KB958687 Setup Error

Danger Sullivan

KB958687 Setup Error
Last night I did my automatic updates. Twelve files were installed.
However, KB958687 would not install. I went to Microsoft's site and
downloaded the file for manual install.

I attempted the manual install, however, that failed also. I
double-clicked on the .exe and it looked like it was going to install
but very quickly I got a box that said "KB958687 Setup Error - Setup
could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure that
Cryptographic service is running on this computer".

I ran services.msc and it showed that Cryptographic service as started
and startup type as automatic.

I did a search on Microsoft's site and couldn't find any reference
to that particular error. Does anyone here have any ideas as to why
that one update couldn't be installed.

Thank you for any assistance.

Running WindowsXP Pro SP3
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: KB958687 Setup Error

"Danger Sullivan" <danger@every.where> wrote in message news:6idst4lhnpfd8v6ju3us3l0d33t1vm9r3n@4ax.com...
> Last night I did my automatic updates. Twelve files were installed.
> However, KB958687 would not install. I went to Microsoft's site and
> downloaded the file for manual install.
>
> I attempted the manual install, however, that failed also. I
> double-clicked on the .exe and it looked like it was going to install
> but very quickly I got a box that said "KB958687 Setup Error - Setup
> could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure that
> Cryptographic service is running on this computer".
>
> I ran services.msc and it showed that Cryptographic service as started
> and startup type as automatic.
>

> I did a search on Microsoft's site and couldn't find any reference
> to that particular error.

> Does anyone here have any ideas as to why
> that one update couldn't be installed.

Looks like you stopped searching too soon. ; )

<title>You cannot install some updates or programs</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

(Microsoft search for
cryptographic service regsvr32
)

> Thank you for any assistance.
>
> Running WindowsXP Pro SP3

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: KB958687 Setup Error
You cannot install some updates or programs:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/822798

Also see the "How to obtain help..." section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958687

Danger Sullivan wrote:
> Last night I did my automatic updates. Twelve files were installed.
> However, KB958687 would not install. I went to Microsoft's site and
> downloaded the file for manual install.
>
> I attempted the manual install, however, that failed also. I
> double-clicked on the .exe and it looked like it was going to install
> but very quickly I got a box that said "KB958687 Setup Error - Setup
> could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure that
> Cryptographic service is running on this computer".
>
> I ran services.msc and it showed that Cryptographic service as started
> and startup type as automatic.
>
> I did a search on Microsoft's site and couldn't find any reference
> to that particular error. Does anyone here have any ideas as to why
> that one update couldn't be installed.
>
> Thank you for any assistance.
>
> Running WindowsXP Pro SP3

Danger Sullivan

Re: KB958687 Setup Error
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:03:10 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

>"Danger Sullivan" <danger@every.where> wrote in message news:6idst4lhnpfd8v6ju3us3l0d33t1vm9r3n@4ax.com...
>> Last night I did my automatic updates. Twelve files were installed.
>> However, KB958687 would not install. I went to Microsoft's site and
>> downloaded the file for manual install.
>>
>> I attempted the manual install, however, that failed also. I
>> double-clicked on the .exe and it looked like it was going to install
>> but very quickly I got a box that said "KB958687 Setup Error - Setup
>> could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure that
>> Cryptographic service is running on this computer".
>>
>> I ran services.msc and it showed that Cryptographic service as started
>> and startup type as automatic.
>>

>> I did a search on Microsoft's site and couldn't find any reference
>> to that particular error.

>> Does anyone here have any ideas as to why
>> that one update couldn't be installed.

>Looks like you stopped searching too soon. ; )
>
><title>You cannot install some updates or programs</title>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
>(Microsoft search for
> cryptographic service regsvr32
>)
>

>> Thank you for any assistance.
>>
>> Running WindowsXP Pro SP3

>Good luck
>
>Robert Aldwinckle
>---

Yeah, I guess I used the wrong search syntax. Thanks for the URLs.
I tried as many "methods" as I was comfortable with. Still no joy.
Danger Sullivan

Re: KB958687 Setup Error
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:41:20 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>You cannot install some updates or programs:
>http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/822798
>
>Also see the "How to obtain help..." section of
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958687

I guess this is one update that I can't install.

