Question on an IE update

Rage Skywolfe

Question on an IE update
I recently did a refrmat of windows and did all of the updates. but there
seemed to be a few missing on the update list. usualy on the add remove
control panel there would be three updates listed in the internet explorer
update. I only have two of those. and the release for Active X killbits I
have two listed but the one that is labeled KB956391 is not listed. as for
the IE update could it be that when you install IE 7 and it checks for the
updates for explorer that it is not showing in the add remove programs list
because of that?

Re: Question on an IE update
posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your current IE
version.

Assuming WinXP:

HOW TO get WinXP SP1 or SP2 fully patched after a "clean install"
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

HOW TO get WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched after a "clean
install"
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> I recently did a refrmat of windows and did all of the updates. but there
> seemed to be a few missing on the update list. usualy on the add remove
> control panel there would be three updates listed in the internet explorer
> update. I only have two of those. and the release for Active X killbits I
> have two listed but the one that is labeled KB956391 is not listed. as for
> the IE update could it be that when you install IE 7 and it checks for the
> updates for explorer that it is not showing in the add remove programs
> list
> because of that?

Rage Skywolfe

Re: Question on an IE update
alright, my full version on a clean install is sp2 and I have the sp3 update.
browser version is IE 7 I was just wondering why I am recieving most of the
updates that were issued but there arw a few that it didn't update to.

the following in the IE were the updates that were installed. and I will
include the others as well.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB963027)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2009 (KB890830
Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
Update for Windows XP (KB959772
Update for Windows XP (KB961118)
Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954154)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960803)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB961373)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB923561)
Update for Windows XP (KB967715)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958690)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960225)
Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB960715)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958687)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)
Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)
Update for Windows XP (KB955839
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB957097)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954459)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB955069)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)
Update for Windows XP (KB952287
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB951066)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
Security Update for Flash Player (KB923789)
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
Update for Windows XP (KB898461

and the genuine advantage validation tool.

if I am overstepping something here I am sorry but the list is basicaly to
let you know what has exactly installed. no other updates except for the
optional software such as windows media player 11, Microsoft Base Smart Card
Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86, net frame work 3.5 service pack
one. and two drivers that were from my system that needed to be updated.
basicaly what I was wondering is is that all that was supposed to install or
is there more?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your current IE
> version.
>
> Assuming WinXP:
>
> HOW TO get WinXP SP1 or SP2 fully patched after a "clean install"
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
>
> HOW TO get WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched after a "clean
> install"
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> > I recently did a refrmat of windows and did all of the updates. but there
> > seemed to be a few missing on the update list. usualy on the add remove
> > control panel there would be three updates listed in the internet explorer
> > update. I only have two of those. and the release for Active X killbits I
> > have two listed but the one that is labeled KB956391 is not listed. as for
> > the IE update could it be that when you install IE 7 and it checks for the
> > updates for explorer that it is not showing in the add remove programs
> > list
> > because of that?

Re: Question on an IE update
Assuming Automatic Updates is enabled & functional and running a CUSTOM scan
at Windows Update (website) does not offer any critical security updates,
you should be OK.

> ...browser version is IE 7

You sure about that? Your last posts says the IE6 version of KB963027 is
installed:

> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP
> (KB963027)

You were concerned that KB956391 wasn't installed/listed: KB956391 was
released on 14 Oct-08 but was superseded by KB950760 (10 Feb-09) which has
been installed. IOW, KB950760 includes everything in KB956391.

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
["clean install" = "new computer"]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> [...]
>> install"
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
>>> I recently did a refrmat of windows and did all of the updates. but
>>> there
>>> seemed to be a few missing on the update list. usualy on the add remove
>>> control panel there would be three updates listed in the internet
>>> explorer
>>> update. I only have two of those. and the release for Active X killbits
>>> have two listed but the one that is labeled KB956391 is not listed. as
>>> for
>>> the IE update could it be that when you install IE 7 and it checks for
>>> the
>>> updates for explorer that it is not showing in the add remove programs

Rage Skywolfe

Re: Question on an IE update
and yes automatic updates are enabled

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > Card
> > Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86, net frame work 3.5 service
> > pack
> > one. and two drivers that were from my system that needed to be updated.
> > basicaly what I was wondering is is that all that was supposed to install
> > or
> > is there more?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your current IE
> >> version.
> >>
> >> Assuming WinXP:
> >>
> >> HOW TO get WinXP SP1 or SP2 fully patched after a "clean install"
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
> >>
> >> HOW TO get WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched after a "clean

Rage Skywolfe

Re: Question on an IE update
yes I am on IE 7 now but the updatefor 6 was before 7 was installed and it
along with those other updates appeared with the critical updates. there were
two listed for IE 7
and those are KB963027 v-2 and (KB938127) this is the one I am missing for
IE KB960714
now if that has been updated or replaces, I am curious as to what the
update number is. as the other two are listed as software updates for IE 7

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > Card
> > Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86, net frame work 3.5 service
> > pack
> > one. and two drivers that were from my system that needed to be updated.
> > basicaly what I was wondering is is that all that was supposed to install
> > or
> > is there more?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your current IE
> >> version.
> >>
> >> Assuming WinXP:
> >>
> >> HOW TO get WinXP SP1 or SP2 fully patched after a "clean install"
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
> >>
> >> HOW TO get WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched after a "clean

Re: Question on an IE update
Is "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB963027)" listed in
Add/Remove Programs? If not, is it offered by Windows Update?

KB963027 supersedes KB960714.

Installing WinXP SP3 supersedes KB938127.

Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> [...]

>>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
>>> Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP
>>> (KB950760)
>>> Security Update for Flash Player (KB923789)
>>> Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
>>> Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
>>> Update for Windows XP (KB898461
>>>
>>> and the genuine advantage validation tool.
>>>
>>> if I am overstepping something here I am sorry but the list is basicaly
>>> let you know what has exactly installed. no other updates except for the
>>> optional software such as windows media player 11, Microsoft Base Smart
>>> Card
>>> Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86, net frame work 3.5 service
>>> pack
>>> one. and two drivers that were from my system that needed to be updated.
>>> basicaly what I was wondering is is that all that was supposed to

Rage Skywolfe

Re: Question on an IE update
ok.... but KB938127 was installed after sp3 was on the computer as I
installed that before I installed anything else.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB963027)" listed in
> Add/Remove Programs? If not, is it offered by Windows Update?
>
> KB963027 supersedes KB960714.
>
> Installing WinXP SP3 supersedes KB938127.
>

> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> > yes I am on IE 7 now but the updatefor 6 was before 7 was installed and it
> > along with those other updates appeared with the critical updates. there
> > were two listed for IE 7
> > and those are KB963027 v-2 and (KB938127) this is the one I am missing
> > for
> > IE KB960714
> > now if that has been updated or replaces, I am curious as to what the
> > update number is. as the other two are listed as software updates for IE 7
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming Automatic Updates is enabled & functional and running a CUSTOM
> >> scan at Windows Update (website) does not offer any critical security
> >> updates, you should be OK.

> >> You sure about that? Your last posts says the IE6 version of KB963027 is
> >> installed:

> >> You were concerned that KB956391 wasn't installed/listed: KB956391 was
> >> released on 14 Oct-08 but was superseded by KB950760 (10 Feb-09) which
> >> has
> >> been installed. IOW, KB950760 includes everything in KB956391.
> >>
> >> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> >> ["clean install" = "new computer"]
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
> >>
> >> Also see:
> >>
> >> Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Rage Skywolfe

Re: Question on an IE update
another question why is KB963027 listed as a security update for internet
explorer 6 in the updates list but in the add remove programs list it is
listed as an update for IE 7.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB963027)" listed in
> Add/Remove Programs? If not, is it offered by Windows Update?
>
> KB963027 supersedes KB960714.
>
> Installing WinXP SP3 supersedes KB938127.
>

> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> > yes I am on IE 7 now but the updatefor 6 was before 7 was installed and it
> > along with those other updates appeared with the critical updates. there
> > were two listed for IE 7
> > and those are KB963027 v-2 and (KB938127) this is the one I am missing
> > for
> > IE KB960714
> > now if that has been updated or replaces, I am curious as to what the
> > update number is. as the other two are listed as software updates for IE 7
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming Automatic Updates is enabled & functional and running a CUSTOM
> >> scan at Windows Update (website) does not offer any critical security
> >> updates, you should be OK.

> >> You sure about that? Your last posts says the IE6 version of KB963027 is
> >> installed:

> >> You were concerned that KB956391 wasn't installed/listed: KB956391 was
> >> released on 14 Oct-08 but was superseded by KB950760 (10 Feb-09) which
> >> has
> >> been installed. IOW, KB950760 includes everything in KB956391.
> >>
> >> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> >> ["clean install" = "new computer"]
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
> >>
> >> Also see:
> >>
> >> Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Question on an IE update
> ...why is KB963027 listed as a security update for internet
> explorer 6 in the updates list but in the add remove programs list it is
> listed as an update for IE 7.

What "updates list"? Assuming you're referring to Update History at Windows
Update website, what's the Installed date for KB963027-IE6 there & how was
it installed (e.g., Automatic Updates)? When was IE7 installed (according
to Update History at Windows Update)?

What's the Installed date for KB963027-IE7 in Add/Remove Programs and did
you install IE7 via Windows Update or Automatic Updates?

> KB938127 was installed after sp3 was on the computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480 very clearly states that KB938127 was
included in SP3. Whats the Installed date for KB938127 in Add/Remove
Programs? ...in Update History at Windows Update website?

The above notwithstanding, as long as a CUSTOM scan at Windows Updates does
not offer any critical security updates, you're good to go & can start
worrying about more important things like whirled peas.

Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> another question why is KB963027 listed as a security update for internet
> explorer 6 in the updates list but in the add remove programs list it is
> listed as an update for IE 7.

<paste>