Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Microsof

DOSrelic

Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Microsof
Office 2007 Excel via options has 'Get Updates' but when clicked the page
always ends up with this Error number: 0x80070002!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHY?
Then I installed System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821)
[August 2008] as suggested and now I get error 0x8DDD0002.
Does nothing fix vista which isn't even listed as a supported operating
system?
Even tho I tried resetting my IE8, nope, edited the registry with regedit
to ensure I had permissions and nope!
Please how can I fix this without spending more money that I now don't have
after I spent it all on Vista ultimate & Office 2007 Enterprise?

This is a very frustrating and infuriating problem that should not happen
with a Microsoft proprietary software should it?

Any guidance and advice would be appreciated.
--
Thanks & Best Regards
DOSrelic®

Re: Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Microsof
Are you running Vista or Vista SP1?

Do you get the same error when attempting to run Windows Update manually
from the Start menu?

Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8?

DOSrelic wrote:
> Office 2007 Excel via options has 'Get Updates' but when clicked the page
> always ends up with this Error number: 0x80070002!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> problem.
> For self-help options:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> WHY?
> Then I installed System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821)
> [August 2008] as suggested and now I get error 0x8DDD0002.
> Does nothing fix vista which isn't even listed as a supported operating
> system?
> Even tho I tried resetting my IE8, nope, edited the registry with regedit
> to ensure I had permissions and nope!
> Please how can I fix this without spending more money that I now don't
> have
> after I spent it all on Vista ultimate & Office 2007 Enterprise?
>
> This is a very frustrating and infuriating problem that should not happen
> with a Microsoft proprietary software should it?
>
> Any guidance and advice would be appreciated.

DOSrelic

Re: Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Micr
Hi PA Bear,

thanks for the prompt response. I am running Vista SP1 (i think)? How can I
tell?
There is no Windows Update manually from the Start menu, only via the
control panel and it does say I am up to date hence my assumption it is Vista
SP1!
If I uninstall IE8 will I go back to IE7? It was actually better as we were
not forced into multiline toolbar positioning and could reopen tabs when IE
was started again!
However this does not explain why vista has this problem and Microsoft has
not attended to it yet. Hasn't this has been around since before IE8?

--
Thanks & Best Regards
DOSrelic®

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1?
>
> Do you get the same error when attempting to run Windows Update manually
> from the Start menu?
>
> Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8?
>

> DOSrelic wrote:
> > Office 2007 Excel via options has 'Get Updates' but when clicked the page
> > always ends up with this Error number: 0x80070002!
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> > trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> > problem.
> > For self-help options:
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > WHY?
> > Then I installed System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821)
> > [August 2008] as suggested and now I get error 0x8DDD0002.
> > Does nothing fix vista which isn't even listed as a supported operating
> > system?
> > Even tho I tried resetting my IE8, nope, edited the registry with regedit
> > to ensure I had permissions and nope!
> > Please how can I fix this without spending more money that I now don't
> > have
> > after I spent it all on Vista ultimate & Office 2007 Enterprise?
> >
> > This is a very frustrating and infuriating problem that should not happen
> > with a Microsoft proprietary software should it?
> >
> > Any guidance and advice would be appreciated.

Re: Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Micr
Sorry. Yes, you run Windows Update manually via Control Panel | Windows
Updates | Check for updates. If you do so, you do NOT encounter this error,
correct?

Yes, uninstalling IE8 will automatically return the machine to IE7; but on
second thought, do NOT do that yet, please!

Instead, open your browser to this illustration of Windows Update panel in
Vista:
http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto.../noupdates.jpg

Now open Control Panel | Windows Updates (again). In the bottom of that
window/panel:

1. What does it say after "You receive updates: for..." ?

2. Is the yellow "Get updates for more products" available or not?

DOSrelic wrote:
> Hi PA Bear,
>
> thanks for the prompt response. I am running Vista SP1 (i think)? How can
> tell?
> There is no Windows Update manually from the Start menu, only via the
> control panel and it does say I am up to date hence my assumption it is
> Vista SP1!
> If I uninstall IE8 will I go back to IE7? It was actually better as we
> were
> not forced into multiline toolbar positioning and could reopen tabs when
> IE
> was started again!
> However this does not explain why vista has this problem and Microsoft has
> not attended to it yet. Hasn't this has been around since before IE8?
>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1?
>>
>> Do you get the same error when attempting to run Windows Update manually
>> from the Start menu?
>>
>> Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8?
>>
>> DOSrelic wrote:
>>> Office 2007 Excel via options has 'Get Updates' but when clicked the
>>> page
>>> always ends up with this Error number: 0x80070002!
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
>>> are
>>> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
>>> problem.
>>> For self-help options:
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> WHY?
>>> Then I installed System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
>>> (KB947821)
>>> [August 2008] as suggested and now I get error 0x8DDD0002.
>>> Does nothing fix vista which isn't even listed as a supported operating
>>> system?
>>> Even tho I tried resetting my IE8, nope, edited the registry with
>>> regedit
>>> to ensure I had permissions and nope!
>>> Please how can I fix this without spending more money that I now don't
>>> have
>>> after I spent it all on Vista ultimate & Office 2007 Enterprise?
>>>
>>> This is a very frustrating and infuriating problem that should not
>>> happen
>>> with a Microsoft proprietary software should it?
>>>
>>> Any guidance and advice would be appreciated.

DOSrelic

Re: Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Micr
Correct no error manually and it says
"You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft update"
NOT IN YELLOW THO! Also another annoying Microsoft trait is the inability to
copy the text from that window like most error message windows!

--
Thanks & Best Regards
DOSrelic®

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Sorry. Yes, you run Windows Update manually via Control Panel | Windows
> Updates | Check for updates. If you do so, you do NOT encounter this error,
> correct?
>
> Yes, uninstalling IE8 will automatically return the machine to IE7; but on
> second thought, do NOT do that yet, please!
>
> Instead, open your browser to this illustration of Windows Update panel in
> Vista:
> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto.../noupdates.jpg
>
> Now open Control Panel | Windows Updates (again). In the bottom of that
> window/panel:
>
> 1. What does it say after "You receive updates: for..." ?
>
> 2. Is the yellow "Get updates for more products" available or not?
>
> DOSrelic wrote:
> > Hi PA Bear,
> >
> > thanks for the prompt response. I am running Vista SP1 (i think)? How can
> > tell?
> > There is no Windows Update manually from the Start menu, only via the
> > control panel and it does say I am up to date hence my assumption it is
> > Vista SP1!
> > If I uninstall IE8 will I go back to IE7? It was actually better as we
> > were
> > not forced into multiline toolbar positioning and could reopen tabs when
> > IE
> > was started again!
> > However this does not explain why vista has this problem and Microsoft has
> > not attended to it yet. Hasn't this has been around since before IE8?
> >
> > PA Bear wrote:
> >> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1?
> >>
> >> Do you get the same error when attempting to run Windows Update manually
> >> from the Start menu?
> >>
> >> Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8?

Re: Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Micr
Your reply tells me that Excel is already fully-patched and that updates for
Excel and other Office 2007 are offered and installed by Automatic Updates.

Short version: Don't use the "Get Updates" option in any Office application.
This feature was not really designed with Vista in mind.

DOSrelic wrote:
> Correct no error manually and it says
> "You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft
> update"
> NOT IN YELLOW THO! Also another annoying Microsoft trait is the inability
> copy the text from that window like most error message windows!
>

>> Sorry. Yes, you run Windows Update manually via Control Panel | Windows
>> Updates | Check for updates. If you do so, you do NOT encounter this
>> error, correct?
>>
>> Yes, uninstalling IE8 will automatically return the machine to IE7; but
>> on
>> second thought, do NOT do that yet, please!
>>
>> Instead, open your browser to this illustration of Windows Update panel
>> in
>> Vista:
>> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto.../noupdates.jpg
>>
>> Now open Control Panel | Windows Updates (again). In the bottom of that
>> window/panel:
>>
>> 1. What does it say after "You receive updates: for..." ?
>>
>> 2. Is the yellow "Get updates for more products" available or not?
>>
>> DOSrelic wrote:
>>> Hi PA Bear,
>>>
>>> thanks for the prompt response. I am running Vista SP1 (i think)? How
>>> can
>>> I
>>> tell?
>>> There is no Windows Update manually from the Start menu, only via the
>>> control panel and it does say I am up to date hence my assumption it is
>>> Vista SP1!
>>> If I uninstall IE8 will I go back to IE7? It was actually better as we
>>> were
>>> not forced into multiline toolbar positioning and could reopen tabs when
>>> IE
>>> was started again!
>>> However this does not explain why vista has this problem and Microsoft
>>> has
>>> not attended to it yet. Hasn't this has been around since before IE8?

DOSrelic

Re: Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Micr
Okay fine, so was anything designed with vista in mind? Considering you could
not get any other Microsoft operating system at the time I am now sorely
tempted to ditch Microsoft and go Open Office with Linux!
I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH OFFICE 2007 or VISTA!!!
They are both slow and RAM hungry creatures without the support previously
enjoyed with the proprietary software that Microsoft gained their marketplace
predominance with! Any reason to stay with Microsoft PA Bear [MS MVP]?
--
Thanks & Best Regards
DOSrelic®

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Your reply tells me that Excel is already fully-patched and that updates for
> Excel and other Office 2007 are offered and installed by Automatic Updates.
>
> Short version: Don't use the "Get Updates" option in any Office application.
> This feature was not really designed with Vista in mind.
>

> DOSrelic wrote:
> > Correct no error manually and it says
> > "You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft
> > update"
> > NOT IN YELLOW THO! Also another annoying Microsoft trait is the inability
> > copy the text from that window like most error message windows!
> >

> >> Sorry. Yes, you run Windows Update manually via Control Panel | Windows
> >> Updates | Check for updates. If you do so, you do NOT encounter this
> >> error, correct?
> >>
> >> Yes, uninstalling IE8 will automatically return the machine to IE7; but
> >> on
> >> second thought, do NOT do that yet, please!
> >>
> >> Instead, open your browser to this illustration of Windows Update panel
> >> in
> >> Vista:
> >> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto.../noupdates.jpg
> >>
> >> Now open Control Panel | Windows Updates (again). In the bottom of that
> >> window/panel:
> >>
> >> 1. What does it say after "You receive updates: for..." ?
> >>
> >> 2. Is the yellow "Get updates for more products" available or not?

Re: Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Micr
You're really drifting OT here. Nothing in your last reply relates to
Windows Update.

You might voice your concerns in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
and/or microsoft.public.excel.misc newsgroups.

NB: No one here represents or works for MS. This includes myself and other
MVPs: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpexecsum

DOSrelic wrote:
> Okay fine, so was anything designed with vista in mind? Considering you
> could not get any other Microsoft operating system at the time I am now
> sorely tempted to ditch Microsoft and go Open Office with Linux!
> I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH OFFICE 2007 or VISTA!!!
> They are both slow and RAM hungry creatures without the support previously
> enjoyed with the proprietary software that Microsoft gained their
> marketplace predominance with! Any reason to stay with Microsoft PA Bear
> [MS MVP]?
>
>> Your reply tells me that Excel is already fully-patched and that updates
>> for Excel and other Office 2007 are offered and installed by Automatic
>> Updates.
>>
>> Short version: Don't use the "Get Updates" option in any Office
>> application. This feature was not really designed with Vista in mind.
>>

>> DOSrelic wrote:
>>> Correct no error manually and it says
>>> "You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft
>>> update"
>>> NOT IN YELLOW THO! Also another annoying Microsoft trait is the
>>> inability
>>> copy the text from that window like most error message windows!

DOSrelic

Re: Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Micr
PA bear I apologise but you may have noticed that I did mention at the
beginning "This is a very frustrating and infuriating problem that should
not happen"! I realise that you are not the cause of it and yet receive the
brunt of Microsoft's client dissatisfaction but you have helped by advising
me to trust in the software even though there are so many areas where it does
fail so cheers mate.

--
Thanks & Best Regards
DOSrelic®

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You're really drifting OT here. Nothing in your last reply relates to
> Windows Update.
>
> You might voice your concerns in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
> and/or microsoft.public.excel.misc newsgroups.
>
> NB: No one here represents or works for MS. This includes myself and other
> MVPs: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpexecsum
>

> DOSrelic wrote:
> > Okay fine, so was anything designed with vista in mind? Considering you
> > could not get any other Microsoft operating system at the time I am now
> > sorely tempted to ditch Microsoft and go Open Office with Linux!
> > I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH OFFICE 2007 or VISTA!!!
> > They are both slow and RAM hungry creatures without the support previously
> > enjoyed with the proprietary software that Microsoft gained their
> > marketplace predominance with! Any reason to stay with Microsoft PA Bear
> > [MS MVP]?
> >
> >> Your reply tells me that Excel is already fully-patched and that updates
> >> for Excel and other Office 2007 are offered and installed by Automatic
> >> Updates.
> >>
> >> Short version: Don't use the "Get Updates" option in any Office
> >> application. This feature was not really designed with Vista in mind.

Re: Error 0x80070002 & 0x8DDD0002 as vista OS unrecognised by Micr
[I fully understand your frustration. Thanks for your feedback.]