0X8007EFD errors

scrow

0X8007EFD errors
Unable to update thru Microsoft site. Operating system: XP, Version 5.1.26,
SP2. Appears to have started in March 08, when I first installed Trend Micro
Internet Security Pro. Uninstalled the program and reinstalled it, same
problem. Any ideas?
Ǝиçεl

RE: 0X8007EFD errors
0x80072EFD - That error indicates a failure to connect to the update servers
and is addressed in this KB. Are you on a home computer or behind a corporate
network/firewall?

0x80072EFD ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

<http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836941>

-=-

"scrow" wrote:

> Unable to update thru Microsoft site. Operating system: XP, Version 5.1.26,
> SP2. Appears to have started in March 08, when I first installed Trend Micro
> Internet Security Pro. Uninstalled the program and reinstalled it, same
> problem. Any ideas?

scrow

RE: 0X8007EFD errors
Home computer. No updates have completed since March 08. all failures. I have
again uninstalled the Trend Micro program

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> 0x80072EFD - That error indicates a failure to connect to the update servers
> and is addressed in this KB. Are you on a home computer or behind a corporate
> network/firewall?
>
> 0x80072EFD ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
>
> You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
> Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836941>
>
> -=-
>
> "scrow" wrote:
>
> > Unable to update thru Microsoft site. Operating system: XP, Version 5.1.26,
> > SP2. Appears to have started in March 08, when I first installed Trend Micro
> > Internet Security Pro. Uninstalled the program and reinstalled it, same
> > problem. Any ideas?

Re: 0X8007EFD errors
What anti-virus application or security suite was installed prior to
installing TMIS in Mar-08? (Or was it Mar-09?)

Have you purchased TMIS? If you have, when does your current subscription
expire?

scrow wrote:
> Home computer. No updates have completed since March 08. all failures. I
> have again uninstalled the Trend Micro program
>
> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>
>> 0x80072EFD - That error indicates a failure to connect to the update
>> servers and is addressed in this KB. Are you on a home computer or behind
>> a corporate network/firewall?
>>
>> 0x80072EFD ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
>>
>> You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use
>> Windows
>> Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
>>
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836941>
>>
>> -=-
>>
>> "scrow" wrote:
>>
>>> Unable to update thru Microsoft site. Operating system: XP, Version
>>> 5.1.26, SP2. Appears to have started in March 08, when I first installed
>>> Trend Micro Internet Security Pro. Uninstalled the program and
>>> reinstalled it, same problem. Any ideas?

scrow

Re: 0X8007EFD errors
Yes, it was originally March of 2008 for TMIS. The prior anti-virus was
Panda. TMIS, as I said, is again unistalled, but new license doesn't expire
until 2010, so I could re-install if I could ever get the XP SP3 to download.
I did the advanced steps in kb/836941 and flushed the DNS, the did the net
stop/start on the wuauserv. It finally did the download, but part of the way
thru the install, it said "access denied" and unistalled itself

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What anti-virus application or security suite was installed prior to
> installing TMIS in Mar-08? (Or was it Mar-09?)
>
> Have you purchased TMIS? If you have, when does your current subscription
> expire?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> scrow wrote:
> > Home computer. No updates have completed since March 08. all failures. I
> > have again uninstalled the Trend Micro program
> >
> > "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
> >
> >> 0x80072EFD - That error indicates a failure to connect to the update
> >> servers and is addressed in this KB. Are you on a home computer or behind
> >> a corporate network/firewall?
> >>
> >> 0x80072EFD ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
> >>
> >> You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use
> >> Windows
> >> Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
> >>
> >> <http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836941>
> >>
> >> -=-

Re: 0X8007EFD errors
And had your Panda subscription expired before you installed TMIS? I
suspect it had.

In any event, if the machine hasn't been fully patched since Mar-08...

Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

If the clean install leaves you with WinXP (no Service Packs), here's how to
get it fully patched:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

If the clean install leaves you with WinXP SP1 or SP2, here's how to get it
fully patched:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b