Thank you.

Re: KB958687 Setup Error
Not necessarily, but it may be one that you need MS Tech Support to help get
it installed.

Danger Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:41:20 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You cannot install some updates or programs:
>> http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/822798
>>
>> Also see the "How to obtain help..." section of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958687
>>

> I guess this is one update that I can't install.
>
> Thank you.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: KB958687 Setup Error

"Danger Sullivan" <danger@every.where> wrote in message news:h5ctt4da2j00nghq2032g8prcpqqibilej@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:03:10 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
> <robald@techemail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Danger Sullivan" <danger@every.where> wrote in message news:6idst4lhnpfd8v6ju3us3l0d33t1vm9r3n@4ax.com...
>>> Last night I did my automatic updates. Twelve files were installed.
>>> However, KB958687 would not install. I went to Microsoft's site and
>>> downloaded the file for manual install.
>>>
>>> I attempted the manual install, however, that failed also. I
>>> double-clicked on the .exe and it looked like it was going to install
>>> but very quickly I got a box that said "KB958687 Setup Error - Setup
>>> could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure that
>>> Cryptographic service is running on this computer".
>>>
>>> I ran services.msc and it showed that Cryptographic service as started
>>> and startup type as automatic.
>>>

>>> I did a search on Microsoft's site and couldn't find any reference
>>> to that particular error.

>>> Does anyone here have any ideas as to why
>>> that one update couldn't be installed.

>>Looks like you stopped searching too soon. ; )
>>
>><title>You cannot install some updates or programs</title>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>
>>(Microsoft search for
>> cryptographic service regsvr32
>>)
>>

>>> Thank you for any assistance.
>>>
>>> Running WindowsXP Pro SP3

>>Good luck
>>
>>Robert Aldwinckle
>>---
>>

> Yeah, I guess I used the wrong search syntax. Thanks for the URLs.

> I tried as many "methods" as I was comfortable with. Still no joy.

Oh? Where did you stop?

BTW in view of the fact you tried a manual install,
I'm wondering if you may not be misinterpreting your symptoms.
E.g. I just had a look at my KB958687.log and can see how
one might easily latch on to the wrong message as being the most
significant symptom to report.

Also, just curious, but what version of srv.sys do you have now?
Properties, Version, File Version Value.

HTH

Robert
---

Danger Sullivan

Re: KB958687 Setup Error
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 23:53:25 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

>"Danger Sullivan" <danger@every.where> wrote in message news:h5ctt4da2j00nghq2032g8prcpqqibilej@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:03:10 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
>> <robald@techemail.com> wrote:

>>>Looks like you stopped searching too soon. ; )
>>>
>>><title>You cannot install some updates or programs</title>
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>>
>>>(Microsoft search for
>>> cryptographic service regsvr32
>>>)

>>>Good luck
>>>
>>>Robert Aldwinckle
>>>---
>>>

>> Yeah, I guess I used the wrong search syntax. Thanks for the URLs.

>> I tried as many "methods" as I was comfortable with. Still no joy.

>Oh? Where did you stop?

I didn't do 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. I don't trust myself
with command lines.

>BTW in view of the fact you tried a manual install,
>I'm wondering if you may not be misinterpreting your symptoms.
>E.g. I just had a look at my KB958687.log and can see how
>one might easily latch on to the wrong message as being the most
>significant symptom to report.
>
>Also, just curious, but what version of srv.sys do you have now?
>Properties, Version, File Version Value.

Which one, I have 6 of them.
Danger Sullivan

Re: KB958687 Setup Error
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 22:54:54 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>Not necessarily, but it may be one that you need MS Tech Support to help get
>it installed.

That's probably what I will end up doing.