Security Update KB956572

Mike Forshaw

Security Update KB956572
I'm running Xp pro SP3. I successfully installed security update KB 956572.
However, automatic updates and Windows Update, continues to prompt me to
install the update. I have successfully installed 3 times, uninstalled it
once, and installed 2 more times. I am still receiving the update. I have
followed all the Windows Update troubleshooting steps without success. Any
suggestions?
DanLot

Re: Security Update KB956572

Mike Forshaw;4363682 Wrote:
> I'm running Xp pro SP3. I successfully installed security update KB
> 956572.
> However, automatic updates and Windows Update, continues to prompt me
> install the update. I have successfully installed 3 times, uninstalled
> it
> once, and installed 2 more times. I am still receiving the update. I
> have
> followed all the Windows Update troubleshooting steps without success.
> Any
> suggestions?

...me the same! No idea...?

--
DanLot
DanLot's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90607.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Security Update KB956572
Can you download/install the update manually?

Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-DF5BE564D923

[[ Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB952004):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-FF5D4A8E4944 ]
]

If no joy, see the "How to obtain help..." section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572

Mike Forshaw wrote:
> I'm running Xp pro SP3. I successfully installed security update KB
> 956572.
> However, automatic updates and Windows Update, continues to prompt me to
> install the update. I have successfully installed 3 times, uninstalled it
> once, and installed 2 more times. I am still receiving the update. I have
> followed all the Windows Update troubleshooting steps without success.
> Any
> suggestions?

DanLot

Re: Security Update KB956572

Thanks for your reply, Bear!

I did this "Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004)"; no success! The
"Security Update KB956572" continuously wants to be installed!

--
DanLot
DanLot's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90607.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1162466.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Security Update KB956572
I was not replying to your post. If you need assistance, please begin your
own new thread about /your/ problems and Windows version.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Can you download/install the update manually?
>
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-DF5BE564D923
>
> [[ Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB952004):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-FF5D4A8E4944 ]
> ]
>

> If no joy, see the "How to obtain help..." section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Mike Forshaw wrote:
> > I'm running Xp pro SP3. I successfully installed security update KB
> > 956572.
> > However, automatic updates and Windows Update, continues to prompt me to
> > install the update. I have successfully installed 3 times, uninstalled it
> > once, and installed 2 more times. I am still receiving the update. I have
> > followed all the Windows Update troubleshooting steps without success.
> > Any
> > suggestions?

Yes. I downloaded the Update and ran it manually, in both Safe and Normal
Windows modes.

Thank you for the KB link; I will call Microsoft as directed.
Mike Forshaw

"Mike Forshaw" wrote:

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Can you download/install the update manually?
> >
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004):
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-DF5BE564D923
> >
> > [[ Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB952004):
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-FF5D4A8E4944 ]
> > ]
> >

> > If no joy, see the "How to obtain help..." section of
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> >
> > Mike Forshaw wrote:
> > > I'm running Xp pro SP3. I successfully installed security update KB
> > > 956572.
> > > However, automatic updates and Windows Update, continues to prompt me to
> > > install the update. I have successfully installed 3 times, uninstalled it
> > > once, and installed 2 more times. I am still receiving the update. I have
> > > followed all the Windows Update troubleshooting steps without success.
> > > Any
> > > suggestions?

> Yes. I downloaded the Update and ran it manually, in both Safe and Normal
> Windows modes.
>
> Thank you for the KB link; I will call Microsoft as directed.

I called Microsoft - they took over my PC, made about 20 changes, and now
everything is fine. I am no longer offered the update.

Thank you PA Bear

Mike Forshaw wrote:

>>> Can you download/install the update manually?
>>>
>>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004):
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-DF5BE564D923
>>>
>>> [[ Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB952004):
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-FF5D4A8E4944
>>> ] ]
>>>

>>> If no joy, see the "How to obtain help..." section of
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956572
>>>

>> Yes. I downloaded the Update and ran it manually, in both Safe and Normal
>> Windows modes.
>>
>> Thank you for the KB link; I will call Microsoft as directed.

> I called Microsoft - they took over my PC, made about 20 changes, and now
> everything is fine. I am no longer offered the update.
>
> Thank you PA Bear

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback. But if you were able to install
the updates manually, why did you call Microsoft? Any idea what changes
they made via remote access?

Mike Forshaw

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> Yes. I downloaded the Update and ran it manually, in both Safe and Normal
> >> Windows modes.
> >>
> >> Thank you for the KB link; I will call Microsoft as directed.

> > I called Microsoft - they took over my PC, made about 20 changes, and now
> > everything is fine. I am no longer offered the update.
> >
> > Thank you PA Bear

> You're welcome & thanks for your feedback. But if you were able to install
> the updates manually, why did you call Microsoft? Any idea what changes
> they made via remote access?

All the updates I ran were successful whteher automatic or manual. The
problem I had. was that following a successful update. Windows Update would
continue to offer me the same critical update.

Microsoft made some changes to file names in the System32 folder, then had
me reboot. Then they uninstalled the update and had me reboot. Then they
made some more changes in the Sytem32 folder, downloaded and ran the update
manually, and had me reboot. At this point, Windows Update was able to
detect that the update was done and it stopped offering me the update. I
guess Microsoft made 6 - 8 changes overall (not 20 as I previously stated)
but I couldn't keep track of what they were doing. I know they did not
directly edit the registry. It seemed to be a known problem and their
support script was very precise.

Mike Forshaw wrote:

>>> I called Microsoft - they took over my PC, made about 20 changes, and
>>> now
>>> everything is fine. I am no longer offered the update.
>>>
>>> Thank you PA Bear

>> You're welcome & thanks for your feedback. But if you were able to
>> install
>> the updates manually, why did you call Microsoft? Any idea what changes
>> they made via remote access?
>>

> All the updates I ran were successful whteher automatic or manual. The
> problem I had. was that following a successful update. Windows Update
> would
> continue to offer me the same critical update.

<snip>

Which update, if I may ask?