WSUS setting between Regkey and GP

Kevin Lee

WSUS setting between Regkey and GP
We have installed a new WSUS server in replace of the old one. After we have
change the registry entry for WUServer record, we found the setting on local
GP is not reflecting the changes.
Is this normal behavior? or the proper way is to change the new server via
GP not registry?

Florian Frommherz [MVP]

Re: WSUS setting between Regkey and GP
Kevin,

"Kevin Lee" wrote:
> We have installed a new WSUS server in replace of the old one. After we
> have change the registry entry for WUServer record, we found the setting
> on local GP is not reflecting the changes.
> Is this normal behavior? or the proper way is to change the new server via
> GP not registry?

GPEdit.msc does not give you a new on the local registry. It is actually a
view on a file that gets incorporated into the registry on logon/restart of
the machine. The correct way to change the WSUS server's IP/name would be
doing that with Group Policy/AD-Group Policy as that is the central place
you'd do that. Modifications of the local registry get overwritten by Group
Policy.

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.

Kevin Lee

Re: WSUS setting between Regkey and GP
Thanks.
Yes, the domain GPO works for desktop machine.
But we manually set the WSUS and the schedule on each server when we first
launch WSUS. So, there is no domain GP set for all servers.
In this case, do you think registry should work on servers? or I need to
modify the local policy?

"Florian Frommherz [MVP]" <florian@frickelsoft.PLEASELEAVETHISOUT.net> wrote
in message news:eK7SCOzwJHA.6068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Kevin,
>
> "Kevin Lee" wrote:
>> We have installed a new WSUS server in replace of the old one. After we
>> have change the registry entry for WUServer record, we found the setting
>> on local GP is not reflecting the changes.
>> Is this normal behavior? or the proper way is to change the new server
>> via GP not registry?

> GPEdit.msc does not give you a new on the local registry. It is actually a
> view on a file that gets incorporated into the registry on logon/restart
> of the machine. The correct way to change the WSUS server's IP/name would
> be doing that with Group Policy/AD-Group Policy as that is the central
> place you'd do that. Modifications of the local registry get overwritten
> by Group Policy.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
> --
> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
> eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
> blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.

Florian Frommherz [MVP]

Re: WSUS setting between Regkey and GP
Howdie!

"Kevin Lee" wrote:
> Yes, the domain GPO works for desktop machine.
> But we manually set the WSUS and the schedule on each server when we first
> launch WSUS. So, there is no domain GP set for all servers.
> In this case, do you think registry should work on servers? or I need to
> modify the local policy?

If neither is configured, you pretty much have the choice which method you
choose. "Administrative Templates" are nothing else than registry
modifications too - the only difference is that GPs get re-enforced in the
background periodically. If you don't need that functionality, you can stick
with a manual registry change. It is a question of how you manage your
machines - and how you document that. Would other (co-) administrators look
for the registry key directly in the first place or would they look for a GP
setting when changing the standalone server-behavior?

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.

Re: WSUS setting between Regkey and GP
[[ Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:
]]

Kevin Lee wrote:
> Thanks.
> Yes, the domain GPO works for desktop machine.
> But we manually set the WSUS and the schedule on each server when we first
> launch WSUS. So, there is no domain GP set for all servers.
> In this case, do you think registry should work on servers? or I need to
> modify the local policy?
>
>> GPEdit.msc does not give you a new on the local registry. It is actually
>> view on a file that gets incorporated into the registry on logon/restart
>> of the machine. The correct way to change the WSUS server's IP/name would
>> be doing that with Group Policy/AD-Group Policy as that is the central
>> place you'd do that. Modifications of the local registry get overwritten
>> by Group Policy.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Florian
>> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
>>
>> "Kevin Lee" wrote:
>>> We have installed a new WSUS server in replace of the old one. After we
>>> have change the registry entry for WUServer record, we found the setting
>>> on local GP is not reflecting the changes.
>>> Is this normal behavior? or the proper way is to change the new server
>>> via GP not registry?\

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Re: WSUS setting between Regkey and GP
> Kevin Lee wrote:

> But we manually set the WSUS and the schedule on each server when we first
> launch WSUS. So, there is no domain GP set for all servers.

I must ask... WHY!? Why do you not make use of Group Policy to configure
your servers?

> In this case, do you think registry should work on servers? or I need to
> modify the local policy?

Actually, you need to use GROUP POLICY.

But if you insist on not doing so, then your next *best* option is LOCAL
POLICY.

Never modify the registry directly when not required -- and it's not
required for WSUS -- and *especially* not on a production server!!!

And, let's keep your original question and its answer here as well. Your
general misunderstanding of how policy works flavors tremendously your
apparent decision to not use Group Policy. Note here that I'm not the first
person to tell you that you should be using Group Policy!

>>> We have installed a new WSUS server in replace of the old one. After we
>>> have change the registry entry for WUServer record, we found the setting
>>> on local GP is not reflecting the changes.

>> GPEdit.msc does not give you a new on the local registry. It is actually
>> a view on a file that gets incorporated into the registry on
>> logon/restart
>> of the machine.

>> The correct way to change the WSUS server's IP/name would
>> be doing that with Group Policy/AD-Group Policy as that is the central
>> place you'd do that. Modifications of the local registry get overwritten
>> by Group Policy.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Florian
>> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy

>>> Is this normal behavior? or the proper way is to change the new server
>>> via GP not registry?\

And to repeat everybody's point, since you did ask....

The *correct* way to change the server is using Group Policy.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com