Update Suddenly No Longer Works

BBG

Update Suddenly No Longer Works
Win XP X64, IE8 released. Suddenly Windows Update does not work, providing
"Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
page." I did the regedits suggested in the MS help list, and reloaded
iuctl.cab file with no change. I also ensured the update permissions are OK
in the registry from another MS help suggestion. The PC was up to date with
all previous patches, no crashes, just a Microsoft moment in time ;-)

It is almost like activeX is not working, but an office update ran without
problems...

Thanks for suggestions, anyone
BBG

RE: Update Suddenly No Longer Works
Addenda - I tried reinstalling IE8 64 bit and the package errors that "IE8 is
not supported on this operating system". Silverlight also has gone missing
and the install fails.

Re: Update Suddenly No Longer Works
First things first: Is Automatic Updates enabled?

If you access Windows Update website in Compatibility Mode, does the
behavior persist?

Did you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice before attempting to reinstall it?

If you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice, can you reach & use Windows Update
website?

BBG wrote:
> Addenda - I tried reinstalling IE8 64 bit and the package errors that "IE8
> is not supported on this operating system". Silverlight also has gone
> missing and the install fails.

<paste>
> Win XP X64, IE8 released. Suddenly Windows Update does not work,
> providing
> "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
> page." I did the regedits suggested in the MS help list, and reloaded
> iuctl.cab file with no change. I also ensured the update permissions are
> OK
> in the registry from another MS help suggestion. The PC was up to date
> with all previous patches, no crashes, just a Microsoft moment in time ;-)

BBG

Re: Update Suddenly No Longer Works
Auto updates are enabled.

As one might expect, Microsoft IE8 does not offer a compatibility option for
MS web sites unless you force it, but there is something else broken.
Displaying the site is no worries, and it starts. MS describes the error as
"possibly" because of uninstalling SP1 and suggests a registry fix - that
made no difference. X64 SP2 shows as installed.

Restore will not go back more than 1-day even though there are almost daily
restore points (cannot restore to this time, try another) but I did restore 1
day back and IE8 installer will now run. The installer did seem to perform
the system update step. It got an error removing IE8. I then ran the
microsoft fixit for security issues. Now IE8 installer will run the update
stages but error during the install with a 'cannot verify integrity of the
update.inf" and the crypto service is indeed running.

Except for updating and this strange install behaviour, the PC is working
OK, or so it seems. Nothing amiss shows in the event logs!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> First things first: Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>
> If you access Windows Update website in Compatibility Mode, does the
> behavior persist?
>
> Did you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice before attempting to reinstall it?
>
> If you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice, can you reach & use Windows Update
> website?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> BBG wrote:
> > Addenda - I tried reinstalling IE8 64 bit and the package errors that "IE8
> > is not supported on this operating system". Silverlight also has gone
> > missing and the install fails.

> <paste>
> > Win XP X64, IE8 released. Suddenly Windows Update does not work,
> > providing
> > "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
> > page." I did the regedits suggested in the MS help list, and reloaded
> > iuctl.cab file with no change. I also ensured the update permissions are
> > OK
> > in the registry from another MS help suggestion. The PC was up to date
> > with all previous patches, no crashes, just a Microsoft moment in time ;-)

Re: Update Suddenly No Longer Works
Repost:

BBG wrote:
> Auto updates are enabled.
>
> As one might expect, Microsoft IE8 does not offer a compatibility option
> for
> MS web sites unless you force it, but there is something else broken.
> Displaying the site is no worries, and it starts. MS describes the error
> as
> "possibly" because of uninstalling SP1 and suggests a registry fix - that
> made no difference. X64 SP2 shows as installed.
>
> Restore will not go back more than 1-day even though there are almost
> daily
> restore points (cannot restore to this time, try another) but I did
> restore
> 1 day back and IE8 installer will now run. The installer did seem to
> perform the system update step. It got an error removing IE8. I then ran
> the microsoft fixit for security issues. Now IE8 installer will run the
> update stages but error during the install with a 'cannot verify integrity
> of the update.inf" and the crypto service is indeed running.
>
> Except for updating and this strange install behaviour, the PC is working
> OK, or so it seems. Nothing amiss shows in the event logs!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> First things first: Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>>
>> If you access Windows Update website in Compatibility Mode, does the
>> behavior persist?
>>
>> Did you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice before attempting to reinstall it?
>>
>> If you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice, can you reach & use Windows Update
>> website?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> BBG wrote:
>>> Addenda - I tried reinstalling IE8 64 bit and the package errors that
>>> "IE8
>>> is not supported on this operating system". Silverlight also has gone
>>> missing and the install fails.

>> <paste>
>>> Win XP X64, IE8 released. Suddenly Windows Update does not work,
>>> providing
>>> "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
>>> requested
>>> page." I did the regedits suggested in the MS help list, and reloaded
>>> iuctl.cab file with no change. I also ensured the update permissions
>>> are
>>> OK
>>> in the registry from another MS help suggestion. The PC was up to date
>>> with all previous patches, no crashes, just a Microsoft moment in time
>>> ;-)

BBG

Re: Update Suddenly No Longer Works
Yes I did. This one is not s imple. There are more sinister problems in the
system. It claims it cannot validate the IE8 install files and to assure
the cryptographic service is running (it is enabled but I don't know how to
tell if it is actually running - no related errors in the event logs).

The original problem was (the sudden) inability to use windows update - and
that problem exists even with IE7 (I got IE8 off, but it still will not
reinstall and it does not get past validating the install package). I have a
microsoft reply to a help request, so will work with them. Happy to get any
more ideas though. And thanks for your interest.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repost:
> > Did you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice before attempting to reinstall it?
> >
> > If you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice, can you reach & use Windows Update
> > website?

> BBG wrote:
> > Auto updates are enabled.
> >
> > As one might expect, Microsoft IE8 does not offer a compatibility option
> > for
> > MS web sites unless you force it, but there is something else broken.
> > Displaying the site is no worries, and it starts. MS describes the error
> > as
> > "possibly" because of uninstalling SP1 and suggests a registry fix - that
> > made no difference. X64 SP2 shows as installed.
> >
> > Restore will not go back more than 1-day even though there are almost
> > daily
> > restore points (cannot restore to this time, try another) but I did
> > restore
> > 1 day back and IE8 installer will now run. The installer did seem to
> > perform the system update step. It got an error removing IE8. I then ran
> > the microsoft fixit for security issues. Now IE8 installer will run the
> > update stages but error during the install with a 'cannot verify integrity
> > of the update.inf" and the crypto service is indeed running.
> >
> > Except for updating and this strange install behaviour, the PC is working
> > OK, or so it seems. Nothing amiss shows in the event logs!
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> First things first: Is Automatic Updates enabled?
> >>
> >> If you access Windows Update website in Compatibility Mode, does the
> >> behavior persist?
> >>
> >> Did you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice before attempting to reinstall it?
> >>
> >> If you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice, can you reach & use Windows Update
> >> website?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> <paste>

Re: Update Suddenly No Longer Works
I suspect you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection, BBG. Keep us
posted, please, on your progress with MS Support.

BBG wrote:
> Yes I did. This one is not s imple. There are more sinister problems in
> the system. It claims it cannot validate the IE8 install files and to
> assure the cryptographic service is running (it is enabled but I don't
> know
> how to tell if it is actually running - no related errors in the event
> logs).
>
> The original problem was (the sudden) inability to use windows update -
> and
> that problem exists even with IE7 (I got IE8 off, but it still will not
> reinstall and it does not get past validating the install package). I
> have
> a microsoft reply to a help request, so will work with them. Happy to get
> any more ideas though. And thanks for your interest.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Repost:
>>> Did you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice before attempting to reinstall
>>> it?
>>>
>>> If you uninstall IE8 and reboot twice, can you reach & use Windows
>>> Update
>>> website?

>> BBG wrote:
>>> Auto updates are enabled.
>>>
>>> As one might expect, Microsoft IE8 does not offer a compatibility option
>>> for
>>> MS web sites unless you force it, but there is something else broken.
>>> Displaying the site is no worries, and it starts. MS describes the
>>> error
>>> as
>>> "possibly" because of uninstalling SP1 and suggests a registry fix -
>>> that
>>> made no difference. X64 SP2 shows as installed.
>>>
>>> Restore will not go back more than 1-day even though there are almost
>>> daily
>>> restore points (cannot restore to this time, try another) but I did
>>> restore
>>> 1 day back and IE8 installer will now run. The installer did seem to
>>> perform the system update step. It got an error removing IE8. I then
>>> ran
>>> the microsoft fixit for security issues. Now IE8 installer will run the
>>> update stages but error during the install with a 'cannot verify
>>> integrity
>>> of the update.inf" and the crypto service is indeed running.
>>>
>>> Except for updating and this strange install behaviour, the PC is
>>> working
>>> OK, or so it seems. Nothing amiss shows in the event logs!

BBG

Re: Update Suddenly No Longer Works
One of two issues corrected, courtesy of diligent internet searching.

IE8 reinstalled after
stopping cryptographic service
renaming folder windows\system32\catroot2 to junk (or deleting it)
starting cryptographic service
running the IE8 installer

I also had to manually create a .\catroot2\edb.log for the IE8 installer to
move along. It was going Very Slowly and I found errors in the event log to
give me the clue. Once I made the file, off the installation went at speed
(a curious problem in the installer?).

automatic updates now install, but IE8->Tools->Windows Update is still
giving "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
requested page." and I have tried the three Microsoft KB 'fix' suggestions.
Progress is always good :-)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I suspect you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection, BBG. Keep us
> posted, please, on your progress with MS Support.
>
> BBG wrote:
> > Yes I did. This one is not s imple. There are more sinister problems in
> > the system. It claims it cannot validate the IE8 install files and to
> > assure the cryptographic service is running (it is enabled but I don't
> > know
> > how to tell if it is actually running - no related errors in the event
> > logs).
> >
> > The original problem was (the sudden) inability to use windows update -
> > and
> > that problem exists even with IE7 (I got IE8 off, but it still will not
> > reinstall and it does not get past validating the install package). I
> > have
> > a microsoft reply to a help request, so will work with them. Happy to get
> > any more ideas though. And thanks for your interest.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Repost:

Re: Update Suddenly No Longer Works
Windows is what's infected, not IE, so managing to get IE8 installed
(properly?) is not going to help.

BBG wrote:
> One of two issues corrected, courtesy of diligent internet searching.
>
> IE8 reinstalled after
> stopping cryptographic service
> renaming folder windows\system32\catroot2 to junk (or deleting it)
> starting cryptographic service
> running the IE8 installer
>
> I also had to manually create a .\catroot2\edb.log for the IE8 installer
> move along. It was going Very Slowly and I found errors in the event log
> give me the clue. Once I made the file, off the installation went at
> speed
> (a curious problem in the installer?).
>
> automatic updates now install, but IE8->Tools->Windows Update is still
> giving "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
> requested page." and I have tried the three Microsoft KB 'fix'
> suggestions.
> Progress is always good :-)
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I suspect you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection, BBG. Keep
>> us posted, please, on your progress with MS Support.
>>
>> BBG wrote:
>>> Yes I did. This one is not s imple. There are more sinister problems
>>> in
>>> the system. It claims it cannot validate the IE8 install files and to
>>> assure the cryptographic service is running (it is enabled but I don't
>>> know
>>> how to tell if it is actually running - no related errors in the event
>>> logs).
>>>
>>> The original problem was (the sudden) inability to use windows update -
>>> and
>>> that problem exists even with IE7 (I got IE8 off, but it still will not
>>> reinstall and it does not get past validating the install package). I
>>> have
>>> a microsoft reply to a help request, so will work with them. Happy to
>>> get
>>> any more ideas though. And thanks for your interest.

BBG

Re: Update Suddenly No Longer Works
No offence, but this fix was core windows, not IE8, and I know the IE8
install was not itself the problem, only a symptom. I know you know that,
and I posted because it could be helpful to other forum readers rather than
yourself.

A scan of the web suggests catroot2 files getting corrupted is not unknown,
and it causes problems for the cryptographic service used for patch and other
installations. One might wonder why a package getting a failure accessing
anything in that folder does not simply delete the folder and start anew, but
that is for Microsoft to know.

For the IE update problem, I found a clue for X32 to fix up the related
files and services, but some files are in different places on X64 and seem to
need slightly different TLC - still working on that.

Over time this PC has picked up a number of minor bugs that are not
corrected by any of the related, documented KB fixes. I have been hoping
they would not cascade into serious problems until the opportunity to move to
Windows 7, noting correcting things when needed is providing education I
never hoped to need. Since all 'upgrades' from X64 are clean installs,
well...you pick your poison. :-)