Windows Server 2008 - Windows Update Failing - Error 8024401F

Greg Wilkerson

Windows Server 2008 - Windows Update Failing - Error 8024401F
I'm at a total loss here. I simply installed Windows 2008 Server Standard
and clicked the link to update windows. Just that simple.

None of the other machines on my network have any troubles.

What am I missing?

--
Greg Wilkerson

Re: Windows Server 2008 - Windows Update Failing - Error 8024401F
8024401F = WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_SERVER_ERROR
Http status 502 - error response received from gateway

Could be a proxy or (ISA) firewall problem, Greg, or could be temporary
problems on MS's end.

Any other errors in WindowsUpdate.log (e.g., 0x8024000C; 801901f4)?

Are you updating via WSUS?

Greg Wilkerson wrote:
> I'm at a total loss here. I simply installed Windows 2008 Server Standard
> and clicked the link to update windows. Just that simple.
>
> None of the other machines on my network have any troubles.
>
> What am I missing?

Greg Wilkerson

Re: Windows Server 2008 - Windows Update Failing - Error 8024401F
I am not certain, but I do believe it's WSUS (do I have a choice with W2k8?).
I am running an ISA Server. If this is using a special port, I can
configure that. I've been installing and uninstalling this on the machine
for the last week or so (reformatting between each install). I kind of doubt
ISA server is the case, but anything is possible. I just don't recall this
being an issue before.
--
Greg Wilkerson

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 8024401F = WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_SERVER_ERROR
> Http status 502 - error response received from gateway
>
> Could be a proxy or (ISA) firewall problem, Greg, or could be temporary
> problems on MS's end.
>
> Any other errors in WindowsUpdate.log (e.g., 0x8024000C; 801901f4)?
>
> Are you updating via WSUS?
>

> Greg Wilkerson wrote:
> > I'm at a total loss here. I simply installed Windows 2008 Server Standard
> > and clicked the link to update windows. Just that simple.
> >
> > None of the other machines on my network have any troubles.
> >
> > What am I missing?

Re: Windows Server 2008 - Windows Update Failing - Error 8024401F
Try posting to the WSUS-specific newsgroup instead, Greg
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services).

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:

Greg Wilkerson wrote:
> I am not certain, but I do believe it's WSUS (do I have a choice with
> W2k8?). I am running an ISA Server. If this is using a special port, I
> can
> configure that. I've been installing and uninstalling this on the machine
> for the last week or so (reformatting between each install). I kind of
> doubt ISA server is the case, but anything is possible. I just don't
> recall this being an issue before.
>
>> 8024401F = WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_SERVER_ERROR
>> Http status 502 - error response received from gateway
>>
>> Could be a proxy or (ISA) firewall problem, Greg, or could be temporary
>> problems on MS's end.
>>
>> Any other errors in WindowsUpdate.log (e.g., 0x8024000C; 801901f4)?
>>
>> Are you updating via WSUS?
>>

>> Greg Wilkerson wrote:
>>> I'm at a total loss here. I simply installed Windows 2008 Server
>>> Standard
>>> and clicked the link to update windows. Just that simple.
>>>
>>> None of the other machines on my network have any troubles.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?

Greg Wilkerson

Re: Windows Server 2008 - Windows Update Failing - Error 8024401F
Thanks for the assistance. I just finished posting it over there.

--
Greg Wilkerson

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Try posting to the WSUS-specific newsgroup instead, Greg
> (microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services).
>
> On the web:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>
> In your newsreader:
>

> Greg Wilkerson wrote:
> > I am not certain, but I do believe it's WSUS (do I have a choice with
> > W2k8?). I am running an ISA Server. If this is using a special port, I
> > can
> > configure that. I've been installing and uninstalling this on the machine
> > for the last week or so (reformatting between each install). I kind of
> > doubt ISA server is the case, but anything is possible. I just don't
> > recall this being an issue before.
> >
> >> 8024401F = WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_SERVER_ERROR
> >> Http status 502 - error response received from gateway
> >>
> >> Could be a proxy or (ISA) firewall problem, Greg, or could be temporary
> >> problems on MS's end.
> >>
> >> Any other errors in WindowsUpdate.log (e.g., 0x8024000C; 801901f4)?
> >>
> >> Are you updating via WSUS?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Greg Wilkerson wrote:

> I am not certain, but I do believe it's WSUS (do I have a choice with W2k8?).

As discussed in m.p.w.s.update_services, Greg isn't using WSUS.

> I am running an ISA Server. If this is using a special port, I can
> configure that. I've been installing and uninstalling this on the machine
> for the last week or so (reformatting between each install). I kind of doubt
> ISA server is the case, but anything is possible. I just don't recall this
> being an issue before.

PA Bear, are you familiar with ISA? I'm not sure what sort of troubleshooting
steps would be appropriate - perhaps trying a different IP number, or a
different computer name in case the issue is related to the computer's AD account?

