Automatic Update distribution of IE8 (FYI)

Automatic Update distribution of IE8 (FYI)
[Crosspost to Windows Update & IE General newsgroups; Follow-up set to IE
General]

Prepare for Automatic Update distribution of IE8
<QP>
Starting on or about the third week of April [2009], users still running IE6
or IE7 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Server
2008 will get will get a notification through Automatic Update about IE8.
This rollout will start with a narrow audience and expand over time to the
entire user base. On Windows XP and Server 2003, the update will be [a]
High-Priority [update]. On Windows Vista and Server 2008 it will be [an]
Important [update].

IE8 will not automatically install on machines. Users must opt-in to install
IE8. Users will see a Welcome screen that offers choices: Ask later, install
now, or donít install.

[screenshot: http://ieblog.members.winisp.net/ima...comevista.png]

Users who decline the automatic update can still download it from
http://www.microsoft.com/ie8 or from Windows Update as an optional update...
</QP>
Source & more:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-of-ie8.aspx

Internet Explorer 8 Delivery through Automatic Updates
<QP>
Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with Automatic
Updates configured to automatically download and install updates) when
Internet Explorer 8 has been downloaded and is ready to install. The
notification and installation process will not start unless and until a user
who is a local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local
administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will thus
continue using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7.
</QP>
Source & more:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365125.aspx

PA Bear [MS-MVP]

Re: Automatic Update distribution of IE8 (FYI)
[Crosspost to Windows Update, IE General, and WinXP General
newsgroups; Follow-up set to IE General]

IE8 for Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and
Windows XP was released to Automatic Updates and Windows Update today
(28 April 2008). See previous post quoted below for additional
information.
--
~PA Bear