error: 80070103

John

error: 80070103
Hello,
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. On Sunday a new optional update
popped up in my update list and I go to install it and receive the error:
80070103 "Windows update encountered an unknown error"
The update is for Realtek-Network-Realtek RTL8168B/8111B family PCI-E GBE Nic
My network adapter is running fine but I am just curious if anyone else is
encountering this error and what can be done about it. I went to device
manager and tried to update the driver from there but no update is available.
Thank You
John
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: error: 80070103

"John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B38C09B2-36C1-42F1-9460-2DAEBEA73045@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. On Sunday a new optional update
> popped up in my update list and I go to install it and receive the error:
> 80070103 "Windows update encountered an unknown error"

If you take the decimal equivalent of the last half of your code
as a message number it is a pretty vague diagnostic:

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>net helpmsg 259

No more data is available.
</cmd_output>

Try to see if the install log (or any other diagnostics the install may have
created) give you some context for this code? Search for both the
hex characters 103 and the decimal value 259 for completeness.

> The update is for Realtek-Network-Realtek RTL8168B/8111B family PCI-E GBE Nic
> My network adapter is running fine but I am just curious if anyone else is
> encountering this error and what can be done about it. I went to device
> manager and tried to update the driver from there but no update is available.
> Thank You
> John

Often people are wary of installing driver files distributed by AU
but take that as a hint to go to the manufacturer's site and see
if there is anything interesting going on with their driver there. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: error: 80070103
Hide the update. Get any updates you may need from Realtek.

John wrote:
> Hello,
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. On Sunday a new optional
> update
> popped up in my update list and I go to install it and receive the error:
> 80070103 "Windows update encountered an unknown error"
> The update is for Realtek-Network-Realtek RTL8168B/8111B family PCI-E GBE
> Nic My network adapter is running fine but I am just curious if anyone
> else
> is encountering this error and what can be done about it. I went to
> device
> manager and tried to update the driver from there but no update is
> available. Thank You
> John

Mark S-123

RE: error: 80070103
I get the same error. I am also running Vista Ultimate X64. Same update for
Realtek.

I will hide the update.

Mark

"John" wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. On Sunday a new optional update
> popped up in my update list and I go to install it and receive the error:
> 80070103 "Windows update encountered an unknown error"
> The update is for Realtek-Network-Realtek RTL8168B/8111B family PCI-E GBE Nic
> My network adapter is running fine but I am just curious if anyone else is
> encountering this error and what can be done about it. I went to device
> manager and tried to update the driver from there but no update is available.
> Thank You
> John

John

RE: error: 80070103
Thank you. I will hide the update and go to Realtek.
John

"Mark S-123" wrote:

> I get the same error. I am also running Vista Ultimate X64. Same update for
> Realtek.
>
> I will hide the update.
>

> Mark
>

> "John" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. On Sunday a new optional update
> > popped up in my update list and I go to install it and receive the error:
> > 80070103 "Windows update encountered an unknown error"
> > The update is for Realtek-Network-Realtek RTL8168B/8111B family PCI-E GBE Nic
> > My network adapter is running fine but I am just curious if anyone else is
> > encountering this error and what can be done about it. I went to device
> > manager and tried to update the driver from there but no update is available.
> > Thank You
> > John

Chris Schafer

RE: error: 80070103
It says at the bottom of the error "Windows can't update important files and
services while the system is using them. Save any open files, and then
restart the computer."

Since this is a NIC driver update Windows Update is probably using the
internet itself and therefore would be reluctant to cut itself off to update
the driver...

Does anyone know if this is for the wireless as well? I'm updating off of
wireless so it wouldn't make any sense to me that the NIC cannot be halted
nothing is even plugged in to it.

P.S. On a Toshibia Satellite L300D, will post if I find a solution.
John

RE: error: 80070103
I was actually able to fix the problem by going to Realtek and downloading
the update from there and installing it and now windows update does not show
that update anymore.
John

"Chris Schafer" wrote:

> It says at the bottom of the error "Windows can't update important files and
> services while the system is using them. Save any open files, and then
> restart the computer."
>
> Since this is a NIC driver update Windows Update is probably using the
> internet itself and therefore would be reluctant to cut itself off to update
> the driver...
>
> Does anyone know if this is for the wireless as well? I'm updating off of
> wireless so it wouldn't make any sense to me that the NIC cannot be halted
> nothing is even plugged in to it.
>
> P.S. On a Toshibia Satellite L300D, will post if I find a solution.

Chris Schafer

RE: error: 80070103
Got the feb 09 drivers for my 8102/8103 from here,

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

If you follow that link make sure you check to the driver your downloading
is for your NIC... mine was pci-e others I saw were PCI, & rtl# will vary by
make and model. Also, double check the edition their labeling scheme is like
GPU's kinda all over...

Thanks again John

P.S. The windows update is still nagging me but it may not update right
away, just gonna hide it for now.

"John" wrote:

> I was actually able to fix the problem by going to Realtek and downloading
> the update from there and installing it and now windows update does not show
> that update anymore.
> John

Jean-Pol

RE: error: 80070103
I've the same error with my Vista Ultimate 32 bit on my laptop Asus G2Pc.
It is the same driver update Realtek RTL8168/8111B Family PCI-E GBE NIC.

"John" wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. On Sunday a new optional update
> popped up in my update list and I go to install it and receive the error:
> 80070103 "Windows update encountered an unknown error"
> The update is for Realtek-Network-Realtek RTL8168B/8111B family PCI-E GBE Nic
> My network adapter is running fine but I am just curious if anyone else is
> encountering this error and what can be done about it. I went to device
> manager and tried to update the driver from there but no update is available.
> Thank You
> John

svalencia

RE: error: 80070103
Also, make sure you download the "Auto Installation program" for your version
of Windows. The other downloads offer just the dll and sys files, those would
be risky to install by hand.

The two valid downloads I see are:

- Auto installation program (support Vista 64 and Vista) (Submission
ID:1325898)
- Auto installation program (Support WinXP64/WinXP/Win2K)(Submission
ID:1325897)

Cheers,
SV