Harry.

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> > 8024401F = WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_SERVER_ERROR
>> > Http status 502 - error response received from gateway
>> >
>> > Could be a proxy or (ISA) firewall problem, Greg, or could be temporary
>> > problems on MS's end.
>> >
>> > Any other errors in WindowsUpdate.log (e.g., 0x8024000C; 801901f4)?
>> >
>> > Are you updating via WSUS?

Re: Windows Server 2008 - Windows Update Failing - Error 8024401F
Perhaps our colleagues in the ISA-specific newsgroup might be able to lend a
hand here, Harry? As such, I'm forwarding this thread to
microsoft.public.isa via crosspost.

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> Greg Wilkerson wrote:
>
>> I am not certain, but I do believe it's WSUS (do I have a choice with
>> W2k8?).

> As discussed in m.p.w.s.update_services, Greg isn't using WSUS.
>
>> I am running an ISA Server. If this is using a special port, I can
>> configure that. I've been installing and uninstalling this on the
>> machine
>> for the last week or so (reformatting between each install). I kind of
>> doubt ISA server is the case, but anything is possible. I just don't
>> recall this being an issue before.

> PA Bear, are you familiar with ISA? I'm not sure what sort of
> troubleshooting steps would be appropriate - perhaps trying a different IP
> number, or a different computer name in case the issue is related to the
> computer's AD
> account?
> Harry.

Phillip Windell

Re: Windows Server 2008 - Windows Update Failing - Error 8024401F
The best thing to do is don't get picky about the HTTP/HTTPS traffic
destinations. Just allow the WSUS Server to make HTTP/HTTPS outbound
communications where ever it wants. You can allow the WSUS box to do this
without allowing everything else on the network to do that.

MS does list Domain Names involved,..but since you should be running the
WSUS box as a SecureNAT Client the Domain Names are not relevant. SecureNAT
Client only deal with IP# between them and the ISA because SecureNAT Clients
do their own DNS resolution independently on their own before the WSUS
attempt ever hits the ISA,...hence ISA never sees the Domain Names and
cannot react to a rule that uses them.

Why SecureNAT? Well the machine needs to work when no one is logged into
it,..hence the traffic is anonymous,...and SecureNAT is the simplest way to
deal with anonymous traffic (it can't do authenticated traffic anyway).

However you can install the Firewall Client on the Server and try it with
the Domain Names as the Destiantion and see if it works. But there is some
inconsistancy in how FWCs do DNS resolution,...sometimes they do it on their
own like the SecureNAT Clients,...sometimes they let the ISA do it. The
"when & why" is kinda fuzzy to me so I'm not going to try to explain it.
But anything other than IP#s in the Destination Object won't work unless the
ISA does the DNS resolution on behalf of the Client.

I run the FWC on mine but I don't get picky about the destiantions. I *do*
have a rule that gets very "picky" but I moved it below another Rule that
lets the WSUS go wherever it wants so the "picky" rules never really gets
used anymore. I just keep the rule in case I ever change my mind,..then I
can just move it up above the other.

Using WSUS with the FWC is handy if your LAN is complex and does not lend
itself to using machines as SecureNAT Clients to the ISA,...such as a case
where the ISA is not within the default "path" of the LAN.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Technet Library
ISA2004
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx
ISA2006
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx

Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html

Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx

Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

> Perhaps our colleagues in the ISA-specific newsgroup might be able to lend
> a hand here, Harry? As such, I'm forwarding this thread to
> microsoft.public.isa via crosspost.
>
> Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
>> Greg Wilkerson wrote:
>>
>>> I am not certain, but I do believe it's WSUS (do I have a choice with
>>> W2k8?).

>> As discussed in m.p.w.s.update_services, Greg isn't using WSUS.
>>
>>> I am running an ISA Server. If this is using a special port, I can
>>> configure that. I've been installing and uninstalling this on the
>>> machine
>>> for the last week or so (reformatting between each install). I kind of
>>> doubt ISA server is the case, but anything is possible. I just don't
>>> recall this being an issue before.

>> PA Bear, are you familiar with ISA? I'm not sure what sort of
>> troubleshooting steps would be appropriate - perhaps trying a different
>> IP
>> number, or a different computer name in case the issue is related to the
>> computer's AD
>> account?

Lista is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Server 2008 - Windows Update Failing - Error 8024401F
Open up a command prompt and type/paste the following, hit enter.

wuauclt /detectnow /resetauthorization

Then re-run the Windows Update GUI. This is a WSUS client fix.

Update: In addition to this, it can also be that the WSUS GPO settings are Notify only, if this is the case.
- Remove the server from GPO settings OU and manually update via Microsoft
- Change the GPO settings to Notify and Download
- Put the server back in the appropriate OU

All the best.

Lista Vista

Last edited by Lista : 01-12-2012 at 00:23.