problem: is it possible to install an older "update" over a newer

Johnny_84

problem: is it possible to install an older "update" over a newer
Hello!

I turn to thee in desparation!

I have bought myself a laptop which had more ticks then a dog ...

As I have updated my SP2c (Hungarian) XP Pro to SP3 before installing all
the component drivers (to avoid installing SP3 over too many prevoiusly
installed drivers), I ended up installing a 3rd party provided windows
"update" pack that seemingly installed older (post sp2 pre sp3) updates over
my already installed sp3 ...

Is it possible that this "update" overwrote newer files that were installed
during the sp3 setup, without me being notified???

--
With thanks,
Johnny_84
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: problem: is it possible to install an older "update" over a newer
Johnny_84 wrote:

> As I have updated my SP2c (Hungarian) XP Pro to SP3 before installing all
> the component drivers (to avoid installing SP3 over too many prevoiusly
> installed drivers), I ended up installing a 3rd party provided windows
> "update" pack that seemingly installed older (post sp2 pre sp3) updates over
> my already installed sp3 ...

Could you describe the signs or symptoms that make you think this may have happened?

> Is it possible that this "update" overwrote newer files that were installed
> during the sp3 setup, without me being notified???

Unlikely, but possible. It's also possible (perhaps even probable) that the
"update" is actually malicious software. It's safest to get Windows updates
directly from Microsoft.

Harry.
Johnny_84

Re: problem: is it possible to install an older "update" over a ne
Thank you for the quick response!

It's most certainly not malware (it came with the installation software of
the computer - a HP laptop - I was working on)

I haven't noticed anything odd in the behaviour of the computer... as of
yet. The way i know thet this might have happened is that the installation
file, labeled "QFS", was sopposed to contain solutions to laptop-specific
issues.

I noticed only after the install that it was meant for SP2 machines, and
contained (probably decrepid) MS quick-fixes and updates, that I assume were
incuded (in an emproved form) in the SP3...

I'm quite worried that I may have inadvertently installed older files then
the ones included in SP3, which could lead to security vulnerabilities I
would need to know about...

How come Windows didn't warn me? It ususally does warn if newer files are
about to be overwritten by older ones.

Is there any way to check the integrity of the entire install, and that no
older files were installed in the place of newer ones to save me the time of
reinstalling Windows SP2c, the entire driver suite and then upgrading again
to SP3?

With regard
--
John Szeckler

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Johnny_84 wrote:
>
> > As I have updated my SP2c (Hungarian) XP Pro to SP3 before installing all
> > the component drivers (to avoid installing SP3 over too many prevoiusly
> > installed drivers), I ended up installing a 3rd party provided windows
> > "update" pack that seemingly installed older (post sp2 pre sp3) updates over
> > my already installed sp3 ...

> Could you describe the signs or symptoms that make you think this may have happened?
>
> > Is it possible that this "update" overwrote newer files that were installed
> > during the sp3 setup, without me being notified???

> Unlikely, but possible. It's also possible (perhaps even probable) that the
> "update" is actually malicious software. It's safest to get Windows updates
> directly from Microsoft.
>
> Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: problem: is it possible to install an older "update" over a ne
Johnny,

Provided the HP software installed the updates properly, those that were out of
date wouldn't have made any changes to your system. Normally if the update
doesn't apply to the service pack level it would product an error message, but
the HP software probably suppressed this and just ignored the fact that the
updates hadn't actually installed. (Or perhaps it realized they weren't needed
and never even tried.)

I don't know of any way to check for downgraded files, but unless you are having
problems I wouldn't suggest taking any extreme measures. It is unlikely that
any files would have been downgraded.

Harry.

Johnny_84 wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response!
>
> It's most certainly not malware (it came with the installation software of
> the computer - a HP laptop - I was working on)
>
> I haven't noticed anything odd in the behaviour of the computer... as of
> yet. The way i know thet this might have happened is that the installation
> file, labeled "QFS", was sopposed to contain solutions to laptop-specific
> issues.
>
> I noticed only after the install that it was meant for SP2 machines, and
> contained (probably decrepid) MS quick-fixes and updates, that I assume were
> incuded (in an emproved form) in the SP3...
>
> I'm quite worried that I may have inadvertently installed older files then
> the ones included in SP3, which could lead to security vulnerabilities I
> would need to know about...
>
> How come Windows didn't warn me? It ususally does warn if newer files are
> about to be overwritten by older ones.
>
> Is there any way to check the integrity of the entire install, and that no
> older files were installed in the place of newer ones to save me the time of
> reinstalling Windows SP2c, the entire driver suite and then upgrading again
> to SP3?
>
> With regard

Johnny_84

Re: problem: is it possible to install an older "update" over a ne
Tank you for the advice ...

Yours greatefully, John Szeckler
--
Johnny_84