April Security Update causing Internet Problem

PJ

April Security Update causing Internet Problem
Installed the latest security update. Since installing, I am able to connect
to internet for a while and then my browser (IE7 and Firefox) freezes. My
connection still shows that I am connected to the Internet. Any ideas?

I have no problem sending and receiving email using Outlook as my email
client. I believe this only happens to my laptop using my WiFi connection.
Desktop connected via CAT5 cable seems to work fine. Any ideas???
Shenan Stanley

Re: April Security Update causing Internet Problem
PJ wrote:
> Installed the latest security update. Since installing, I am able
> to connect to internet for a while and then my browser (IE7 and
> Firefox) freezes. My connection still shows that I am connected to
> the Internet. Any ideas?
>
> I have no problem sending and receiving email using Outlook as my
> email client. I believe this only happens to my laptop using my
> WiFi connection. Desktop connected via CAT5 cable seems to work
> fine. Any ideas???

If you uninstall said update - what is the result?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PJ

Re: April Security Update causing Internet Problem
I had to do a system restore. Internet worked fine. Not sure which one of
the several security patches is giving me the problem.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> PJ wrote:
> > Installed the latest security update. Since installing, I am able
> > to connect to internet for a while and then my browser (IE7 and
> > Firefox) freezes. My connection still shows that I am connected to
> > the Internet. Any ideas?
> >
> > I have no problem sending and receiving email using Outlook as my
> > email client. I believe this only happens to my laptop using my
> > WiFi connection. Desktop connected via CAT5 cable seems to work
> > fine. Any ideas???

> If you uninstall said update - what is the result?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: April Security Update causing Internet Problem
Why did you use System Restore when Shenan asked you to uninstall the
update(s)?

PJ wrote:
> I had to do a system restore. Internet worked fine. Not sure which one
> of
> the several security patches is giving me the problem.
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> PJ wrote:
>>> Installed the latest security update. Since installing, I am able
>>> to connect to internet for a while and then my browser (IE7 and
>>> Firefox) freezes. My connection still shows that I am connected to
>>> the Internet. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> I have no problem sending and receiving email using Outlook as my
>>> email client. I believe this only happens to my laptop using my
>>> WiFi connection. Desktop connected via CAT5 cable seems to work
>>> fine. Any ideas???

>> If you uninstall said update - what is the result?
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

PJ

Re: April Security Update causing Internet Problem
Was unaware of how to remove just the updates.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Why did you use System Restore when Shenan asked you to uninstall the
> update(s)?
>
> PJ wrote:
> > I had to do a system restore. Internet worked fine. Not sure which one
> > of
> > the several security patches is giving me the problem.

> >> If you uninstall said update - what is the result?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Shenan Stanley
> >> MS-MVP
> >> --
> >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

billgfc

RE: April Security Update causing Internet Problem
Hi there,

I have almost the same exact problem. I can not connect to the home network
at all! I can while wired in at work. I have a Dell D800 XP Pro SP 3. I can
connect at cofee shop sometimes, but then cut off.

I spent two hrs with Dell and we finally did system restore to April 14 and
then I get noral access again. Then it does auto updates and after the
windows gen advantage window comes up and I click all gone again. Last time I
ignored the gen advantage window, BUT problem started again.

I am using all genuine software. So for now I just sytem restore and
hopefully I have stopped auto updates! If there is some uninstalling to do,
need to know how and what.

I cannot be only one with this issue

suggestions?

billgfc wrote:
> I have almost the same exact problem. I can not connect to the home
> network at all! I can while wired in at work. I have a Dell D800
> XP Pro SP 3. I can connect at cofee shop sometimes, but then cut
> off.
>
> I spent two hrs with Dell and we finally did system restore to
> April 14 and then I get noral access again. Then it does auto
> updates and after the windows gen advantage window comes up and I
> click all gone again. Last time I ignored the gen advantage window,
> BUT problem started again.
>
> I am using all genuine software. So for now I just sytem restore
> and hopefully I have stopped auto updates! If there is some
> uninstalling to do, need to know how and what.
>
> I cannot be only one with this issue
>
> suggestions?

Install the updates manually - from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ -
one at a time. Rebooting and testing between each install. Either you will
find and report the update that is causing this issue for you or you will
get through all High Priority updates and not have a problem. Do not do any
OPTIONAL (software or hardware) for this test - just the high-priority ones.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP