Re: windows update does not work

Gus

Re: windows update does not work
Hi Patti MacLeod,
i did what you suggest for updating windows system.
They're work but why web browser open to google website instead to microsoft?

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> [...]
> regsvr32 softpub.dll
> Click on OK or hit ENTER
> Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box
>
> Start>Run and key in:
> regsvr32 msxml3.dll
> Click on OK or hit ENTER
> Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box
>
> Start>Run and key in:
> net.exe start wuauserv
>
> Now try the Windows Update site.
>
> Alternatively, you could create a command script file to run the above
> commands in a Command Prompt window......
>

> Go to Start>Run
> Key in:
> cmd
> Click on OK or hit ENTER
>
> In the Command Prompt window, key in:
> notepad registerit.cmd
> Hit ENTER
>
> A Notepad window will open with a dialogue box asking if you want to create
> a new file. Click on Yes in the dialogue box.
>
> Copy/paste the following, between but not including the asterisks, into the
> Notepad window:
>
> *********************
> net stop wuauserv
>
> regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
>
> regsvr32 /s wups.dll
>
> regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
>
> regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
>
> regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
>
> regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
>
> regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
>
> regsvr32 /s atl.dll
>
> regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
>
> regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
>
> net start wuauserv
> **********************
>
> When finished pasting the above commands into the Notepad window, go to
> File>Save then File>Exit.
>
> Back in the Command Prompt window, key in:
> registerit.cmd
> Then hit ENTER
>
> When the file is done running, and you're back at the C: prompt, key in:
> exit
> Then hit ENTER
>

> Now try the Windows Update site.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Jan" <Jan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have windows XP. I have it configured for automatic updates.
> >
> > Because I didn't see too many updates lately I was wondering if somethings
> > is wrong and I decided to check manually.
> >
> > So I went to:
> >
> > http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en
> >
> > and my browser shows me a page with this text:
> >
> > Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
> > software for use with the website.
> >
> > The website uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the

> software
> > your computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the
> > control is digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing

> it
> > to run.
> >
> > AND THAT IS IT. NOTHING MORE HAPPENS. NO CHECKING SEEMS TO TAKE PLACE AND

MowGreen

Re: windows update does not work
Gus,

Not Patty but since you've tacked on to a *really old* thread ...
the system is infected if the browser is behaving in such a manner.
Using Ineternet Explorer, see if the system can be scanned here:

If malware is detected, please post which one[s] and someone will advise
you as to what the next steps should be.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Gus wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>"Jan" <Jan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have windows XP. I have it configured for automatic updates.
>>>
>>>Because I didn't see too many updates lately I was wondering if somethings
>>>is wrong and I decided to check manually.
>>>
>>>So I went to:
>>>
>>>http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en
>>>
>>>and my browser shows me a page with this text:
>>>
>>>Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating
>>>software for use with the website.
>>>
>>>The website uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the

>>software
>>
>>>your computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the
>>>control is digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing

>>it
>>
>>>to run.
>>>
>>>AND THAT IS IT. NOTHING MORE HAPPENS. NO CHECKING SEEMS TO TAKE PLACE AND

Microsoft

Re: windows update does not work
Check DNS settings.