Windows update offers me KB923561

gianniotis

Windows update offers me KB923561
I downloded the latest updates 2 days ago. Since then Windows Update keeps
offering me KB923561 (which appears to be sucsesfully installed). I tried to
download the patch on safe mode but it didn't help.

Any suggestion is most welcome.

Thanks a lot !

Re: Windows update offers me KB923561

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB923561).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

gianniotis wrote:
> I downloded the latest updates 2 days ago. Since then Windows Update keeps
> offering me KB923561 (which appears to be sucsesfully installed). I tried
> download the patch on safe mode but it didn't help.
>
> Any suggestion is most welcome.
>
> Thanks a lot !

Bandit

Re: Windows update offers me KB923561
its a bug in the update, just hide that update then it wont appear. goto
update.microsoft.com then in settings hide it. check to see if its in
add/remove programs if it is then its installed ok just a glitch in patch.

> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> KB923561).
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> gianniotis wrote:
>> I downloded the latest updates 2 days ago. Since then Windows Update
>> keeps
>> offering me KB923561 (which appears to be sucsesfully installed). I tried
>> download the patch on safe mode but it didn't help.
>>
>> Any suggestion is most welcome.
>>
>> Thanks a lot !

Re: Windows update offers me KB923561
It's not the simple, Bandit. It's OK to hide the update if and only if
"Security Update for Windows [XP; Vista; etc.] (KB923561)" is listed in
Add/Remove Programs.
--
~PA Bear

Bandit wrote:
> its a bug in the update, just hide that update then it wont appear. goto
> update.microsoft.com then in settings hide it. check to see if its in
> add/remove programs if it is then its installed ok just a glitch in patch.

>> in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
>> with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
>> KB923561).
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>

>> gianniotis wrote:
>>> I downloded the latest updates 2 days ago. Since then Windows Update
>>> keeps
>>> offering me KB923561 (which appears to be sucsesfully installed). I
>>> tried
>>> download the patch on safe mode but it didn't help.
>>>
>>> Any suggestion is most welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot !

gianniotis

Re: Windows update offers me KB923561
Hi again,

The update is indeed listed in the Add/remove Programs. Therefore, according
to the last post, it is safe to considered this patch as loaded and fully
functional.
Correct?

Once again,

Thanks a lot !

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> It's not the simple, Bandit. It's OK to hide the update if and only if
> "Security Update for Windows [XP; Vista; etc.] (KB923561)" is listed in
> Add/Remove Programs.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Bandit wrote:
> > its a bug in the update, just hide that update then it wont appear. goto
> > update.microsoft.com then in settings hide it. check to see if its in
> > add/remove programs if it is then its installed ok just a glitch in patch.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> >> in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> >> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
> >> with
> >> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> >> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> >> KB923561).
> >>
> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >>
> >> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> >> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> >> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >>
> >> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> >> through your usual support contacts.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Re: Windows update offers me KB923561
Yes, it's OK to hide the update if it's listed in Add/Remove Programs *and*
Update History at Windows Update website says it installed.

gianniotis wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> The update is indeed listed in the Add/remove Programs. Therefore,
> according
> to the last post, it is safe to considered this patch as loaded and fully
> functional.
> Correct?
>
> Once again,
>
> Thanks a lot !
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> It's not the simple, Bandit. It's OK to hide the update if and only if
>> "Security Update for Windows [XP; Vista; etc.] (KB923561)" is listed in
>> Add/Remove Programs.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Bandit wrote:
>>> its a bug in the update, just hide that update then it wont appear. goto
>>> update.microsoft.com then in settings hide it. check to see if its in
>>> add/remove programs if it is then its installed ok just a glitch in
>>> patch.

Bandit

Re: Windows update offers me KB923561
another fix & u can undo hide that update:

Step 1: Rename the ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe files

1. Close all open windows.

2. Open "My Computer".

3. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32.

Note: I assume the system is installed on the C: drive. If it is installed
on another drive, please modify the above location accordingly.

4. Find the ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe files and right-click, and select
"Rename". Change the names to "ntkrnlpa.old" and "ntoskrnl.old". Make sure
you press "Enter" after typing in the new names so the changes are executed.

