windows update problem

karthigeyan

windows update problem

I am unable to update windows but there is no problem in my system.I am
using win xp pro Service pack 2 with NOD32 antivirus .When I did
research on it it said Your registry values have been altered and when i
checked my registry the Automatic Update and BITS have not been started
but when I tried to start this It gave my an error message 2 system
cannot find the file specified.When I checked regedit the file name of
the image path have been altered to Fstem which should be System but
when I tried to edit this it said cannot edit error writing the value's
new content.Pla give me any solution

--
karthigeyan
karthigeyan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90186.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

John Butler

Re: windows update problem
Two suggestions
1 Run SFC /scannow from a command prompt
2 Make sure you have set permissions to allow you to make the regedit you
want to do. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421)
--
Old Uncle John
"karthigeyan" <karthigeyan.3qoj3c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I am unable to update windows but there is no problem in my system.I am
> using win xp pro Service pack 2 with NOD32 antivirus .When I did
> research on it it said Your registry values have been altered and when i
> checked my registry the Automatic Update and BITS have not been started
> but when I tried to start this It gave my an error message 2 system
> cannot find the file specified.When I checked regedit the file name of
> the image path have been altered to Fstem which should be System but
> when I tried to edit this it said cannot edit error writing the value's
> new content.Pla give me any solution
>

> --
> karthigeyan
> karthigeyan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90186.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1161652.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

karthigeyan

Re: windows update problem

when i did the suggestion 1 SFC /scannow it asked for OS CD when I put
the CD int my drive.It took some time for scan and returned no
results.Pls can you say me the next step.

I dont understand the second step can you pls say it clearly.I am not
very much good in system.

--
karthigeyan
karthigeyan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90186.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1161654.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

John Butler

Re: windows update problem
Hit control + left click on the link to read the web page suggested

--
Old Uncle John
"karthigeyan" <karthigeyan.3qoona@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> when i did the suggestion 1 SFC /scannow it asked for OS CD when I put
> the CD int my drive.It took some time for scan and returned no
> results.Pls can you say me the next step.
>
> I dont understand the second step can you pls say it clearly.I am not
> very much good in system.
>

> --
> karthigeyan
> karthigeyan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90186.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1161654.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Re: windows update problem
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the affects of a hijackware
infection.

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm