Windows Update Suddenly Starts Hanging Up. MS Support Solved Problem.

Bill D

Windows Update Suddenly Starts Hanging Up. MS Support Solved Problem.
All:

I have just had a good experience with MS Support regarding my problem with
Windows Update suddenly starting to hang and failing to download the latest
updates In my original message to them I discussed the steps that I had
taken to date. They included such things as re-registering files,
temporarily disabling AVG and ZoneAlarm, verifying that all the necessary
services were running etc, etc.

Below is a summary of the suggestions that I received from the MS Support
rep. In my case, bypassing the Linksys WRT54G2 and connecting directly to
the cable modem worked after rebooting. My computer always connects using
an Ethernet cable. I've since plugged the router back in as it was
originally and Windows Update now works perfectly again. !!!???? I may try
a firmware update if the problem resurfaces.

I've listed the Support Rep's suggestions here for others as it seems that
this problem is fairly common.

Microsoft Support wrote the following:

Please remove the router and connect the computer to the Internet directly.
This issue can be likely caused by incorrect router configurations.
If the issue still persists, this issue can be caused by many factors, such
as:
1. Corrupted system files.
2. Improper Internet Explorer settings.
We will address some of the more common causes of this issue. It is
important that we attempt to connect to the Windows Update web site after
each step to confirm whether the resolution has worked. This will prevent us
from having to proceed with additional troubleshooting steps and provide us
with valuable feedback to further develop our support resolutions for you
and our future customers. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Step 1: SFC
Based on the troubleshooting results, this issue can occur because of
corrupted system files. At this point I suggest using the System File
Checker tool (SFC.exe) to solve the issue:
1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command
Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all system files and will recover the
corrupted ones.
3. Please restart the computer and recheck the original issue.
Please let us know if this step has resolved it. If it has not, please
proceed to the next step.
Step 2 Reset Internet Explorer settings
=============================
1. Please open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", and click "Internet
Options".
2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.
3. Refer to "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" section, and click "Reset".
4. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.
5. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the
Browsing box.
6. Click "Apply", click "OK".
How to collect the System Information
=======================
The System Information can provide us with more information about the
current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send
it to me using the following steps:
1. Click "Start", type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start
System Information.
2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save",
type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on
the left pane, and click "Save".
How to collect the WindowsUpdate.log file
1. Click "Start", type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes) in the
Search Bar and Press Enter. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log"
2. Now click "File" and then click "Save As".
3. From the left panel, click "Desktop" and click "Save".