After MS Update runs; "shim flush cach" wants to run on startup -

Jim Pivonka

After MS Update runs; "shim flush cach" wants to run on startup -
On machines I administer I have seen this month for the first time a request
that an operator "shim flush cache" be allowed to run on startup (I beleive
by rundll32 or somesuch).

Why is this happening? Should I allow, or disallow this new startup process?

What has changed that has caused this new event to occur after running
Microsoft Updates?

Thanks, Jim
--
Sig under construction

Re: After MS Update runs; "shim flush cach" wants to run on startup -
Are all three (3) of your recent threads in this newsgroup about the same
machine(s)?

What Windows version(s) are you referring to? What updates were installed?

Disk Subsystem Performance Analysis for Windows
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ubsys_perf.doc

Jim Pivonka wrote:
> On machines I administer I have seen this month for the first time a
> request
> that an operator "shim flush cache" be allowed to run on startup (I
> beleive
> by rundll32 or somesuch).
>
> Why is this happening? Should I allow, or disallow this new startup
> process?
>
> What has changed that has caused this new event to occur after running
> Microsoft Updates?
>
> Thanks, Jim

Jim Pivonka

Re: After MS Update runs; "shim flush cach" wants to run on startu
Three separate machines; all running XP SP2. Since I began watching details
of the automatic update process only after a couple of these events I had not
been keeping notes but this is how I remember it.

WGA install fail == Grover
New message and shut down routine == Della, Grover
shim flush cache (this thread) == Della, Pressa

both Della ans Pressa have USB hard drives attached and active. I will
acces the DSP analysis for Windows link you provided, and see what happens
there for those two machines.

I have access to Della and Pressa simultaneously, Grover is offsite. If
needed I can provide lists of the specific update packages for Pressa and
Grover, the list for Della was just posted at the "New behavior" (shut down
message and routine) thread.

Sig under construction

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are all three (3) of your recent threads in this newsgroup about the same
> machine(s)?
>
> What Windows version(s) are you referring to? What updates were installed?
>
> Disk Subsystem Performance Analysis for Windows
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ubsys_perf.doc

Re: After MS Update runs; "shim flush cach" wants to run on startu
See the support options I posted in my reply to one of your other threads.