KB963027 - possible problem

Howard Walker 635

KB963027 - possible problem
Since KB963027 was installed during an automatic update on 15 April 2009, I
have been unable to signi in on the Adobe Dreamweaver forums login page (got
to http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa, select Dreamweaver and then enter a
username and password.)
IE7 will no longer allow me to enter any information in the password field,
and contiuously shows the egg timer, despite stating done aat the bottom of
the page.

I can access and log in on all the other browsers on my system, so I must
put this down to IE7 or Adobe.
Has anyone else had any problems with this?

Howard Walker

Re: KB963027 - possible problem
posting to this newsgroup.

Howard Walker 635 wrote:
> Since KB963027 was installed during an automatic update on 15 April 2009,
> have been unable to signi in on the Adobe Dreamweaver forums login page
> (got to http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa, select Dreamweaver and then
> enter a username and password.)
> IE7 will no longer allow me to enter any information in the password
> field,
> and contiuously shows the egg timer, despite stating done aat the bottom
> of
> the page.
>
> I can access and log in on all the other browsers on my system, so I must
> put this down to IE7 or Adobe.
> Has anyone else had any problems with this?
>
> Howard Walker

Howard Walker 635

Re: KB963027 - possible problem
Sorry about that - I should have known.

Windows XP Service pack 3 fully updated with all patches.

Howard Walker

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Howard Walker 635 wrote:
> > Since KB963027 was installed during an automatic update on 15 April 2009,
> > have been unable to signi in on the Adobe Dreamweaver forums login page
> > (got to http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa, select Dreamweaver and then
> > enter a username and password.)
> > IE7 will no longer allow me to enter any information in the password
> > field,
> > and contiuously shows the egg timer, despite stating done aat the bottom
> > of
> > the page.
> >
> > I can access and log in on all the other browsers on my system, so I must
> > put this down to IE7 or Adobe.
> > Has anyone else had any problems with this?
> >
> > Howard Walker

Re: KB963027 - possible problem
Thank you.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. If still no joy and before uninstalling KB963027 (which I would NOT
recommend)...

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is
47830).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Howard Walker 635 wrote:
> Sorry about that - I should have known.
>
> Windows XP Service pack 3 fully updated with all patches.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> Howard Walker 635 wrote:
>>> Since KB963027 was installed during an automatic update on 15 April
>>> 2009,
>>> I have been unable to signi in on the Adobe Dreamweaver forums login
>>> page
>>> (got to http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa, select Dreamweaver and then
>>> enter a username and password.)
>>> IE7 will no longer allow me to enter any information in the password
>>> field,
>>> and contiuously shows the egg timer, despite stating done aat the bottom
>>> of
>>> the page.
>>>
>>> I can access and log in on all the other browsers on my system, so I
>>> must
>>> put this down to IE7 or Adobe.
>>> Has anyone else had any problems with this?
>>>
>>> Howard Walker

Howard Walker 635

Re: KB963027 - possible problem
Having tested it again tonight, it now works OK again - I must assume that
re-booting the machine has cleared whatever the problem was.
Thanks for your help and sorry to trouble you.
Howard Walker

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 5. If still no joy and before uninstalling KB963027 (which I would NOT
> recommend)...

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).
>
> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
> above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is
> 47830).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> Howard Walker 635 wrote:
> > Sorry about that - I should have known.
> >
> > Windows XP Service pack 3 fully updated with all patches.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.

Re: KB963027 - possible problem
YW & thanks for your feedback. Assisting you here was no trouble at all,
Howard.

Had you not rebooted (and/or were you not prompted to reboot) after you'd
installed KB963027 and the rest of the Apr-09 updates on the 15th?

Howard Walker 635 wrote:
> Having tested it again tonight, it now works OK again - I must assume that
> re-booting the machine has cleared whatever the problem was.
> Thanks for your help and sorry to trouble you.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Thank you.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>
>> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> machine
>>
>> 5. If still no joy and before uninstalling KB963027 (which I would NOT
>> recommend)...

>> in
>> with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
>> KB999999).
>>
>> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
>> above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which
>> is
>> 47830).
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through
>> your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>

>> Howard Walker 635 wrote:
>>> Sorry about that - I should have known.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Service pack 3 fully updated with all patches.

Howard Walker 635

Re: KB963027 - possible problem
No - I was not prompted to re-boot. Most times updates install without the
need to re-boot. I had rebooted though between the update and using the
machine the next day, so it may not have been due to the update that the
problem occurred.
It seemed odd that I could use other browsers to access the site. I have
three available that I use when testing web sites that I write. Must have
been just a quirk.

Best wishes
Howard

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> >> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> >> KB999999).
> >>
> >> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
> >> above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which
> >> is
> >> 47830).
> >>
> >> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> >> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> >> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >>
> >> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> >> through
> >> your usual support contacts.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)

Something was definitely amiss then: The install process for KB963027 (and
several other of the Apr-09 updates for WinXP SP3) requires a reboot, even
if IE wasn't running in the background when it was installed.

How is Automatic Updates configured on your machine: Automatic; Download but
Notify; or Notify Only (pick one)?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

~PA Bear

Howard Walker 635 wrote:
> No - I was not prompted to re-boot. Most times updates install without the
> need to re-boot. I had rebooted though between the update and using the
> machine the next day, so it may not have been due to the update that the
> problem occurred.
> It seemed odd that I could use other browsers to access the site. I have
> three available that I use when testing web sites that I write. Must have
> been just a quirk.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> YW & thanks for your feedback. Assisting you here was no trouble at all,
>> Howard.
>>
>> Had you not rebooted (and/or were you not prompted to reboot) after you'd
>> installed KB963027 and the rest of the Apr-09 updates on the 15th?
>>
>> Howard Walker 635 wrote:
>>> Having tested it again tonight, it now works OK again - I must assume
>>> that
>>> re-booting the machine has cleared whatever the problem was.
>>> Thanks for your help and sorry to trouble you.

Ricks503

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Howard Walker 635 wrote:
> > Since KB963027 was installed during an automatic update on 15 April 2009,
> > have been unable to signi in on the Adobe Dreamweaver forums login page
> > (got to http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa, select Dreamweaver and then
> > enter a username and password.)
> > IE7 will no longer allow me to enter any information in the password
> > field,
> > and contiuously shows the egg timer, despite stating done aat the bottom
> > of
> > the page.
> >
> > I can access and log in on all the other browsers on my system, so I must
> > put this down to IE7 or Adobe.
> > Has anyone else had any problems with this?
> >
> > Howard Walker

> I have a similar problem, in that after this KB963027 update ran Windows Explorer 7 has stopped running. My computer sees I am connected to the internet but IE will not go anywhere - I get a page cannot be displayed error for every site. Firefox continues to work. If I uninstall the update IE works fine

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 on an HP computer with an AMD
Athalon 5600+. Evidently IE 8 has this updated in it, because when I tried
updating to IE 8 I had the same problem and had to back out of the upgrade.
MPayne31

Re: KB963027 - possible problem

I am a help desk admin for a small company running XP Pro with IE6 and
IE7 browsers. Recently computers with KB963027 have been unable to
access internal servers as the pop-up login box is not appearing. If I
VPN into our network, the pop-up box appears. Computers without this IE
update are not experiencing this issue.

Is there a fix other than uninstalling and blocking this update?

--
MPayne31
MPayne31's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/103382.htm

http://forums.techarena.in