Service pack 3 Windows XP Pro installs but will only boot ssafe mode normal mode stays live on first Windows screen

John Butler

Service pack 3 Windows XP Pro installs but will only boot ssafe mode normal mode stays live on first Windows screen
1 I have an Asus\AMD system and cannot install SP3

2a Before installing the service pack from a MS SP3 CD I took all the recommended preparation steps including two to remove the AMD bug in SP3 and checked that my system was SP3 ready.
2b The install was without incident (about 20 minutes). I rebooted and the system entered Windows but stayed (not frozen) at the first screen "i.e chucking bricks".
2c Then I rebooted into Safe mode: there were no problems.
2d I tried rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking but the system booted into Safemode and then closed at once.
3 I contacted MS SP3 chat and made my system available to the technician who could not see anything wrong with system's setup.

4 I do not want to spend a long time on this as I am planning to move upgrade mother board to Windows 7 ASP when retail release available. However I would like to fix SP3 in the meantime.
5 I have slipstreamed SP3 to a new CD from my retail Win XP Pro. Would it be feasible to run this as a repair install on the existing system starting within Windows XP 2?

6 Any other suggestions would be much appreciated

Old Uncle John

Re: Service pack 3 Windows XP Pro installs but will only boot ssafe mode normal mode stays live on first Windows screen
The year-long, no-charge support for WinXP SP3 installation and compatibility issues ended on 14 April 2009 (yesterday).

At this point, I'd say you have four choices:

1. Re-open your Support Incident and ask for a Level2 tech. As long as the Support Incident (SRX) began prior to 15 April 2009, the support should still be free.

2a. Read: http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx

2b. Uninstall SP3 per the above & reboot twice.

2c. Reinstall SP3 per the above & reboot twice.

3. Open a new Support Incident (for which you will be charged a minimum of $159.00 USD).

4. Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows (using your slipstreamed CD). Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) probably will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

"John Butler" <onclejon@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23TL22MbvJHA.5836@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
[...]

Hi ~Robear

Thanks for your helpful and explicit post. I have a couple of questions:
a) I still have YESTERDAYS chat incident number, can I reopen the incident with that if so what is the best way?
b) What do you mean by " a new USB key to go on line" ? I connect three OS via router linked to cable broadband (20mbs)

Finally, the system actually works well and to follow your guidelines looks like two hours work to set up the first system and then about another hour cloning the other two systems. Is it worth it?
Best wishes
Old Uncle John
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23UO0tBfvJHA.1536@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

A1. The same way you started the chat yesterday; if chat is no longer available, use email support and cite the SRX number in your message.

A2. There is every possibility that previously-used media (USB key, AKA Flash drive; CD; DVD) are infected. If it's used on a "clean" machine, the machine could be reinfected within seconds.

If a machine is networked with other machines via the LAN and another machine is infected, a "clean" machine can be infected with seconds of connecting to the network.

If one or more of the machines on a network are infected, the router may be infected, too.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
[...]

Hi PA Bear

I did go through the steps you suggested but no solution from Microsoft, I still end up with SP3 nicely installed and able to boot into safe mode but hanging in Normal mode. Login at the vent log after an unsuccessful Normal boot I see that Athlon K8 failed to load. I have removed all the Intel prescriptions from the registry but it would seem that this Asus Athlon processor is not compatible with SP3.

April 23rd 2009
Old Uncle John