Windows Update: Notify: Delayed or Not Working?

ira

Windows Update: Notify: Delayed or Not Working?
Hello:

I have Windows Update set to "Notify me, but Do Not Automatically Download
or Install" . I usually get such notification in the system tray the second
Tuesday in the late afternoon.

By midnight , early Wed April 15, I still didn't see that notification
baloon in my System Tray. So I downloaded all the critical updates manually
via the Windows Update website.

Question:

Was this a delay in the Windows Update notification which would have kicked
in the next day or so?

OR

Is it likely there's a problem in my PC with this setting?

TIA:

-ira
===============

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
IE7
Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000

MowGreen

Re: Windows Update: Notify: Delayed or Not Working?
Ira,

Check the WindowsUpdate.log, located in WINDOWS, for clues.
Since all systems can not possibly update all at once from the update
servers, there is a 'priority regulation' of the updates.
Start at the bottom of the log for the most recent entries and work your
way back up. If you see an entry such as this

2009-04-15 10:36:19:291 984 5b8 DnldMgr Regulation:
{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77} - Update
445D8498-E2C5-43E2-B28D-FA927843BBA8 is "Priority" regulated and can NOT
download. Sequence 7325 vs AcceptRate 3766.

then that's what was occurring.
IF you are not seeing that type of entry, then please post recent
entries that show a WARNING *and* FATAL error code[s].

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

ira wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have Windows Update set to "Notify me, but Do Not Automatically Download
> or Install" . I usually get such notification in the system tray the second
> Tuesday in the late afternoon.
>
> By midnight , early Wed April 15, I still didn't see that notification
> baloon in my System Tray. So I downloaded all the critical updates manually
> via the Windows Update website.
>
> Question:
>
> Was this a delay in the Windows Update notification which would have kicked
> in the next day or so?
>
> OR
>
> Is it likely there's a problem in my PC with this setting?
>
> TIA:
>
> -ira
> ===============
>
> Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
> IE7
> Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000

Re: Windows Update: Notify: Delayed or Not Working?
[I was waiting for these posts to start.]

Absent any serious numerical Errors in your windowsupdate.log, you may be
seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the servers ("Update is not
allowed to download due to regulation"). It can take up to 7 days or more
(sometimes much more) for all Automatic Update users to get new updates when
so many have been released on the second Tuesday of a given month. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340

You can try downloading/installing the updates via Windows/Microsoft Update
(WinXP) or running Windows Update manually (Vista) instead: Understand that
by doing so, you're pushing all the Automatic Updates users further back in
the queue (which may explain, at least in part, why Automatic Updates hasn't
brought them in for you yet).

ira wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have Windows Update set to "Notify me, but Do Not Automatically
> Download
> or Install" . I usually get such notification in the system tray the
> second
> Tuesday in the late afternoon.
>
> By midnight , early Wed April 15, I still didn't see that notification
> baloon in my System Tray. So I downloaded all the critical updates
> manually
> via the Windows Update website.
>
> Question:
>
> Was this a delay in the Windows Update notification which would have
> kicked
> in the next day or so?
>
> OR
>
> Is it likely there's a problem in my PC with this setting?
>
> TIA:
>
> -ira
> ===============
>
> Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
> IE7
> Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000

ira

Re: Windows Update: Notify: Delayed or Not Working?
Hi again:

I don't find any specific notice regarding priority regulation or similar
terminlology in my windowsupdate.og:

I do find several errors and warnings listed in the windowsupate.log.

But I find those warnings and errors as well for March and Feb when WU
Notify seemed to work ok.

"2009-04-14 21:12:22:656 1052 13c AU FATAL: Failed to get session from
datastore, error = 0x80004002"

"
2009-04-14 10:47:54:156 2204 8f8 DtaStor WARNING: Attempted to add URL for
file [Cab file url]
UhT7nPodzdOTWlbPX0c3Y+sgrT4= when file has not been previously added to the
datastore"

I did download and install those April updates via Windows Update web early
on April 15. They downloaded and installed with no problems. My concern is
that the system of WU Notify might not be working properly, since that
balloon is usually in my system tray on Tuesday.. If it's common to have a
day delay in the notifications, I gather there's no problem. Am I correct in
this?

Thanks again:

-ira

----------------------------------

> [I was waiting for these posts to start.]
>
> Absent any serious numerical Errors in your windowsupdate.log, you may be
> seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the servers ("Update is not
> allowed to download due to regulation"). It can take up to 7 days or more
> (sometimes much more) for all Automatic Update users to get new updates
> when so many have been released on the second Tuesday of a given month.
> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340
>
> You can try downloading/installing the updates via Windows/Microsoft
> Update (WinXP) or running Windows Update manually (Vista) instead:
> Understand that by doing so, you're pushing all the Automatic Updates
> users further back in the queue (which may explain, at least in part, why
> Automatic Updates hasn't brought them in for you yet).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> ira wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have Windows Update set to "Notify me, but Do Not Automatically
>> Download
>> or Install" . I usually get such notification in the system tray the
>> second
>> Tuesday in the late afternoon.
>>
>> By midnight , early Wed April 15, I still didn't see that notification
>> baloon in my System Tray. So I downloaded all the critical updates
>> manually
>> via the Windows Update website.
>>
>> Question:
>>
>> Was this a delay in the Windows Update notification which would have
>> kicked
>> in the next day or so?
>>
>> OR
>>
>> Is it likely there's a problem in my PC with this setting?
>>
>> TIA:
>>
>> -ira
>> ===============
>>
>> Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
>> IE7
>> Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000

Re: Windows Update: Notify: Delayed or Not Working?
Since you've installed the updates manually (which trumps AU), I suppose
you'll have to wait until the next update/batch of updates comes down the
pike. When that happens, don't panic so quickly. As I said in my first
post, sometimes it can take 7-10 days before AU notifies you of available
updates, downloads the updates (all of them), and then prompts you to
install them.

Think about it: Millions of computers worldwide need these updates. There's
no way that all of them are going to be offered the updates during the first
12, 24, or even 48 hours after they're released.

If you have Windows Defender installed with AU set to Notify Only, AU should
offer you a Defender definitions update by 21 April, if not sooner.

PS: If & when you reboot, doing so will kickstart AU (WUAUCLT.EXE) which
will then attempt to sync with the update servers. Otherwise, you'll find a
line similar to the following towards the end/bottom of windowsupdate.log:

AU setting next detection timeout to 2009-04-17 16:29:15

Translation: If I don't reboot, AU will attempt to sync with the servers
again no later than 16:29 local time on Friday, 17 Apr-09.

ira wrote:
> [...]
>>> second
>>> Tuesday in the late afternoon.
>>>
>>> By midnight , early Wed April 15, I still didn't see that notification
>>> baloon in my System Tray. So I downloaded all the critical updates
>>> manually
>>> via the Windows Update website.
>>>
>>> Question:
>>>
>>> Was this a delay in the Windows Update notification which would have
>>> kicked
>>> in the next day or so?
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> Is it likely there's a problem in my PC with this setting?
>>>
>>> TIA:
>>>
>>> -ira
>>> ===============
>>>
>>> Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
>>> IE7
>>> Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000

ira

Re: Windows Update: Notify: Delayed or Not Working?
Thank you PA Bear for taking the time.

Yes. I do have the following in my windowsupdate.log:

"2009-04-16 22:12:53:140 1052 454 AU AU setting next detection timeout to
2009-04-17 20:36:21"

I also notice wuauclt.exe running in the taskmanager. I think that's usually
after a reboot.

Thanks again:

-ira

> [...]
>>> seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the servers ("Update is not
>>> allowed to download due to regulation"). It can take up to 7 days or
>>> more
>>> (sometimes much more) for all Automatic Update users to get new updates
>>> when so many have been released on the second Tuesday of a given month.
>>> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340
>>>
>>> You can try downloading/installing the updates via Windows/Microsoft
>>> Update (WinXP) or running Windows Update manually (Vista) instead:
>>> Understand that by doing so, you're pushing all the Automatic Updates
>>> users further back in the queue (which may explain, at least in part,
>>> why
>>> Automatic Updates hasn't brought them in for you yet).
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Windows Update: Notify: Delayed or Not Working?
YW

ira wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> "2009-04-14 21:12:22:656 1052 13c AU FATAL: Failed to get session from
>>> datastore, error = 0x80004002"
>>>
>>> "
>>> 2009-04-14 10:47:54:156 2204 8f8 DtaStor WARNING: Attempted to add URL
>>> for
>>> file [Cab file url]
>>> UhT7nPodzdOTWlbPX0c3Y+sgrT4= when file has not been previously added to
>>> the
>>> datastore"
>>>

>>> I did download and install those April updates via Windows Update web
>>> early
>>> on April 15. They downloaded and installed with no problems. My concern
>>> is
>>> that the system of WU Notify might not be working properly, since that
>>> balloon is usually in my system tray on Tuesday.. If it's common to have
>>> day delay in the notifications, I gather there's no problem. Am I
>>> in

For error 0x80004002, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956708

> You may experience this problem if one or more of the following conditions are true:
>
> * You repair your Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) installation by using the Windows XP SP2 CD.
> Then, you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) before you update the Windows Update software to
> the current version.
> * You perform a clean install of Windows XP SP2. Then, you install Windows XP SP3 before you
> update the Windows Update software to the current version.
> * The current version of Windows Update is not installed and registered correctly.

Are any of the above conditions pertinent, Ira ?
You can determine the Version of the Windows Update Agent installed by
checking the Versions of these files, located in WINDOWS\system32

cdm.dll
wuauclt.exe
wuaueng.dll
wuauserv.dll
wups1.dll
wups.dll
wuapi.dll
wucltui.dll
wuweb.dll

All of the files should be the same Version. At this time, the latest
Version is 7.4.7000.81.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten