Security Update KB956572 install fails continually

DavidS

Security Update KB956572 install fails continually
We're updating our XP SP3 desktops using WSUS 3.0. Today during the first
round of patch testing we found that the patch for KB956572 wouldn't install.
In checking the install log for the patch, it seems to be failing because
NTDLL.DLL is in use. Running the update manually produces the same result.

Any ideas where to look in order to fix this? TiA
Ǝиçεl

RE: Security Update KB956572 install fails continually

Hello David,

see the "How to obtain help..." section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572
--

Good luck
-=-

"DavidS" wrote:

> We're updating our XP SP3 desktops using WSUS 3.0. Today during the first
> round of patch testing we found that the patch for KB956572 wouldn't install.
> In checking the install log for the patch, it seems to be failing because
> NTDLL.DLL is in use. Running the update manually produces the same result.
>
> Any ideas where to look in order to fix this? TiA

DavidS

RE: Security Update KB956572 install fails continually
So far, Microsoft's solution was to apply the patch manually in safe mode,
which kind of defeats the purpose of WSUS.

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hello David,
>

> see the "How to obtain help..." section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572
> --
>

> Good luck
> -=-
>

> "DavidS" wrote:
>
> > We're updating our XP SP3 desktops using WSUS 3.0. Today during the first
> > round of patch testing we found that the patch for KB956572 wouldn't install.
> > In checking the install log for the patch, it seems to be failing because
> > NTDLL.DLL is in use. Running the update manually produces the same result.
> >
> > Any ideas where to look in order to fix this? TiA

Ǝиçεl

RE: Security Update KB956572 install fails continually
Hi David,

Perhaps try the WSUS Newsgroup

On the web:
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.up date_services>

In your newsreader:
-=-

"DavidS" wrote:

> So far, Microsoft's solution was to apply the patch manually in safe mode,
> which kind of defeats the purpose of WSUS.
>

> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>

> > Hello David,
> >

> > see the "How to obtain help..." section of
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572
> > --
> >

> > Good luck
> > -=-
> >

> > "DavidS" wrote:
> >
> > > We're updating our XP SP3 desktops using WSUS 3.0. Today during the first
> > > round of patch testing we found that the patch for KB956572 wouldn't install.
> > > In checking the install log for the patch, it seems to be failing because
> > > NTDLL.DLL is in use. Running the update manually produces the same result.
> > >
> > > Any ideas where to look in order to fix this? TiA

Re: Security Update KB956572 install fails continually
Who knew you were updating via WSUS from your first post?

DavidS wrote:
> So far, Microsoft's solution was to apply the patch manually in safe mode,
> which kind of defeats the purpose of WSUS.
>

> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>

>> Hello David,
>>

>> see the "How to obtain help..." section of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572
>> --
>>

>> Good luck
>> -=-
>>

>> "DavidS" wrote:
>>
>>> We're updating our XP SP3 desktops using WSUS 3.0. Today during the
>>> first
>>> round of patch testing we found that the patch for KB956572 wouldn't
>>> install. In checking the install log for the patch, it seems to be
>>> failing because NTDLL.DLL is in use. Running the update manually
>>> produces the same result.
>>>
>>> Any ideas where to look in order to fix this? TiA

DavidS

RE: Security Update KB956572 install fails continually
Thanks for the link. Didn't see that newsgroup before posting.

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Perhaps try the WSUS Newsgroup
>
> On the web:
> <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.up date_services>
>
> In your newsreader:
> -=-
>

> "DavidS" wrote:
>
> > So far, Microsoft's solution was to apply the patch manually in safe mode,
> > which kind of defeats the purpose of WSUS.
> >

> > "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
> >

> > > Hello David,
> > >

> > > see the "How to obtain help..." section of
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572
> > > --
> > >

> > > Good luck
> > > -=-

DavidS

Re: Security Update KB956572 install fails continually
I would have thought the part where I mentioned "updating our XP SP3 desktops
using WSUS 3.0." would have indicated that we were using WSUS.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though. ;-)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Who knew you were updating via WSUS from your first post?
>
> DavidS wrote:
> > So far, Microsoft's solution was to apply the patch manually in safe mode,
> > which kind of defeats the purpose of WSUS.
> >

> > "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
> >

> >> Hello David,
> >>

> >> see the "How to obtain help..." section of
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572
> >> --
> >>

> >> Good luck
> >> -=-

Re: Security Update KB956572 install fails continually
<mybad>

DavidS wrote:
> I would have thought the part where I mentioned "updating our XP SP3
> desktops using WSUS 3.0." would have indicated that we were using WSUS.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply though. ;-)
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Who knew you were updating via WSUS from your first post?
>>
>> DavidS wrote:
>>> So far, Microsoft's solution was to apply the patch manually in safe
>>> mode,
>>> which kind of defeats the purpose of WSUS.

Fred Morpeth

RE: Security Update KB956572 install fails continually
I am also unable to instal this update but there is no mention of NTDLL.
Instead there is the error message:' KB956572 Setup encountered an error:
The update.ver file is not correct.'
Can anyone help with this
--
fred Morpeth

"DavidS" wrote:

> We're updating our XP SP3 desktops using WSUS 3.0. Today during the first
> round of patch testing we found that the patch for KB956572 wouldn't install.
> In checking the install log for the patch, it seems to be failing because
> NTDLL.DLL is in use. Running the update manually produces the same result.
>
> Any ideas where to look in order to fix this? TiA

Robert Aldwinckle

"Fred Morpeth" <FredMorpeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24D666CA-AC43-43AF-B142-2FB1B989E7FE@microsoft.com...
>I am also unable to instal this update but there is no mention of NTDLL.
> Instead there is the error message:' KB956572 Setup encountered an error:
> The update.ver file is not correct.'

That's a normal message. Keep looking. ; )