Update KB967715 tries to install multiple times

JJ-

Update KB967715 tries to install multiple times
PC was infected with virus(es)/trojan horse(s), paid Norton $100 yesterday to
clean it. The referenced update tries to install every time I reboot PC;
checking update history, it shows that the update has been installed multiple
times.
JJ-

RE: Update KB967715 tries to install multiple times
running XP SP3

"JJ-" wrote:

> PC was infected with virus(es)/trojan horse(s), paid Norton $100 yesterday to
> clean it. The referenced update tries to install every time I reboot PC;
> checking update history, it shows that the update has been installed multiple
> times.

Re: Update KB967715 tries to install multiple times
See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38665

Or see the revised & expanded FAQ & Known Issues section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715 (e.g., "Update 967715 is reoffered
multiple times").

JJ- wrote:
> running XP SP3
>
>> PC was infected with virus(es)/trojan horse(s), paid Norton $100
>> yesterday
>> to clean it. The referenced update tries to install every time I reboot
>> PC; checking update history, it shows that the update has been installed
>> multiple times.

Shenan Stanley

JJ- wrote:
> running XP SP3

What do you mean you, "... paid Norton $100 yesterday to clean it ..."?

What was the specific name of the virus/trojan/worm/malware that you had?
(Surely you remember - you paid money to have it removed - some research
must have been done for you to know to do that...)

Which Norton product(s) do you now have installed?

Essentially - I am thinking your machine is not likely clean of all of the
infestations/infections it may have had and/or the damage caused still
exists (think of it like this: just because you killed the termites doesn't
mean the wood they have bored through is now back to the way it was.)

Do some additional cleanup and repair of your updating system...

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

In any case - did you go and read about the update you are trying to
install?

How to disable the Autorun functionality in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

In particular - the section titled, "Known issues with this security update"
which has a sub-section titled, "Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times";
which, if I am not mistaken, is exactly what you are describing.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

JJ-

Re: Update KB967715 tries to install multiple times
So it looks unrelated to the malware - that's reassuring. Thanks for the
quick response.