Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation fails install - other updates

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2009
Jim Pivonka
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation fails install - other updates
On a Windows XP SP2 machine I administer the April updates were successfully
downloaded and installed on April 17th. Today, April 24, Microsoft Update
showed a new update was available; it turned out to be a new WGAV
installation.

The WGAV tool downoad was successful. However the installation failed.

I believe that the general fixes for Windows Update install failures are
inapplicable in this case - Windows Install procedures worked fine for the
updates, including MS Office updates, 7 days ago.

Therefore it seems this install failure is specific to the new "Windows
Genuine Advantage Validation" tool package.

Can you provide me an explanation for this package specific failure, and a
work around to deal with it?
--
Sig under construction
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2009
Alias
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation fails install - other updates
Jim Pivonka wrote:
> On a Windows XP SP2 machine I administer the April updates were successfully
> downloaded and installed on April 17th. Today, April 24, Microsoft Update
> showed a new update was available; it turned out to be a new WGAV
> installation.
>
> The WGAV tool downoad was successful. However the installation failed.
>
> I believe that the general fixes for Windows Update install failures are
> inapplicable in this case - Windows Install procedures worked fine for the
> updates, including MS Office updates, 7 days ago.
>
> Therefore it seems this install failure is specific to the new "Windows
> Genuine Advantage Validation" tool package.
>
> Can you provide me an explanation for this package specific failure, and a
> work around to deal with it?


Why did you even allow that crap to be installed in the first place.
WGA/N is not only spyware, it does *nothing* to improve XP. SP3, which
you say is not installed, however, does improve XP.

Alias
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation fails install - other updates
Is this the same machine as in your later, "New behavior by machine at
shutdown after MS updates" thread in this newsgroup?

Are you referring to KB905474?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Jim Pivonka wrote:
> On a Windows XP SP2 machine I administer the April updates were
> successfully
> downloaded and installed on April 17th. Today, April 24, Microsoft Update
> showed a new update was available; it turned out to be a new WGAV
> installation.
>
> The WGAV tool downoad was successful. However the installation failed.
>
> I believe that the general fixes for Windows Update install failures are
> inapplicable in this case - Windows Install procedures worked fine for the
> updates, including MS Office updates, 7 days ago.
>
> Therefore it seems this install failure is specific to the new "Windows
> Genuine Advantage Validation" tool package.
>
> Can you provide me an explanation for this package specific failure, and a
> work around to deal with it?


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2009
Jim Pivonka
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation fails install - other upd
This thread is unique to machine "Grover". The later thread "New Behavior"
applies to both "Grover" and "Della". I will check the WGA update number
next time I am at the Grover site, probably later today.

Thanks, Jim P.
--
Sig under construction


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is this the same machine as in your later, "New behavior by machine at
> shutdown after MS updates" thread in this newsgroup?
>
> Are you referring to KB905474?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>
> Jim Pivonka wrote:
> > On a Windows XP SP2 machine I administer the April updates were
> > successfully
> > downloaded and installed on April 17th. Today, April 24, Microsoft Update
> > showed a new update was available; it turned out to be a new WGAV
> > installation.
> >
> > The WGAV tool downoad was successful. However the installation failed.
> >
> > I believe that the general fixes for Windows Update install failures are
> > inapplicable in this case - Windows Install procedures worked fine for the
> > updates, including MS Office updates, 7 days ago.
> >
> > Therefore it seems this install failure is specific to the new "Windows
> > Genuine Advantage Validation" tool package.
> >
> > Can you provide me an explanation for this package specific failure, and a
> > work around to deal with it?

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RE: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) install fails CAN U PLEASE HELP ME ? microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 11-18-2008 00:05
RE: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) install fails notvertigo microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 07-26-2008 02:13
RE: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) install fails jesse4349 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 06-09-2008 13:11
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) install fails epk-ohio microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 11-20-2007 03:36
RE: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) install fails adoolfy microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 11-06-2007 00:48




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:25.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120