Re: IE 7 Won't Open Any Page

[Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB963027)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB963027). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=====================================

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB963027).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

Support for Windows Update:

DavidH wrote:
> Since installing (via Windows Update) several Windows updates last week,
> IE7
> no longer functions on XP Pro on my home computer.
>
> I reinstalled IE7 3 times last night and there was no change. Firefox
> works
> just fine, and the Internet connection test on IE said the connection was
> fine. I reviewed all of the connection and other settings in the options
> and they seem to be fine. I ran scans with Symantec AV and AdAware, both
> with their latest updates, and also a scan with Hijack This to see if
> there
> was anything that looked suspicious, with no success anywhere.
>
> I have done nothing else on the computer, other than install updates for
> my
> various protective programs, so I have to surmise that one of the Windows
> updates of last week is responsible. Any advice would be helpful.

DavidH

Re: IE 7 Won't Open Any Page
Thanks for the information, Robear. That's a really ugly solution though.
My wife may have to get used to using Firefox, at least til I get some time
to fix her IE.

Re: IE 7 Won't Open Any Page
<pft> The entire procedure should take 5-10 minutes, max.

DavidH wrote:
> Thanks for the information, Robear. That's a really ugly solution though.
> My wife may have to get used to using Firefox, at least til I get some
> time
> to fix her IE.

Don Varnau

Re: IE 7 Won't Open Any Page
Don't assume the worst :-o

If a third-party firewall/security suite is blocking iexplore.exe from
accessing the internet, you *may* simply have to open the offending program
and place IE in the "allow" list. Or... you may have to work through PA
Bear's steps.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"DavidH" <DavidH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsA786662-A7F9-4AA9-9D3D-94D1AB63F324@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the information, Robear. That's a really ugly solution though.
> My wife may have to get used to using Firefox, at least til I get some

time
> to fix her IE.

Bob L

Re: IE 7 Won't Open Any Page
I use Zone Alarm as my firewall and had the same problem with the latest
update. I tried the below procedure but with no joy. I then looked at the
list of programs in Zone Alarm to see what access was set at and found that
somehow IE7 had become blocked for all access. I don't know how this
happened but after I reset the permissions, IE7 worked fine. Note: I found
that I had to restart IE7 before it could again access the Internet.

> [Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>
> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> following:
>
> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
> real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
> Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
> guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
> Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
> (e.g.,
> browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
> application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
> may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>
> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB963027)"
> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top
> right)
> and reboot.
>
> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>
> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
> Updates
> offered (i.e., KB963027). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
> Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
> enhanced security.
>
> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
> third-party firewall.

DavidH

Re: IE 7 Won't Open Any Page
Sorry to take so long to report back and thanks for all the helpful input.

I also use ZA Free as my firewall and when I tried to check the program
access, the control panel came up totally blank. After trying a few times to
open it, I uninstalled ZA and reinstalled it (you mentioned that, Robear).
Once it was working again, I opened IE and after granting it the permissions
requested, it works fine. It seems that the update messed up ZA, which had
been working fine up until that night, which in turn blocked IE. Considering
the number of people who use ZA, Microsoft should consider conflicts with it
in their updates.