Problem with windows update

Apple

Problem with windows update
Hi
My antivirus McAfee deleted WUAUCLT.EXE from Windows\System32 and now I
can't update windows. I did a system scan (sfc /scannow) and it found a
problem but couldn't fix it. Is there any way I can replace WUAUCLT.EXE
without having to restore windows from backup. Windows Vista came
pre-installed with my PC and it also came with a Vista Upgrade Disk.

Thanks.

Re: Problem with windows update
Contact McAfee Support.

Apple wrote:
> Hi
> My antivirus McAfee deleted WUAUCLT.EXE from Windows\System32 and now I
> can't update windows. I did a system scan (sfc /scannow) and it found a
> problem but couldn't fix it. Is there any way I can replace WUAUCLT.EXE
> without having to restore windows from backup. Windows Vista came
> pre-installed with my PC and it also came with a Vista Upgrade Disk.
>
> Thanks.

Apple

Re: Problem with windows update
I did. They said they can't do anything about it. I also e-mailed microsoft
and got same from them.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Contact McAfee Support.
>
> Apple wrote:
> > Hi
> > My antivirus McAfee deleted WUAUCLT.EXE from Windows\System32 and now I
> > can't update windows. I did a system scan (sfc /scannow) and it found a
> > problem but couldn't fix it. Is there any way I can replace WUAUCLT.EXE
> > without having to restore windows from backup. Windows Vista came
> > pre-installed with my PC and it also came with a Vista Upgrade Disk.
> >
> > Thanks.

LoneStar

"Apple" <Apple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I did. They said they can't do anything about it. I also e-mailed

microsoft
> and got same from them.

System restore might work -- try it.

FYI, I learned my lesson long ago to stay far away from Norton and McAfee.
Many, many problems all throughout Usenet are related to these two. Just my
opinion, though.

EW

Re: Problem with windows update
How have you determined that the McAfee application deleted the file?

What's the name of the McAfee application you have installed? Have you
purchased it and is your subscription current?

Apple wrote:
> I did. They said they can't do anything about it. I also e-mailed
> microsoft and got same from them.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Contact McAfee Support.
>>
>> Apple wrote:
>>> My antivirus McAfee deleted WUAUCLT.EXE from Windows\System32 and now I
>>> can't update windows. I did a system scan (sfc /scannow) and it found a
>>> problem but couldn't fix it. Is there any way I can replace
>>> WUAUCLT.EXE
>>> without having to restore windows from backup. Windows Vista came
>>> pre-installed with my PC and it also came with a Vista Upgrade Disk.

Apple

Re: Problem with windows update
Sorry, I meant quarantined. McAfee Security Suite provided by my ISP. I was
just going though the setting and I came across some quarantined files
nothing serious just some test files from eicar.org then I saw the
WUAUCLT.EXE from Windows\System32 detected as some worm. I am thinking of
installing Returnil Virtual System then restore WUAUCLT and scan it using
virscan.org

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> How have you determined that the McAfee application deleted the file?
>
> What's the name of the McAfee application you have installed? Have you
> purchased it and is your subscription current?
>
> Apple wrote:
> > I did. They said they can't do anything about it. I also e-mailed
> > microsoft and got same from them.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Contact McAfee Support.

Re: Problem with windows update
Excuse me? VirusScan detected and quarantined this file yet McAfee Support
refused to assist you? What does your ISP have to say about this?
(Microsoft has zero responsibility here.)

What happens if you restore the file from Quarantine now (and tell VirusScan
to ignore it later)?

How long have you had this freebie McAfee Security Center installed? What
anti-virus application was installed before you installed it?

I would NOT jump the gun just yet & install another anti-virus application.