windows update corrupts my kernel

nacron is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
windows update corrupts my kernel
Reposting it because the microsoft news group people don't want me to post a similar problem in another thread.

I went to sleep on the 15th and woke up
with windows telling me that it updated and had to restart. I shut
down the computer becuase I had somewhere to go. Insted of shutting
down, it rebooted itself and told me that the kernel was corrupted. I
just shut down my computer with the power button because I had to go.
Came back home and tried to fix it with the vista recovery from the
dvd and it replaced the kernel file but then told me that the system
registry file was corrupted. I attempted to copy the backup in the
config folder but it didn't work. Used the vista disk to restore from
the backup point and chose the point where the windows update
installed. Restarted and it still had a corrupt registry. Tried again
with the only other point that was available which was the day prior
at 9pm and i'm back up and running again. I'm going to stop the
windows update from finishing and backup my hard drive. these are the
updates listed right now:

KB963027
KB952004
KB956572
KB959426
KB960803
KB890830
KB905866
KB960003
KB959997

I think one of the updates corrupted my files. My hard drive is pretty
new, just got it less than 2 months ago.

I have Windows Vista SP1 running on my Dell Inspiron 6000.

[update since my post in someone else's post]
I installed the first update and restarted and it went fine so I went about my business and later when I went to shut down windows it told forced me to install the updates. The update corrupted my kernel again and now I can't restore because the restore app keeps crashing saying the memory could not be read. I've tested my memory and hard drive and they both pass withot problems. How can I get my computer restored now that the restore program crashes from the vista dvd?
H Brown

Re: windows update corrupts my kernel
Why are you using a DVD disc to roll back to a date prior to April 15, 2009
when everything was working? Why not use Vista's System Restore tool, did
you turn that off too?

If you have Vista configured to automatically _Download and Install_ updates
on a daily basis and also are letting it up date other MS software such as
MS office 2007, I see no reason that any of the updates you listed would
have caused your problem.

But Based on your list of updates you are not using auto updates or you
don't have Vista configured to Auto Install and you are trying to
select/chose which updates/patches you think are needed. So I would guess
that prior to you going to sleep on the 15th (I assume April, 2009) you
selected these 9 updates to install and then went to sleep to wake up and
find Vista prompting for a restart so it could finish installing. Then it
was at that point, when you say "I shut down the computer" and this is when
you started having your problem. When you did have the time later you
should have used Vista's System Restore tool to roll back your computer to a
date prior to the 15th. Of course, if you have also disabled/Turned Off
System Restore on your computer prior to the 15th that wouldn't work.

The information you have provided in your post is important but not nearly
as important as what you are not saying. Example, how many other updates
and I talking about Important and Recommend updates over time have you
chosen _not_ to install. I ask that because there are updates that are
required as a prerequisite that should be installed prior to and in order
for some future updates to work properly, even the update feature/utility
itself.

Not that I think your issue is related to your new hard drive, but is this
"pretty new" hard drive a replacement for an old hard drive that you removed
or is this an additional hard drive. I want to think its a replacement and
that you did a fresh install of the OS on this new drive and this was all
done prior to the 15th.

My recommendation #1, is to use Vista's System Restore tool and roll your
computer back to a date (e.g.14th) prior to having your issue. (System
restore creates
restore points everyday so if the new HHD was installed, for example on the
8th you should have restore points that you can use from the 8th through the
14th) If that takes care of things, then configure your machine to
automatically install updates everyday. I would also make sure you check
the boxes to include Recommended updates and the one next to Use Microsoft
updates. So Now, *Windows Vista Update* will be able to update itself
automatically Before it even checks for other updates/patches that your
system needs. Further if you use the correct power configurations, Windows
Update will wake the computer, download and install your updates, restart to
finish the install process (when required) and then return the system to its
prior power state before it woke up the computer to update it.
(As a side note, if this was the first time you have tried to perform
updates since installing some old/new antivirus program, it is possible it
could
cause problems at times installing updates. Based on what you have said I
don't think that's what caused your problem.

Recommendation #2, if you can't Roll back to a date using System Restore.
Then I would at the very least restore the system back to Factory settings.
Yes, flatten, get back to how it was the first day you started it up.
Go to
http://support.dell.com/support/inde...n&s=dhs&~ck=mn
under the heading Windows Vista Support click on the link "How to Restore
Your Computer's Software to the Factory Settings" on the page that opens,
click on the link "Manually Reinstall Your Operating System. The next page
opens, click the link with the arrow "I am using Microsoft Windows Vista,
this will open step by step instructions you need to take ,
Before,During,and After.
If you should get the option to do a custom install, choosing that may give
you a way to get rid of all/most of the bundled and often useless software
that Dell and other OEMs include with their builds that you don't use or
want/need to begin with and that are using resources of your system,
things like toolbars etc.etc. and/or other trial stuff. Don't install those
extras you don't really use.

As far as using the Dell "PC Restore" Note that: The Dell restore programs
only work on pre-imaged hard drives shipped from Dell and are not options
when trying to reinstall on a new or blank hard drive.

A couple of last thoughts. Did you check your update History to see which
updates of the 9 were installed if any and in what order. Did you check the
add and remove programs in Control Panel to see if any of those 9 were
listed there. If found did you
The only possible conflict I can note in your list of 9 updates are the two
below. If by going to the web and downloading various updates and
installing later and you did not have the prerequisite service pack
installed, then I would guess Windows / office would have had something to
say about installing the two service packs noted below. (But none of this
changes my mind as to how I would based on your information correct the
problem if it were me.)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960003
KB960003 This security update is a post Office Compatibility Pack Service
Pack 1 security update. To install the security update, you must have
"Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 1" installed.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959997
KB959997 This security update is a post 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service
Pack 1 security update. To install the security update, you must have "2007
Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1" installed.

The reason I would reinstall the OS, is that given the information you
provided and some that may have skipped your mind and not knowing for sure
the amount of time it could take to trouble shoot / research and pinpoint
each and every possible cause of this issue, I figure that the time it would
take me to find and properly fix would excide the time to do a clean install
that covers all my bases as far as software/drivers problems are concerned.
Then I would leave Vista set with its defaults for security, do my daily
work/task from a standard user account. I would make sure as I installed 3rd
party software to set restore points and run the software, take it for a
good test drive to see if it is working as expected. Same for hardware
devices. One at a time test then to the next making sure each had the
latest updates/patches/drivers that worked. You can customize Vista all you
want, just make sure you *fully understand all* the effects your changes
will have to the system not just your standard account. Oh, one more thing,
it is more than likely a good idea not to power down during any install
process that you have OK-ed. Vista update is one you do not want to power
down until complete once you have given your final permission to install the
Updates. I suppose if you did some unexpected results may occur.

H Brown

"nacron" <nacron.3qx80f@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Reposting it because the microsoft news group people don't want me to
> post a similar problem in another thread.
>

> I went to sleep on the 15th and woke up
> with windows telling me that it updated and had to restart. I shut
> down the computer becuase I had somewhere to go. Insted of shutting
> down, it rebooted itself and told me that the kernel was corrupted. I
> just shut down my computer with the power button because I had to go.
> Came back home and tried to fix it with the vista recovery from the
> dvd and it replaced the kernel file but then told me that the system
> registry file was corrupted. I attempted to copy the backup in the
> config folder but it didn't work. Used the vista disk to restore from
> the backup point and chose the point where the windows update
> installed. Restarted and it still had a corrupt registry. Tried again
> with the only other point that was available which was the day prior
> at 9pm and i'm back up and running again. I'm going to stop the
> windows update from finishing and backup my hard drive. these are the
> updates listed right now:
>
> KB963027
> KB952004
> KB956572
> KB959426
> KB960803
> KB890830
> KB905866
> KB960003
> KB959997
>
> I think one of the updates corrupted my files. My hard drive is pretty
>
> new, just got it less than 2 months ago.
>
> I have Windows Vista SP1 running on my Dell Inspiron 6000.
> [update since my post in someone else's post]
> I installed the first update and restarted and it went fine so I went
> about my business and later when I went to shut down windows it told
> forced me to install the updates. The update corrupted my kernel again
> and now I can't restore because the restore app keeps crashing saying
> the memory could not be read. I've tested my memory and hard drive and
> they both pass withot problems. How can I get my computer restored now
> that the restore program crashes from the vista dvd?
>

> --
> nacron

Re: windows update corrupts my kernel
NEVER use System Restore to "undo" updates!!!!

H Brown wrote:
> [...]
>> KB960803
>> KB890830
>> KB905866
>> KB960003
>> KB959997
>>
>> I think one of the updates corrupted my files. My hard drive is pretty
>>
>> new, just got it less than 2 months ago.
>>
>> I have Windows Vista SP1 running on my Dell Inspiron 6000.
>> [update since my post in someone else's post]
>> I installed the first update and restarted and it went fine so I went
>> about my business and later when I went to shut down windows it told
>> forced me to install the updates. The update corrupted my kernel again
>> and now I can't restore because the restore app keeps crashing saying
>> the memory could not be read. I've tested my memory and hard drive and
>> they both pass withot problems. How can I get my computer restored now
>> that the restore program crashes from the vista dvd?

Thanks for the information PA Bear
I Don't think the OP ever got any of the updates to install to begin with.
That's also why I asked him to check his update history and add and remove
programs in his control panel. Assuming, if he found any he would try an
uninstall/remove first. He had already tried god knows what.

I Don't, use restore for that propose because I have never had to. But then
again I have never power down a computer during an install of Updates.

Will you point me in the right direction so I can understand as well as you
do why one should not use System Restore concerning MS Update.
If you would I would be grateful.

H Brown

> [...]
>>> down the computer becuase I had somewhere to go. Insted of shutting
>>> down, it rebooted itself and told me that the kernel was corrupted. I
>>> just shut down my computer with the power button because I had to go.
>>> Came back home and tried to fix it with the vista recovery from the
>>> dvd and it replaced the kernel file but then told me that the system
>>> registry file was corrupted. I attempted to copy the backup in the
>>> config folder but it didn't work. Used the vista disk to restore from
>>> the backup point and chose the point where the windows update
>>> installed. Restarted and it still had a corrupt registry. Tried again
>>> with the only other point that was available which was the day prior
>>> at 9pm and i'm back up and running again. I'm going to stop the
>>> windows update from finishing and backup my hard drive. these are the

>>> KB952004
>>> KB956572
>>> KB959426
>>> KB960803
>>> KB890830
>>> KB905866
>>> KB960003
>>> KB959997
>>>
>>> I think one of the updates corrupted my files. My hard drive is pretty
>>>
>>> new, just got it less than 2 months ago.
>>>
>>> I have Windows Vista SP1 running on my Dell Inspiron 6000.
>>> [update since my post in someone else's post]
>>> I installed the first update and restarted and it went fine so I went
>>> about my business and later when I went to shut down windows it told
>>> forced me to install the updates. The update corrupted my kernel again
>>> and now I can't restore because the restore app keeps crashing saying
>>> the memory could not be read. I've tested my memory and hard drive and
>>> they both pass withot problems. How can I get my computer restored now
>>> that the restore program crashes from the vista dvd?
>>>

>>> --
>>> nacron

nacron is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: windows update corrupts my kernel
Several points of clarification. I _always_ have had automatic updates on until this point. That's why Windows downloaded and installed in the first place. Needless to say, because automatic updates was on, it should have all the most critical updates to that point. Secondly, the updates were quite done when I shut down my computer. I simply chose shut down instead of restart like it asked to because I had somewhere to go and did not have time to wait for it to restart so I could just shut down again. Thirdly, my computer did not come with Windows Vista. It came with Windows XP and I decided that I wanted to upgrade to Vista. I did a clean install of Vista after backing up all my data to DVD. That was probably more than a year ago. Recently I picked up a 250gb Western Digital hard drive because it was the largest I could get for PATA, which this laptop has. I imaged it using the Seagate/Maxtor tool because the 100GB existing hard drive was a Maxtor. It imaged fine and it worked good until the 15th.

The reason I used the restore tool via the Vista DVD was because I _could not_ boot into Windows. It was also the last resort option I had during the recovery phase. I put the DVD in after windows told me that the ntkrnlpa.exe was corrupt or missing. It ran the boot recovery and according the logs was unable to replace or recover ntkrnlpa.exe so it ran a roll back. I restarted the computer after that and then it told me that the registry at \windows\system32\config\system was corrupt or missing. I ran the DVD again and ran the boot recovery and restarted and it just spat out the same error. I then decided to run the restore tool. There was only 2 points of restoration so I chose the one marked windows update. It didn't change anything so I chose the later automatic check point and it allowed me to get back into Windows.

I quickly disabled windows update from automatically installing the updates, but I told it to download the updates. I chose the first update and ran it and it restarted fine. I then had some work to do so I went about my business and came back to shut down my computer and it started installing all the updates before it would shut down.

I came back later and it gave me the same ntkrnlpa.exe corruption message. I ran the DVD, then it came back to the registry corruption. This time I chose to restore. I had 4 restore points: a April 18 (windows update), April 18 (Normal Restore Point), April 17 (windows update), and April 17 (normal restore point). I tried every one and it gives me the error:

rstrui.exe
The instruction at 0x7452060a referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read

I can't get the restore working past this point. I ran chkdsk and the windows memory test and they both came out with no errors.

Another point of note is that I have a Mandriva Linux partition on the same hard drive and I can boot to it and use it fine. In fact I'm using it right now. So it appears that the hard drive is fine.

Any other questions?

Re: windows update corrupts my kernel
If one suspects an update has caused a problem, one uninstalls the update.

H Brown wrote:
> [...]
>>> party software to set restore points and run the software, take it for a
>>> good test drive to see if it is working as expected. Same for hardware
>>> devices. One at a time test then to the next making sure each had the
>>> latest updates/patches/drivers that worked. You can customize Vista all
>>> you
>>> want, just make sure you *fully understand all* the effects your changes
>>> will have to the system not just your standard account. Oh, one more
>>> thing,
>>> it is more than likely a good idea not to power down during any install
>>> process that you have OK-ed. Vista update is one you do not want to
>>> power
>>> down until complete once you have given your final permission to install
>>> the
>>> Updates. I suppose if you did some unexpected results may occur.

And you would be replying to...?

Tip: Setting up Windows Mail (Vista) to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/

nacron wrote:
> [...]
>

> I came back later and it gave me the same ntkrnlpa.exe corruption
> message. I ran the DVD, then it came back to the registry corruption.
> This time I chose to restore. I had 4 restore points: a April 18
> (windows update), April 18 (Normal Restore Point), April 17 (windows
> update), and April 17 (normal restore point). I tried every one and it
> gives me the error:
>

> rstrui.exe
> The instruction at 0x7452060a referenced memory at 0x00000000. The
> memory could not be read
>

> I can't get the restore working past this point. I ran chkdsk and the
> windows memory test and they both came out with no errors.
>

> Another point of note is that I have a Mandriva Linux partition on the
> same hard drive and I can boot to it and use it fine. In fact I'm using
> it right now. So it appears that the hard drive is fine.

You say you can't boot in to Windows Vista. Have you tried using Safe mode.
You say the updates all installed, however through auto update you were
still offered the same updates. Check your update history to see which of
any of the 9 updates in question were successfully installed. Look in your
control panel under add and remove to see if any of those updates can be
uninstalled. If you find updates in see if uninstalling will work and see
if you can reinstall.
If it were me and nothing I did or tried got Vista back in to a stable state
I would reinstall Vista.

H Brown

"nacron" <nacron.3qyt0a@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>

> I came back later and it gave me the same ntkrnlpa.exe corruption
> message. I ran the DVD, then it came back to the registry corruption.
> This time I chose to restore. I had 4 restore points: a April 18
> (windows update), April 18 (Normal Restore Point), April 17 (windows
> update), and April 17 (normal restore point). I tried every one and it
> gives me the error:
>

> rstrui.exe
> The instruction at 0x7452060a referenced memory at 0x00000000. The
> memory could not be read
>

> I can't get the restore working past this point. I ran chkdsk and the
> windows memory test and they both came out with no errors.
>

> Another point of note is that I have a Mandriva Linux partition on the
> same hard drive and I can boot to it and use it fine. In fact I'm using
> it right now. So it appears that the hard drive is fine.

Thanks for your reply
H Brown
> If one suspects an update has caused a problem, one uninstalls the update.
>
> H Brown wrote:
>> Thanks for the information PA Bear
>> I Don't think the OP ever got any of the updates to install to begin
>> with.
>> That's also why I asked him to check his update history and add and
>> remove
>> programs in his control panel. Assuming, if he found any he would try an
>> uninstall/remove first. He had already tried god knows what.
>>
>> I Don't, use restore for that propose because I have never had to. But
>> then
>> again I have never power down a computer during an install of Updates.
>>
>> Will you point me in the right direction so I can understand as well as
>> you
>> do why one should not use System Restore concerning MS Update.
>> If you would I would be grateful.
>>
>> H Brown

>>> NEVER use System Restore to "undo" updates!!!!

nacron is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: windows update corrupts my kernel