XP SP3 not presetend if user is not an admin?

matthias79@gmail.com

XP SP3 not presetend if user is not an admin?
Hi there

I have set my fathers Win XP machine to automatically install all
updates from MicrosoftUpdate and i assumed that XP SP3 will be
installed by now.

But today i realized that it has been downloaded, but not installed.
He uses the PC with a "power user" account and not an admin account.

Other updates did install just fine, but not XP SP3.

Logging in with an Admin account promted me immediately to install
SP3, but since noone is using this machine with an admin account I'm
concerned that he will miss a few other updates as well in the future.

Is there a way to enable the installation for non-admins as well?

preferred would be without asking him any questions since he wont
understand them anyway.

btw: also the geniune advantage notification wasn’t installed either.

thanks,
Matthias
JS

Re: XP SP3 not presetend if user is not an admin?
Over View of All Groups in Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_groups.htm

Right click on the "My Computer" icon,
Select 'Manage'
Click on 'Local Users' and Groups
In the right and pane double click on 'Groups'
Click on 'Administrators'
Click on the 'Add' button. Click 'Advanced'
Click the 'Find Now' button.
Pick you Father's account name from the list
Click the 'OK' button and once again click "OK'

Now you Father is a member of the 'Administrators' group.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

<matthias79@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

Harry Johnston [MVP]

matthias79@gmail.com wrote:

> I have set my fathers Win XP machine to automatically install all
> updates from MicrosoftUpdate and i assumed that XP SP3 will be
> installed by now.
>
> But today i realized that it has been downloaded, but not installed.
> He uses the PC with a "power user" account and not an admin account.

Certain updates require explicit approval to install. By default, only an admin
is allowed to install such updates, but this can be changed:

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708449.aspx?ppud=4>

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...49.aspx?ppud=4

You probably want to enable the ElevateNonAdmins setting. The updates in
question still won't install automatically, but non-administrators will be
prompted to install them.

One side-effect to be aware of: this also allows non-admins to hide updates so
that they won't be installed.

Harry.