Windows Update won't load (error number 0x80072EFD)

Toby

Windows Update won't load (error number 0x80072EFD)
Just got a new computer with Win XP SP3 preinstalled. I was able to update
initially and installed all critical updates. Now I am unable to get the site
to load; it "checks" forever and eventually tells me the page cannot be
viewed. I have tried various solutions presented on this NG. Firewall is off.
I have scanned numerous times for malware using NAV, Malewarebites and other
proggys. Tried remming the SoftwareDistribution folder in c:\Windows. Any
further suggestions would be much appreciated

Re: Windows Update won't load (error number 0x80072EFD)
One post is sufficient, Toby.

> ...Firewall is off.

NEVER connect the machine to the internet without a firewall (e.g., Windows
Firewall)!!

Is Automatic Updates enabled? Is this a sudden, new problem?

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

Did NAV (or NIS or N360) come preinstalled on the machine when you bought
it? Have you purchased it yet?

Toby wrote:
> Just got a new computer with Win XP SP3 preinstalled. I was able to update
> initially and installed all critical updates. Now I am unable to get the
> site to load; it "checks" forever and eventually tells me the page cannot
> be
> viewed. I have tried various solutions presented on this NG. Firewall is
> off. I have scanned numerous times for malware using NAV, Malewarebites
> and
> other proggys. Tried remming the SoftwareDistribution folder in
> c:\Windows.
> Any further suggestions would be much appreciated

Toby

Re: Windows Update won't load (error number 0x80072EFD)
Thanks for the reply.

The multiple post was unintentional. I kept getting an error page and was
trying to get back to my post, but apparently each time the message was being
posted. IE is not my favorite browser, but I am forced to use it for MS
stuff...

The firewall was off only for a test, in case for some reason it was
blocking the Update exchange. I am not a total noob.

I installed NAV, and the initial update using Windows Update was not a
problem after that install. All critical updates are in, and in fact
Automatic Updates also seems to be OK, since I did receive one critical
update that way after I was unable to connect to the site.

It is not temporary. I have been trying to connect for two days, at
different locations. On one network updates worked fine on a different
computer, so I think we can rule out a 'net problem.

I had this problem once when I had Vondo, so I ran various malware scanners,
to no avail. A full scan with NAV, Malewarebytes, Super AntiSpyware. All
negative.

I have installed some software since the last successful connection,
including Skype, Firefox, Photoshop, an Internet proxy, benchmarking, Disk
monitor, Foxit, Sorenson Squeeze, Comodo firewall, Flashget, Ultrafractal. I
cannot see how any of these would cause or affect the problem, but when I
tried to reach Updates to download Media Player 11 I could suddenly not get
connected, and have not been able to do so since.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do not look forward
to a reinstall of the OS.

Toby

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> One post is sufficient, Toby.
>
> > ...Firewall is off.

> NEVER connect the machine to the internet without a firewall (e.g., Windows
> Firewall)!!
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Is this a sudden, new problem?
>
> You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
> Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
>
> Did NAV (or NIS or N360) come preinstalled on the machine when you bought
> it? Have you purchased it yet?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Toby wrote:
> > Just got a new computer with Win XP SP3 preinstalled. I was able to update
> > initially and installed all critical updates. Now I am unable to get the
> > site to load; it "checks" forever and eventually tells me the page cannot
> > be
> > viewed. I have tried various solutions presented on this NG. Firewall is
> > off. I have scanned numerous times for malware using NAV, Malewarebites
> > and
> > other proggys. Tried remming the SoftwareDistribution folder in
> > c:\Windows.
> > Any further suggestions would be much appreciated

Re: Windows Update won't load (error number 0x80072EFD)
Is this a brand-new computer or a new-for-you computer?

Are you running IE6, IE7, or IE8? If either of the latter, when & how did
you install it?

Did a free-trial of an anti-virus application or security suite come
preinstalled when you bought it?

If you disable Comodo Firewall and enable the Windows Firewall, does the
behavior persist?

What do you mean when you say you installed "an Internet proxy"?

What anti-virus application was installed when you got the Vundo infection?
How did you clean-up the Vundo, et al., infections? Did you install NAV
after you'd gotten the Vundo infection? Have you purchased NAV?

Toby wrote:
> [...]

>> it? Have you purchased it yet?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Toby wrote:
>>> Just got a new computer with Win XP SP3 preinstalled. I was able to
>>> update
>>> initially and installed all critical updates. Now I am unable to get the
>>> site to load; it "checks" forever and eventually tells me the page
>>> cannot
>>> be
>>> viewed. I have tried various solutions presented on this NG. Firewall is
>>> off. I have scanned numerous times for malware using NAV, Malewarebites
>>> and
>>> other proggys. Tried remming the SoftwareDistribution folder in
>>> c:\Windows.
>>> Any further suggestions would be much appreciated

TaurArian

Re: Windows Update won't load (error number 0x80072EFD)
My guess is the "Internet proxy" that's causing the problem.
Uninstall/disable the same and try WU again.

"Toby" wrote:

> [...]

> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> >

> > Toby wrote:
> > > Just got a new computer with Win XP SP3 preinstalled. I was able to update
> > > initially and installed all critical updates. Now I am unable to get the
> > > site to load; it "checks" forever and eventually tells me the page cannot
> > > be
> > > viewed. I have tried various solutions presented on this NG. Firewall is
> > > off. I have scanned numerous times for malware using NAV, Malewarebites
> > > and
> > > other proggys. Tried remming the SoftwareDistribution folder in
> > > c:\Windows.
> > > Any further suggestions would be much appreciated

Toby

Re: Windows Update won't load (error number 0x80072EFD)
Thanks to all, the problem is sorted.

In fact it was a proxy problem. My brother lives in the hills and he
installed "Proxifier" so that I could connect through his network. This in
and of itself is not a problem, but for whatever esoteric reason, he needed
to do a proxyconfig so that Windows could connect to the update site. Why
this is different from any other site I don't know, but apparently it is.
Anyway, he didn't reset the command to the default, so when I was on a normal
connection, without Proxifier running, Windows couldn't connect....>:-/

I thank everyone for their time and effort and apologize again for the
multiple posts.

Toby