(KB951847) x86

Andrew

(KB951847) x86
I have a question about the "important" update that's floating in my Windows
Update screen.

The label for the update is "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and
..NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86". According to Windows
Update, this particular patch is 248.4 MB. That's pretty large. This is where
my problem lies.

I don't have the benefit of having access to DSL or Cable internet due to
budget limitations. My primary internet connection is therefore limited to a
dialup line through the phone. And at 5.4 KB/s, this patch would take over 15
hours to download and I can't leave the computer connected to the internet
for that long.

So what I want to know is if there is a smaller version of this patch
available for me to use. It is certainly not convenient to "lag" all day
because my computer is downloading this large patch. Even if I could leave it
connected all day, the lag this would incurr will impact everything that my
family does and they will certainly become irate when they find out that
their various internet activities are lagged.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: (KB951847) x86

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D83783E-D657-47C4-B071-9E7BD9E10D1B@microsoft.com...
>I have a question about the "important" update that's floating in my Windows
> Update screen.
>
> The label for the update is "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and
> .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86". According to Windows
> Update, this particular patch is 248.4 MB. That's pretty large. This is where
> my problem lies.
>
> I don't have the benefit of having access to DSL or Cable internet due to
> budget limitations. My primary internet connection is therefore limited to a
> dialup line through the phone. And at 5.4 KB/s, this patch would take over 15
> hours to download and I can't leave the computer connected to the internet
> for that long.
>

> So what I want to know is if there is a smaller version of this patch
> available for me to use. It is certainly not convenient to "lag" all day
> because my computer is downloading this large patch. Even if I could leave it
> connected all day, the lag this would incurr will impact everything that my
> family does and they will certainly become irate when they find out that
> their various internet activities are lagged.

The smallest patch you could get would be by downloading it via AU.
Supposedly AU throttles itself according to any other use of the machine.
Supposedly also it can resume downloading when interrupted for other
reasons, such as the connection being broken. In addition you could
use bitsadmin if necessary to suspend a download. However, I can
recall seeing Suspend as an option when the AU icon is right-clicked
while BITS is doing a download, so that might be even easier and just
as reliable a way of making sure it didn't interrupt you when you didn't
want it to.

So, provided you don't leave it permanently suspended, theoretically
it could eventually download over a number of sessions, thus minimizing
your inconvenience but at the same time minimizing the size of the download.
E.g. when you get WU/AU to do the download they can check to see how
much of it is redundant according to the versions of the files being downloaded
that you already have. If you are just downloading the update from the
catalog or otherwise then you do end up downloading the full stated size.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

dad