on the drive with the most free space.
> > >
> > > QEDs:
> > > 1) Is System Restore enabled on C:\ ?
> > > 2) What was previously on the C:\ drive ?
> > > 3) On which drive is the Windows directory residing ?
> > > 4) Has the system been kept up to date in regards to *all* security
> > > updates ?
> > > 5) What Service Pack level is XP at now ?
> > >

> > > MowGreen
> > > ===============
> > > *-343-* FDNY
> > > Never Forgotten
> > > ===============

MowGreen

Re: msxml4-KB927978-enu
Glad to hear MS fixed this mysterious issue, Al. Sounds like they did a
thorough job here.
Thanks for posting back !

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY