Microsft Update Question

JamesJ

Microsft Update Question
Is there a difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update?
Can I use Microsoft Update exclusively?
Also when I try to load the Microsoft Update web page and try to install
the acivex the page don't load. Don't quite remember what the error
message was but it said, in brief, 'Can't load the web page you
requested...'

Thanks,
James

ANONYMOUS

Re: Microsft Update Question
Microsoft Update is a tool for all Microsoft updates - Windows, Office
and other Microsoft applications all in one place. Microsoft Update is a
new service that brings you all the features and benefits of Windows
Update plus downloads for other Microsoft applications including Office.

Windows Update only covers Windows Operating system including IE and OE.

You should use Microsoft Update if you want everything in one place.
The reason you may not be able to load the page is:

1) You may not have Administrator rights in that user account you are using;
2) You may need to install Active X by clicking on the yellow message
you get below the address bar in your browser.

hth

JamesJ wrote:

> Is there a difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update?
> Can I use Microsoft Update exclusively?
> Also when I try to load the Microsoft Update web page and try to install
> the acivex the page don't load. Don't quite remember what the error
> message was but it said, in brief, 'Can't load the web page you
> requested...'
>
> Thanks,
> James

JamesJ

Re: Microsft Update Question
I am the Administator and I did click to install the activex control.

James

"ANONYMOUS" <ANONYMOUS@EXAMPLE.COM> wrote in message
> Microsoft Update is a tool for all Microsoft updates - Windows, Office
> and other Microsoft applications all in one place. Microsoft Update is a
> new service that brings you all the features and benefits of Windows
> Update plus downloads for other Microsoft applications including Office.
>
> Windows Update only covers Windows Operating system including IE and OE.
>
> You should use Microsoft Update if you want everything in one place. The
> reason you may not be able to load the page is:
>
> 1) You may not have Administrator rights in that user account you are
> using;
> 2) You may need to install Active X by clicking on the yellow message you
> get below the address bar in your browser.
>
> hth
>

> JamesJ wrote:
>
>> Is there a difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update?
>> Can I use Microsoft Update exclusively?
>> Also when I try to load the Microsoft Update web page and try to install
>> the acivex the page don't load. Don't quite remember what the error
>> message was but it said, in brief, 'Can't load the web page you
>> requested...'
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

Re: Microsft Update Question
<QP>
What are the differences between Windows Updates, Automatic Updates, and
Microsoft Updates?

While Windows Update provides you with updates specifically for Windows,
Microsoft Update expands the service to download and install updates for
other Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Office and Windows Live.
Automatic updating is a feature that allows you to set your PC to
automatically download and install updates using either service, making it
easy and convenient for you to keep your Windows PC current.
</QP>
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...pdate/FAQ.mspx

You don't access Microsoft Update (or Windows Update) web-page in Vista
(SP1), you run Windows/Microsoft Update manually. See this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html

JamesJ wrote:
> Is there a difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update?
> Can I use Microsoft Update exclusively?
> Also when I try to load the Microsoft Update web page and try to install
> the acivex the page don't load. Don't quite remember what the error
> message was but it said, in brief, 'Can't load the web page you
> requested...'
>
> Thanks,
> James

JamesJ

Re: Microsft Update Question
I use Access Office 2007. That's why I was a bit curiuos.
I must run Microsoft Update manually or go to the Office web site
to get updates for office.

Thanks,
james

> <QP>
> What are the differences between Windows Updates, Automatic Updates, and
> Microsoft Updates?
>
> While Windows Update provides you with updates specifically for Windows,
> Microsoft Update expands the service to download and install updates for
> other Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Office and Windows Live.
> Automatic updating is a feature that allows you to set your PC to
> automatically download and install updates using either service, making it
> easy and convenient for you to keep your Windows PC current.
> </QP>
> Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...pdate/FAQ.mspx
>
> You don't access Microsoft Update (or Windows Update) web-page in Vista
> (SP1), you run Windows/Microsoft Update manually. See this tutorial:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> JamesJ wrote:
>> Is there a difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update?
>> Can I use Microsoft Update exclusively?
>> Also when I try to load the Microsoft Update web page and try to install
>> the acivex the page don't load. Don't quite remember what the error
>> message was but it said, in brief, 'Can't load the web page you
>> requested...'
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

Re: Microsft Update Question
See the tutorial I posted in my previous reply:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html

Illustration:
http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto.../noupdates.jpg

Click on the yellow "Get updates for more products" button (as illustrated
in the above) which will allow you to make Microsoft Update your default
update source. After doing so, you will be offered Office Updates via
Automatic Updates.

JamesJ wrote:
> I use Access Office 2007. That's why I was a bit curiuos.
> I must run Microsoft Update manually or go to the Office web site
> to get updates for office.
>
> Thanks,
> james

>> <QP>
>> What are the differences between Windows Updates, Automatic Updates, and
>> Microsoft Updates?
>>
>> While Windows Update provides you with updates specifically for Windows,
>> Microsoft Update expands the service to download and install updates for
>> other Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Office and Windows Live.
>> Automatic updating is a feature that allows you to set your PC to
>> automatically download and install updates using either service, making
>> it
>> easy and convenient for you to keep your Windows PC current.
>> </QP>
>> Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...pdate/FAQ.mspx
>>
>> You don't access Microsoft Update (or Windows Update) web-page in Vista
>> (SP1), you run Windows/Microsoft Update manually. See this tutorial:
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> JamesJ wrote:
>>> Is there a difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update?
>>> Can I use Microsoft Update exclusively?
>>> Also when I try to load the Microsoft Update web page and try to install
>>> the acivex the page don't load. Don't quite remember what the error
>>> message was but it said, in brief, 'Can't load the web page you
>>> requested...'
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James