Re: Windows update error 0x80242008

Ted-T

Re: Windows update error 0x80242008

My Program Files continues to live on C:.

But, I have put almost all other programs (where the install program
allows me to change the destination folder) onto a different hard drive
and folder, e.g.: H:/Pgms.

I have never installed IE7.

But a visit to this forum provided a clue and allowed me to solve the
problem.

To wit several months ago I updated Google Earth, which does not allow
one to specify an alternate directory at time of install, so I modified
the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion, value
for "ProgramFilesDir" to point to "H:/Pgms".

After the successful Google Earth install, I incorrectly reset
"ProgramFilesDir" to "Programs" and not "Program Files".

So now when Windows Update searched for IE6 via ProgramFilesDir, IE6
was not found in the identified directory.

Thanks much for all your sleuthing and postings.

Yes, the IE6 update worked and was applied successfully.

This is my note to MS along with an abridged version of MSí note to me
to download and install IE7. Yes, I redacted a few words

= = = = = =

Subject: Re: Microsoft Case ID:
SRX◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

Kelly,

I found the solution myself and it did not involve downloading and
installing IE7.

Via the Internet and some searching I found some forums that provided a
clue and now all works. Yes, I have successfully applied Windows XP
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP
(KB963027)

Bluntly, maybe Microsoft should search the Internet for the error code
and solution.

Ted

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Re: Windows update error 0x80242008
Why are you posting this as a reply to a thread (not yours) from 21 December
2005?? =>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...97bfd25e93f466

0x80242008 SUS_E_UH_OPERATIONCANCELLED
'The update may require user input so can not be installed in this context'
and/or 'The install was canceled via a handler method' (as opposed to, for
example, an installer running with UI that was cancelled externally to
WSUS).

> After the successful Google Earth install, I incorrectly reset
> "ProgramFilesDir" to "Programs" and not "Program Files".

> Bluntly, maybe Microsoft should search the Internet for the error code
> and solution.

There are scores of possible causes for that error. How should MS
anticipate that a user would pull a dumb-a** move like associating
"ProgramFilesDir" with "Programs" and not "Program Files"? I'm surprised MS
didn't charge you for this support.

Patient (demonstrating): "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Don't do that."

Don't do that!