KB 905474 Install wizard nag screen needs removal

Tom B

KB 905474 Install wizard nag screen needs removal
I'm receiving a nag screen to use the install wizard for KB 905474 each time
the computer is booted. I reject nag screens and want to get this off my
system.

It appears that Windows KB 905474 has been downloaded on the PC with the
last Windows update to install WGA. Reports from others on the forums
indicate hours and hours of trouble caused by WGA.

Re: KB 905474 Install wizard nag screen needs removal
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

Tip: Change your Automatic Updates setting from "Download but notify" to
"Notify only."

Tom B wrote:
> I'm receiving a nag screen to use the install wizard for KB 905474 each
> time
> the computer is booted. I reject nag screens and want to get this off my
> system.
>
> It appears that Windows KB 905474 has been downloaded on the PC with the
> last Windows update to install WGA. Reports from others on the forums
> indicate hours and hours of trouble caused by WGA.

Tom B

Re: KB 905474 Install wizard nag screen needs removal
When I proceeded with step 3:

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

The scan would not complete. The progress indicator kept running and didn't
stop.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> Close the window.
>
> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
> again").
>
> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>
> Tip: Change your Automatic Updates setting from "Download but notify" to
> "Notify only."
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Tom B wrote:
> > I'm receiving a nag screen to use the install wizard for KB 905474 each
> > time
> > the computer is booted. I reject nag screens and want to get this off my
> > system.
> >
> > It appears that Windows KB 905474 has been downloaded on the PC with the
> > last Windows update to install WGA. Reports from others on the forums
> > indicate hours and hours of trouble caused by WGA.

Tom B

Re: KB 905474 Install wizard nag screen needs removal
This now seems to be fixed after a total re-start. Thank you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> Close the window.
>
> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
> again").
>
> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>
> Tip: Change your Automatic Updates setting from "Download but notify" to
> "Notify only."
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Tom B wrote:
> > I'm receiving a nag screen to use the install wizard for KB 905474 each
> > time
> > the computer is booted. I reject nag screens and want to get this off my
> > system.
> >
> > It appears that Windows KB 905474 has been downloaded on the PC with the
> > last Windows update to install WGA. Reports from others on the forums
> > indicate hours and hours of trouble caused by WGA.

Re: KB 905474 Install wizard nag screen needs removal
YW & thanks for your feedback. (With so many updates released today for so
many OSS, the demand on the WU servers are quite intense right now.)

Tom B wrote:
> This now seems to be fixed after a total re-start. Thank you.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
>> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>>
>> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
>> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
>> Close the window.
>>
>> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
>> complete | Uncheck/deselect KB905474 and hide it ("Don't show me this
>> update again").
>>
>> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
>> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>>
>> Tip: Change your Automatic Updates setting from "Download but notify" to
>> "Notify only."
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Tom B wrote:
>>> I'm receiving a nag screen to use the install wizard for KB 905474 each
>>> time
>>> the computer is booted. I reject nag screens and want to get this off
>>> my
>>> system.
>>>
>>> It appears that Windows KB 905474 has been downloaded on the PC with the
>>> last Windows update to install WGA. Reports from others on the forums
>>> indicate hours and hours of trouble caused by WGA.

paolozec

Re: KB 905474 Install wizard nag screen needs removal

I exactly followed your instructions but unfortunately running Windows
update i get the below message:

Any idea how to do ? Thanks, Paolo

""The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
services is not running:
• Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
• Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates
download more quickly and without problems if the download process is
interrupted)
• Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then
click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button. "

--
paolozec
paolozec's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/137536.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1161073.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

paolozec wrote:
> I exactly followed your instructions but unfortunately running
> Windows update i get the below message:
>
> Any idea how to do ? Thanks, Paolo
>
> ""The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
> services is not running:
> • Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> • Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates
> download more quickly and without problems if the download process
> is interrupted)
> • Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and
> then click Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status
> is Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
> Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status
> is Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service
> Status is Stopped click on the Start Button. "

You have replied to a forum posting likely synchronized from an actual
newsgroup. In doing so - you get what you see above - not a complete
conversation by any means.

The conversation, from April of this year, can be found here:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...173ce30b749e4/

Excluding, for some unknown reason, Tom B's original post:

Tom B wrote:
> I'm receiving a nag screen to use the install wizard for KB 905474 each
> timethe computer is booted. I reject nag screens and want to get this
> off my system.
>
> It appears that Windows KB 905474 has been downloaded on the PC
> with the last Windows update to install WGA. Reports from others on
> the forums indicate hours and hours of trouble caused by WGA.

But with that - everything is complete.

My suggestion to you is long, but should clear up your problem (and likely a
half-dozen plus others you did not even know you had. ;-) )

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and flavor) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.

Post _both_ in response to this message verbatim. ;-)

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you should have SP3 installed - if not - you can
do that *later* - it is not necessary to continue with the cleanup.)

Reboot and ...

Search your registry for %fystem and replace the "f" with an "s". May be
three or four matches, may be none. You may even have to take ownership
(even after doing the above) of the keys in order to make the change.

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.
Installing the latest updates may have you rebooting several times,
which is fine - but after you are sure you are done - still...

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

In any case - no matter what - when you are done doing whatever you decide
to do - please - come back here and let everyone know what you did and
how things turned out.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP