Can't start Windows Update Service

mrb.vincent@gmail.com

Can't start Windows Update Service
Background -
Running Windows XP SP3. Got several different viruses, trojansm and
spyware. I cleaned everything off but couldn't get Windows Update
Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service to start. I
noticed the file Path to Executable was incorrect (instead of
"system32" it said "fystem32" in both services). I edited that in the
registry and it is now correct in the Service snap in.

Now when I try to start the services it says access denied. When I go
in to
change the log on account is says access denied as well. I checked
the permissions on svchost and it already said Everyone had Full
Control so I didn't touch it. Anyone have any ideas?

Ǝиçεl

RE: Can't start Windows Update Service
Time to format. ;-)

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512587.aspx>

"mrb.vincent@gmail.com" wrote:

> Background -
> Running Windows XP SP3. Got several different viruses, trojansm and
> spyware. I cleaned everything off but couldn't get Windows Update
> Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service to start. I
> noticed the file Path to Executable was incorrect (instead of
> "system32" it said "fystem32" in both services). I edited that in the
> registry and it is now correct in the Service snap in.
>
> Now when I try to start the services it says access denied. When I go
> in to
> change the log on account is says access denied as well. I checked
> the permissions on svchost and it already said Everyone had Full
> Control so I didn't touch it. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Can't start Windows Update Service
You may have (much) more work to do.

tool on an uninfected machine and then transfer it to the target machine.

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075