Error number: 0x800A01CE

JWE49er

Error number: 0x800A01CE
In attempting to run Windows Update on my XP MCE 2005 w/ SP3 installed
running in safe mode I get the above error number. Any help?

Re: Error number: 0x800A01CE
0x800A01CE The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

And in normal mode or Safe Mode with Networking, what happens?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 0x800A01CE The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable
>
> And in normal mode or Safe Mode with Networking, what happens?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> JWE49er wrote:
> > In attempting to run Windows Update on my XP MCE 2005 w/ SP3 installed
> > running in safe mode I get the above error number. Any help?

JWE49er

Re: Error number: 0x800A01CE
Yes, it was safe mode with networking. I made the mistake of fooling around
with MMC and XP WMI without knowing what I was doing. I don't need to use
it. I'd like to get rid of it but don't know how.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 0x800A01CE The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable
>
> And in normal mode or Safe Mode with Networking, what happens?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> JWE49er wrote:
> > In attempting to run Windows Update on my XP MCE 2005 w/ SP3 installed
> > running in safe mode I get the above error number. Any help?

Re: Error number: 0x800A01CE
Repeat: Can you run Windows Update manually in normal (Windows) mode?

in the background when you installed SP3?

Do you have an available Restore Point which predates your "fooling around"?

JWE49er wrote:
> Yes, it was safe mode with networking. I made the mistake of fooling
> around
> with MMC and XP WMI without knowing what I was doing. I don't need to use
> it. I'd like to get rid of it but don't know how.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> 0x800A01CE The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable
>>
>> And in normal mode or Safe Mode with Networking, what happens?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> JWE49er wrote:
>>> In attempting to run Windows Update on my XP MCE 2005 w/ SP3 installed
>>> running in safe mode I get the above error number. Any help?

JWE49er

Re: Error number: 0x800A01CE

I have had Trend Micro security suite and then McAfee through comcast.
McAfee had an extra utility to uninstall it which I used. At the time I was
trying to run MS Update I had uninstalled all the security and disabled
Windows Firewall. I had also run PC Doctor's anti-spyware, but had
uninstalled that also.

No restore points are available.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repeat: Can you run Windows Update manually in normal (Windows) mode?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed SP3?

> Do you have an available Restore Point which predates your "fooling around"?
>

> JWE49er wrote:
> > Yes, it was safe mode with networking. I made the mistake of fooling
> > around
> > with MMC and XP WMI without knowing what I was doing. I don't need to use
> > it. I'd like to get rid of it but don't know how.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> 0x800A01CE The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable
> >>
> >> And in normal mode or Safe Mode with Networking, what happens?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Error number: 0x800A01CE
Reposting a third time:
>> Can you run Windows Update manually in normal (Windows) mode?

How long have you been running without an anti-virus application installed?

How long have you been running without a firewall enabled?

JWE49er wrote:
> I have had Trend Micro security suite and then McAfee through comcast.
> McAfee had an extra utility to uninstall it which I used. At the time I
> was
> trying to run MS Update I had uninstalled all the security and disabled
> Windows Firewall. I had also run PC Doctor's anti-spyware, but had
> uninstalled that also.
>
> No restore points are available.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Repeat: Can you run Windows Update manually in normal (Windows) mode?

>> applications running in the background when you installed SP3?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Do you have an available Restore Point which predates your "fooling
>> around"?
>>

>> JWE49er wrote:
>>> Yes, it was safe mode with networking. I made the mistake of fooling
>>> around
>>> with MMC and XP WMI without knowing what I was doing. I don't need to
>>> use
>>> it. I'd like to get rid of it but don't know how.

JWE49er

Re: Error number: 0x800A01CE
I cannot run in normal Windows mode. I get a BSOD and stop error message
0x000000C4 (# of 0s?). I regularly scan for viruses using online software,
etc. I only took windows firewall down to try to fix this problem.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Reposting a third time:
> >> Can you run Windows Update manually in normal (Windows) mode?

> How long have you been running without an anti-virus application installed?
>
> How long have you been running without a firewall enabled?
>
> JWE49er wrote:
> > I have had Trend Micro security suite and then McAfee through comcast.
> > McAfee had an extra utility to uninstall it which I used. At the time I
> > was
> > trying to run MS Update I had uninstalled all the security and disabled
> > Windows Firewall. I had also run PC Doctor's anti-spyware, but had
> > uninstalled that also.
> >
> > No restore points are available.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Repeat: Can you run Windows Update manually in normal (Windows) mode?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed SP3?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> Do you have an available Restore Point which predates your "fooling
> >> around"?

Re: Error number: 0x800A01CE
Repost:
> How long have you been running without an anti-virus application
> installed?

Occasional online-scans do not replace real-time AV protection.