Step 2: Download the update from the following link

=======================================

1. Please visit the following link to download the KB956572 installation
file.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...72-x86-ENU.exe

2. Save it to the Hard Disk C (C:\).

3. Click "Start" and click "Run".

4. In the Open box, copy in "C:\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe
/overwriteoem" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter".

Note: There is a space between "C:\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe" and
"/overwriteoem"

After this, please restart the machine and try to visit the Windows Update
site again to check if the Update KB956572 is still listed.

worked for me

> Yes, it's OK to hide the update if it's listed in Add/Remove Programs
> *and* Update History at Windows Update website says it installed.
>
> gianniotis wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> The update is indeed listed in the Add/remove Programs. Therefore,
>> according
>> to the last post, it is safe to considered this patch as loaded and fully
>> functional.
>> Correct?
>>
>> Once again,
>>
>> Thanks a lot !
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> It's not the simple, Bandit. It's OK to hide the update if and only if
>>> "Security Update for Windows [XP; Vista; etc.] (KB923561)" is listed in
>>> Add/Remove Programs.
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

gianniotis

Re: Windows update offers me KB923561

I am puzzled by the last post: My problem is with KB923561 - why should I
download and install manually KB956572?

"Bandit" wrote:

> another fix & u can undo hide that update:
>

> Step 1: Rename the ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe files
>
> 1. Close all open windows.
>
> 2. Open "My Computer".
>
> 3. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32.
>

> Note: I assume the system is installed on the C: drive. If it is installed
> on another drive, please modify the above location accordingly.
>

> 4. Find the ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe files and right-click, and select
> "Rename". Change the names to "ntkrnlpa.old" and "ntoskrnl.old". Make sure
> you press "Enter" after typing in the new names so the changes are executed.
>

> Step 2: Download the update from the following link
>
> =======================================
>
> 1. Please visit the following link to download the KB956572 installation
> file.
>

> Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...72-x86-ENU.exe
>

> 2. Save it to the Hard Disk C (C:\).
>
> 3. Click "Start" and click "Run".
>
> 4. In the Open box, copy in "C:\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe
> /overwriteoem" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter".
>

> Note: There is a space between "C:\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe" and
> "/overwriteoem"
>

> After this, please restart the machine and try to visit the Windows Update
> site again to check if the Update KB956572 is still listed.
>

> worked for me

> > Yes, it's OK to hide the update if it's listed in Add/Remove Programs
> > *and* Update History at Windows Update website says it installed.
> >
> > gianniotis wrote:
> >> Hi again,
> >>
> >> The update is indeed listed in the Add/remove Programs. Therefore,
> >> according
> >> to the last post, it is safe to considered this patch as loaded and fully
> >> functional.
> >> Correct?
> >>
> >> Once again,
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot !

Bandit

Re: Windows update offers me KB923561
sorry wrong post my mistake

"gianniotis" <gianniotis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am puzzled by the last post: My problem is with KB923561 - why should I
> download and install manually KB956572?
>
> "Bandit" wrote:
>
>> another fix & u can undo hide that update:
>>

>> Step 1: Rename the ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe files
>>
>> 1. Close all open windows.
>>
>> 2. Open "My Computer".
>>
>> 3. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32.
>>

>> Note: I assume the system is installed on the C: drive. If it is
>> installed
>> on another drive, please modify the above location accordingly.
>>

>> 4. Find the ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe files and right-click, and
>> select
>> "Rename". Change the names to "ntkrnlpa.old" and "ntoskrnl.old". Make
>> sure
>> you press "Enter" after typing in the new names so the changes are
>> executed.
>>

>> Step 2: Download the update from the following link
>>
>> =======================================
>>
>> 1. Please visit the following link to download the KB956572 installation
>> file.
>>

>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)
>>
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...72-x86-ENU.exe
>>

>> 2. Save it to the Hard Disk C (C:\).
>>
>> 3. Click "Start" and click "Run".
>>
>> 4. In the Open box, copy in "C:\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe
>> /overwriteoem" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter".
>>

>> Note: There is a space between "C:\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe" and
>> "/overwriteoem"
>>

>> After this, please restart the machine and try to visit the Windows
>> Update
>> site again to check if the Update KB956572 is still listed.
>>

>> worked for me

>> > Yes, it's OK to hide the update if it's listed in Add/Remove Programs
>> > *and* Update History at Windows Update website says it installed.

gianniotis

Windows update offers me KB923561
No worries!

Thanks for your help!