code 534 error with windows update for bis

neo7

code 534 error with windows update for bis
Hi. My Windows update has been trying to install Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Express Edition SP3 (KB955706) for the last two months, and every time it
tries to install it, it keeps coming up with this error: Code 534 - Windows
has encountered an unknown error. Does anyone know what this error is and
what I can do to solve it, apart from turning the update off? Windows update
says this update is important for my system. I'm running Windows Vista
Premium SP1.
Thanks.
Sky King

Re: code 534 error with windows update for bis
Hi;

I couldn't find anything meaningfull about error code 534, but a resolution
would be to manually download/install that SP. You can find it here:

or at least use that as a starting point if I've picked the wrong version.

BTW, the only thing I could find on error 534 was related to an arithmetic
overflow issue. Rather than an actual 5000-bit "1 plus 1 = eleventy-seven"
type error I would suspect this to be due to some type of corruption in the
files involved or issues on the entire system. Recommend you clean out all
the Temp/Tmp locations (there may be as many as 5 on your system); that you
do a Disk Clean Up on the drive involved; that you boot into Safe Mode and
delete the entire Software Distribution folder {it will be rebuilt on your
next WU attempt, and nothing is really lost with the possible exception of
some updating history items}. Booting into Safe Mode will also force a
total rebuild of your Pagefile.sys file, which also may help.

You should also check that you have adequate free space on that drive, that
there is nothing interfering with the installs/permissions (things like some
Norton products, 3rd party "protect the user and the Registry" type things,
download accellerators), malware/virus/trojan infestations, administrative
rights enabled, etc., etc.

HTH

--
....Sky
====

"neo7" <neo7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. My Windows update has been trying to install Microsoft SQL Server 2005
> Express Edition SP3 (KB955706) for the last two months, and every time it
> tries to install it, it keeps coming up with this error: Code 534 -
> Windows
> has encountered an unknown error. Does anyone know what this error is and
> what I can do to solve it, apart from turning the update off? Windows
> update
> says this update is important for my system. I'm running Windows Vista
> Premium SP1.
> Thanks.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: code 534 error with windows update for bis
(cross-post added to SQL Setup)
"neo7" <neo7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20DB873C-BC56-400E-B891-708C0BF5891D@microsoft.com...
> Hi. My Windows update has been trying to install Microsoft SQL Server 2005
> Express Edition SP3 (KB955706) for the last two months, and every time it
> tries to install it, it keeps coming up with this error: Code 534 - Windows
> has encountered an unknown error.

> Does anyone know what this error is and
> what I can do to solve it, apart from turning the update off?

How are you seeing this? What is the context for it in the log(s)?

If it is a hex value you are seeing convert it to decimal
and then do your investigation with it.

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x534
1332
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
</cmd_output>

> Windows update
> says this update is important for my system. I'm running Windows Vista
> Premium SP1.
> Thanks.

If you aren't already doing this, download the update and try installing it
manually. Then if there is still a problem installing it, your symptom would
be independent of the distribution mechanism and hence you may find
more knowledgeable help (e.g. someone else who has actually updated
successfully) in a newsgroup which specializes in the product being updated.
Cross-posting to SQL Setup for convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---