Cannot Install Windows Genuine Advantage after Registering wups2.d

Bobson58

Cannot Install Windows Genuine Advantage after Registering wups2.d
At the command prompt, entering regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Completed successfully. Then checked for available updates. Told software
upgrades for some windows components required. Clicked download and install
now. Installing Update popup stated some updates were not installed,
specifically Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool KB892130.

Am trying to understand what I need to do to get the validation tool to
install so it will then allow automatic update to proceed. For example, after
registering a DLL do I need to reboot for it to take affect?

My wups2.dll is located in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\Ser viceStartup

and in C:\WINDOWS\system32

All update attempted over the past six months have failed. Thanks for any
help. Bob.
Ǝиçεl

RE: Cannot Install Windows Genuine Advantage after Registering wups2.d
Hello Bob,

Test this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working.

<http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>

Reboot

-=-

"Bobson58" wrote:

> At the command prompt, entering regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
> Completed successfully. Then checked for available updates. Told software
> upgrades for some windows components required. Clicked download and install
> now. Installing Update popup stated some updates were not installed,
> specifically Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool KB892130.
>
> Am trying to understand what I need to do to get the validation tool to
> install so it will then allow automatic update to proceed. For example, after
> registering a DLL do I need to reboot for it to take affect?
>
> My wups2.dll is located in:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\Ser viceStartup
>
> and in C:\WINDOWS\system32
>
> All update attempted over the past six months have failed. Thanks for any
> help. Bob.

Re: Cannot Install Windows Genuine Advantage after Registering wups2.d
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the affects of a hijackware
infection.

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm