Windows Update finds Update that's already installed?

Sirius

Windows Update finds Update that's already installed?
Hello,

I have Vista, and a problem with Framework 3.5.
I saw other posts in this regard, but mine is not quite the same.

The installation of the newest SP1 family pack was just hanging. No error
messages.I turned off the firewall just in case. Hard drive was blinking and
in the task manager it was running, but I could not stop it.
I let it run over night and in the morning it was still at the same point.
So I gave up on it and downloaded and installed it manually with the repair
function, then uninstall, reinstall. And all of this went fast on a speedy
hardware.
The trouble is, Windows Update found the update as if it's not there. So I
am a bit confused, do I really have it or not?
It's in the installed programs list, but is it the same as the one Windows
update finds?

The file name was : dotnetfx35setup.exe (x86)

Now I did start this suggested update from Windows Update after the manual
update to see what would happen,
but it just hangs at 0%. I waited for and hour, then gave up.
If it's not the same, where do I find this update for manual installation
and what's the name of the exe file?

Any suggestions would be great.

Re: Windows Update finds Update that's already installed?
1. Before doing anything else, write down the .NET Framework versions which
are already installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

2. Now see Resolution Method 2 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
(ignore the title). After running the appropriate/needed tool, (re)install
all .NET Framework versions manually using the download links on the page.