Windows XP/ Windows Movie Maker Problems

RachieRae

Windows XP/ Windows Movie Maker Problems

Hello.
I've been having problems with windows movie maker as well as my
computer in general. To start, let me tell you that I don't know much
about computers. I know I have a compaq computer with windows xp, and it
has windows xp service pack 3.

Now, the problems I've been having revolve around windows movie maker.
My computer was originally owned my my mom's work company, and a lot of
the programs such as movie maker and microsoft word were taken off. I'm
unsure if I have windows update and automatic updates, for when I go
into control panel and click on automatic updates my options aren't
highlighted, and I cannot click on them. Is that because I'm not
necessarily the administrator?

Anyway, I was somehow able to download movie maker without windows
update. Here comes another problem. I could not import videos that were
from my video camera. An error pops up saying:

"The file cannot be imported because the codec required to play the
file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to
download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker,
and then try to import the file again."

I had this problem before on a different computer, and I was able to
fix it with gspot. But, this time I could not. I then found out that
"ffdshow decoder" could fix it, and it did. But again, it only lead to
another problem. When I placed the video clip in the storyboard, my
movie maker closed immediately with a error saying Windows encountered a
problem and it needed to be closed.

So as you can see, I'm tangled up in a huge mess. Is it because I'm not
the administrator of my computer? I have a stack of unanswered
questions, and I would really appreciate it if someone could "kindly"
help me. Please forgive me for my illiterateness. I'm extremely stressed
out.

--
RachieRae
RachieRae's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/88246.htm