WGA broken yet again.

Anteaus

WGA broken yet again.
Just plugged a spare HD into my test machine, to find out what was on it.
Turned out it was a copy of the previous Windows 7 beta, release 7000.

Nothing unusual about that, except that it then promptly 'dialled home' to
Microsoft, and loudly proclaimed itself to be COUNTERFEIT SOFTWARE!!! THIS
COPY OF WINDOWS IS NOT GENUINE!! .. and the screen went black.

Um... seeing as this was downloaded from Technet and installed with an
MS-provided key, if this isn't genuine I'm not sure what is.

The faulty nature of this latest WGA version doesn't surprise me, what is
worrying though is that I did nothing to permit it to be installed, other
than plug in a LAN cable. That is not good. It doesn't bode well for the
level of WGA false positives on Windows 7.

Disk's getting wiped anyway, I need it for a Linux test build. :-P

Re: WGA broken yet again.
Windows 7 Beta Support Forums
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...egory/w7itpro/

Anteaus wrote:
> Just plugged a spare HD into my test machine, to find out what was on it.
> Turned out it was a copy of the previous Windows 7 beta, release 7000.
>
> Nothing unusual about that, except that it then promptly 'dialled home' to
> Microsoft, and loudly proclaimed itself to be COUNTERFEIT SOFTWARE!!! THIS
> COPY OF WINDOWS IS NOT GENUINE!! .. and the screen went black.
>
> Um... seeing as this was downloaded from Technet and installed with an
> MS-provided key, if this isn't genuine I'm not sure what is.
>
> The faulty nature of this latest WGA version doesn't surprise me, what is
> worrying though is that I did nothing to permit it to be installed, other
> than plug in a LAN cable. That is not good. It doesn't bode well for the
> level of WGA false positives on Windows 7.
>
> Disk's getting wiped anyway, I need it for a Linux test build. :-P

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: WGA broken yet again.
Anteaus wrote:

> Just plugged a spare HD into my test machine, to find out what was on it.
> Turned out it was a copy of the previous Windows 7 beta, release 7000.
>
> Nothing unusual about that, except that it then promptly 'dialled home' to
> Microsoft, and loudly proclaimed itself to be COUNTERFEIT SOFTWARE!!! THIS
> COPY OF WINDOWS IS NOT GENUINE!! .. and the screen went black.

This might just indicate that the beta has expired. I wouldn't worry about it.

Harry.