Realtek update failing to install.

Esprit350

Realtek update failing to install.
I have Win XP sp3. An optional update is coming up -

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio
Date last published: 4/4/2009
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Audio software update released in February, 2009
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
More information

http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20245120

This fails to install and asks for the SP3 CD to be inserted (a ksuser file
is missing according to the update)- SP3 was installed via update not CD so I
have no CD - I found the missing file it wanted but it still fails to install
and says another file is missing... I raised this with support and they said
I have to go to Realtek for support on this......this is not what the update
says, it is also not a Realtek issue - Microsoft update is the delivery tool
and is failing to do its job as far as I can see. The support info on the
update says microsoft but they are not interested.

Any one out there who would like to assist please?
Dreanmachine

RE: Realtek update failing to install.
I am having the exact same problem with my Win XP SP3 systems (2 of them).
However, this update worked fine on my 2 Win Vista (32 bit and 64 bit)
systems. Help??

"Esprit350" wrote:

> I have Win XP sp3. An optional update is coming up -
>
> Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio
> Date last published: 4/4/2009
> Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Audio software update released in February, 2009
> System Requirements
> Recommended CPU: Not specified.
> Recommended memory: Not specified.
> Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
> Get help and support
> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
> More information
>
> http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20245120
>
> This fails to install and asks for the SP3 CD to be inserted (a ksuser file
> is missing according to the update)- SP3 was installed via update not CD so I
> have no CD - I found the missing file it wanted but it still fails to install
> and says another file is missing... I raised this with support and they said
> I have to go to Realtek for support on this......this is not what the update
> says, it is also not a Realtek issue - Microsoft update is the delivery tool
> and is failing to do its job as far as I can see. The support info on the
> update says microsoft but they are not interested.
>
> Any one out there who would like to assist please?

Esprit350

RE: Realtek update failing to install.
Hi,
I got it to work - the stupid update is looking in the wrong place for some
of the files - ksuser.dll and ks.sys.
If you do a search for these files then run the update, or run the driver
update from Realtek's web site, the install stops and asks for the sp3 cd -
just use "browse" and enter the path for the file it says it can't find (the
paths you found in your earlier search)....do this to both files and it
works, on my PC anyway. It is not showing as a required update anymore and
installed ok.

Obviously not tested very well by Realtek or Microsoft!!

Good luck.