Windows Update Today Corrupted Registry, could not start system

klg

Windows Update Today Corrupted Registry, could not start system
I had to turn off my pc even though it appeared to be on (hard drive humming,
lights on). When I rebooted the system failed to load and the system
diagnostic found a corrupt registry. It asked me to do a system restore but
I did not. I was able to turn off the pc and the system loaded.

What is the bug on the multiple updates sent out today?

Re: Windows Update Today Corrupted Registry, could not start system
posting to this newsgroup.

How have you determined that the "multiple updates" had anything to do with
the problem? What updates did you install and how did you install them?

klg wrote:
> I had to turn off my pc even though it appeared to be on (hard drive
> humming, lights on). When I rebooted the system failed to load and the
> system diagnostic found a corrupt registry. It asked me to do a system
> restore but I did not. I was able to turn off the pc and the system
> loaded.
>
> What is the bug on the multiple updates sent out today?

klg

Re: Windows Update Today Corrupted Registry, could not start syste
Version is Vista SP1.

I have auto install. My pc was on a connected to the internet. the
installation occurred and then the scenario I described below occurred.
Windows automatically reboots to finish the installation - but it would not
reboot!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> How have you determined that the "multiple updates" had anything to do with
> the problem? What updates did you install and how did you install them?
>
> klg wrote:
> > I had to turn off my pc even though it appeared to be on (hard drive
> > humming, lights on). When I rebooted the system failed to load and the
> > system diagnostic found a corrupt registry. It asked me to do a system
> > restore but I did not. I was able to turn off the pc and the system
> > loaded.
> >
> > What is the bug on the multiple updates sent out today?

Re: Windows Update Today Corrupted Registry, could not start syste
Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed updates: What
updates were installed?

If you run Windows Update manually, are any updates offered?

klg wrote:
> Version is Vista SP1.
>
> I have auto install. My pc was on a connected to the internet. the
> installation occurred and then the scenario I described below occurred.
> Windows automatically reboots to finish the installation - but it would
> not
> reboot!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> How have you determined that the "multiple updates" had anything to do
>> with
>> the problem? What updates did you install and how did you install them?
>>
>> klg wrote:
>>> I had to turn off my pc even though it appeared to be on (hard drive
>>> humming, lights on). When I rebooted the system failed to load and the
>>> system diagnostic found a corrupt registry. It asked me to do a system
>>> restore but I did not. I was able to turn off the pc and the system
>>> loaded.
>>>
>>> What is the bug on the multiple updates sent out today?

nacron is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Update Today Corrupted Registry, could not start syste
I had
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Bear [MS MVP] View Post

klg wrote:
> Version is Vista SP1.
>
> I have auto install. My pc was on a connected to the internet. the
> installation occurred and then the scenario I described below occurred.
> Windows automatically reboots to finish the installation - but it would
> not
> reboot!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> How have you determined that the "multiple updates" had anything to do
>> with
>> the problem? What updates did you install and how did you install them?
>>
>> klg wrote
>>> I had to turn off my pc even though it appeared to be on (hard drive
>>> humming, lights on). When I rebooted the system failed to load and the
>>> system diagnostic found a corrupt registry. It asked me to do a system
>>> restore but I did not. I was able to turn off the pc and the system
>>> loaded.
>>>
>>> What is the bug on the multiple updates sent out today?
I had the same problem today. I went to sleep on the 15th and woke up with windows telling me that it updated and had to restart. I shut down the computer becuase I had somewhere to go. Insted of shutting down, it rebooted itself and told me that the kernel was corrupted. I just shut down my computer with the power button because I had to go. Came back home and tried to fix it with the vista recovery from the dvd and it replaced the kernel file but then told me that the system registry file was corrupted. I attempted to copy the backup in the config folder but it didn't work. Used the vista disk to restore from the backup point and chose the point where the windows update installed. Restarted and it still had a corrupt registry. Tried again with the only other point that was available which was the day prior at 9pm and i'm back up and running again. I'm going to stop the windows update from finishing and backup my hard drive. these are the updates listed right now:

KB963027
KB952004
KB956572
KB959426
KB960803
KB890830
KB905866
KB960003
KB959997

I think one of the updates corrupted my files. My hard drive is pretty new, just got it less than 2 months ago.

I have Windows Vista SP1 running on my Dell Inspiron 6000.
nacron@gmail.com

On Apr 15, 1:08*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed updates: What
> updates were installed?
>
> If you run Windows Update manually, are any updates offered?
>
> klg wrote:
> > Version is Vista SP1.

> > I have auto install. *My pc was on a connected to the internet. *the
> > installation occurred and then the scenario I described below occurred.
> > Windows automatically reboots to finish the installation - but it would
> > not
> > reboot!

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.

> >> How have you determined that the "multiple updates" had anything to do
> >> with
> >> the problem? *What updates did you install and how did you install them?

I had the same problem today. I went to sleep on the 15th and woke up
with windows telling me that it updated and had to restart. I shut
down the computer becuase I had somewhere to go. Insted of shutting
down, it rebooted itself and told me that the kernel was corrupted. I
just shut down my computer with the power button because I had to go.
Came back home and tried to fix it with the vista recovery from the
dvd and it replaced the kernel file but then told me that the system
registry file was corrupted. I attempted to copy the backup in the
config folder but it didn't work. Used the vista disk to restore from
the backup point and chose the point where the windows update
installed. Restarted and it still had a corrupt registry. Tried again
with the only other point that was available which was the day prior
at 9pm and i'm back up and running again. I'm going to stop the
windows update from finishing and backup my hard drive. these are the
updates listed right now:

KB963027
KB952004
KB956572
KB959426
KB960803
KB890830
KB905866
KB960003
KB959997

I think one of the updates corrupted my files. My hard drive is pretty
new, just got it less than 2 months ago.

I have Windows Vista SP1 running on my Dell Inspiron 6000.

Re: Windows Update Today Corrupted Registry, could not start syste
Please begin a new thread about /your/ problem.

nacron@gmail.com wrote:
<snip>
> I had the same problem today. I went to sleep on the 15th and woke up
> with windows telling me that it updated and had to restart. I shut
> down the computer becuase I had somewhere to go. Insted of shutting
> down, it rebooted itself and told me that the kernel was corrupted. I
> just shut down my computer with the power button because I had to go.
> Came back home and tried to fix it with the vista recovery from the
> dvd and it replaced the kernel file but then told me that the system
> registry file was corrupted. I attempted to copy the backup in the
> config folder but it didn't work. Used the vista disk to restore from
> the backup point and chose the point where the windows update
> installed. Restarted and it still had a corrupt registry. Tried again
> with the only other point that was available which was the day prior
> at 9pm and i'm back up and running again. I'm going to stop the
> windows update from finishing and backup my hard drive. these are the
> updates listed right now:
>
> KB963027
> KB952004
> KB956572
> KB959426
> KB960803
> KB890830
> KB905866
> KB960003
> KB959997
>
> I think one of the updates corrupted my files. My hard drive is pretty
> new, just got it less than 2 months ago.
>
> I have Windows Vista SP1 running on my Dell Inspiron 6000.

JT

Re: Windows Update Today Corrupted Registry, could not start syste
I have the same issue with Windows XP home. Sp3
I have check for updates but I select when and which to apply, however
having been in a major rush last friday I closed all openprograms and run all
updates. At the end I got a blue screen which would not let the system close
advising there was a Kernel_data_inpage_error in relation to *** STOP
0x0000007a (0xc07c4d60, xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx ) I had to resolve shutting off
the power
After trying reboot it would not start just showed XP logo and kept the bar
reflecting trying to install but nothing happens. I shut down power again but
this time it gave me Windows failed to close and offered alloptions to
reboot. I after a few time eventually worked out to finally restore to
previous point which worked.
The Update logo still shows and unfortunately as I had not deleted the
attemped update files the system last night decided to re-install so I woke
to the system back in blue screen failing to close.
I started in safe mode and restored to previous point which works fine
(Sunday 19)
The Updates trying to install-
KB961373
KB960803
KB956572
KB952004
KB922561
KB959995
KB960003
KB890830 ( I note 5 of these are the same updates in the thread)

So whats the solution? I am about to delete the download installation files
(first time)
I assume best thing is to install one at a time to see which of these are
the culprit for causing the box not to start.

Cheers
Jim

"nacron" wrote:

> I had 'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
> > ;1225976']Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed
> > updates: What
> > updates were installed?
> >
> > If you run Windows Update manually, are any updates offered?
> >

> > klg wrote:
> > > Version is Vista SP1.
> > >
> > > I have auto install. My pc was on a connected to the internet. the
> > > installation occurred and then the scenario I described below

> > occurred.
> > > Windows automatically reboots to finish the installation - but it

> > would
> > > not
> > > reboot!

> > when

> > do

> > them?

> > drive

> > the

> > system

> > system

> I had the same problem today. I went to sleep on the 15th and woke up
> with windows telling me that it updated and had to restart. I shut down
> the computer becuase I had somewhere to go. Insted of shutting down, it
> rebooted itself and told me that the kernel was corrupted. I just shut
> down my computer with the power button because I had to go. Came back
> home and tried to fix it with the vista recovery from the dvd and it
> replaced the kernel file but then told me that the system registry file
> was corrupted. I attempted to copy the backup in the config folder but
> it didn't work. Used the vista disk to restore from the backup point
> and chose the point where the windows update installed. Restarted and
> it still had a corrupt registry. Tried again with the only other point
> that was available which was the day prior at 9pm and i'm back up and
> running again. I'm going to stop the windows update from finishing and
> backup my hard drive. these are the updates listed right now:
>
> KB963027
> KB952004
> KB956572
> KB959426
> KB960803
> KB890830
> KB905866
> KB960003
> KB959997
>
> I think one of the updates corrupted my files. My hard drive is pretty
> new, just got it less than 2 months ago.
>
> I have Windows Vista SP1 running on my Dell Inspiron 6000.
>

> --
> nacron

Re: Windows Update Today Corrupted Registry, could not start syste
If you need assistance, please begin a new thread. Thanks.

kungfreddie@gmail.com

On 20 Apr, 22:03, JT <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > and chose the point where the windows update installed. *Restarted and
> > it still had a corrupt registry. *Tried again with the only other point
> > that was available which was the day prior at 9pm and i'm back up and
> > running again. *I'm going to stop the windows update from finishing and
> > backup my hard drive. *these are the updates listed right now:

> > KB963027
> > KB952004
> > KB956572
> > KB959426
> > KB960803
> > KB890830
> > KB905866
> > KB960003
> > KB959997

> > I think one of the updates corrupted my files. *My hard drive is pretty
> > new, just got it less than 2 months ago.

> > I have Windows Vista SP1 running on my Dell Inspiron 6000.

Same problem for me running Vista Sp1

My computer auto updated when i was asleep some days ago (the 18th i
think) And when i woke up the computer was dead. Tried to restart but
it went into restore savepoint mode. So i chose a restart b4 the
update andd everything was OK.
And then tonight it tried the same thing. So i had to again start at a
point b4 windiws update did its evil work.

Now ive shut off that service until they fix it.

This is what it was trying to install:

KB963027
KB952004
KB956572