Error number: 0x80072EFF

briggymom

Error number: 0x80072EFF
I am at a loss. I cannot use windows update. I have used trendmicro sysclean,
started using windows one care. I've run hijack this. I have no virus that is
noticed on any scan. I have run in and out of safe mode. I have 3 main
symptoms.
1) Windows update freezes and never runs, ending up with this error Error
number: 0x80072EFF
2) My yahoo searches send me to rds.yahoo.com and I have to hit the back
button to get to my actual search. I have not found the addon in my manage
addons that could be doing this.
3) My world of warcraft has suddenly started crashing as well.

PC world recommened updating windows scripts which I did. HELP!

Re: Error number: 0x80072EFF
What anti-virus application was installed before you installed OneCare?

briggymom wrote:
> I am at a loss. I cannot use windows update. I have used trendmicro
> sysclean, started using windows one care. I've run hijack this. I have no
> virus that is noticed on any scan. I have run in and out of safe mode. I
> have 3 main symptoms.
> 1) Windows update freezes and never runs, ending up with this error Error
> number: 0x80072EFF
> 2) My yahoo searches send me to rds.yahoo.com and I have to hit the back
> button to get to my actual search. I have not found the addon in my manage
> addons that could be doing this.
> 3) My world of warcraft has suddenly started crashing as well.
>
> PC world recommened updating windows scripts which I did. HELP!

briggymom

Re: Error number: 0x80072EFF
I had Verizon Internet Security Suite and once a month I also ran TrendMicro
Housecall

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What anti-virus application was installed before you installed OneCare?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> briggymom wrote:
> > I am at a loss. I cannot use windows update. I have used trendmicro
> > sysclean, started using windows one care. I've run hijack this. I have no
> > virus that is noticed on any scan. I have run in and out of safe mode. I
> > have 3 main symptoms.
> > 1) Windows update freezes and never runs, ending up with this error Error
> > number: 0x80072EFF
> > 2) My yahoo searches send me to rds.yahoo.com and I have to hit the back
> > button to get to my actual search. I have not found the addon in my manage
> > addons that could be doing this.
> > 3) My world of warcraft has suddenly started crashing as well.
> >
> > PC world recommened updating windows scripts which I did. HELP!

Re: Error number: 0x80072EFF
0x80072EFF = ERROR_INTERNET_CONNECTION_Reset

Something's interfering the your connection to Windows Update servers.
Suspects include "hijackware" infections that are not detected in your
scanning, the fact that Verizon Internet Security is installed, Verizon
Internet Security "leftovers" if you uninstalled it [1], and/or having the
Windows Firewall and OneCare's firewall enabled.

If the machine was infected when you installed OneCare, there's a very good
chance that OneCare didn't install correctly and is not protectin your
computer.

Let's start with some more easy questions:

Please state your Internet Explorer (IE) version and full Windows version
(e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)?

Was your Verizon Internet Security Suite subscription still current & valid
when you installed OneCare?

Did you uninstall Verizon Internet Security Suite before you installed
OneCare?

Have you purchased OneCare or are you still running the 30-day free-trial
version?

Are both the Windows Firewall and OneCare's firewall enabled?

==================
[1] I believe the Verizon suite is a customized version of RadialPoint
Software application, which is notorious for not uninstalling "cleanly"
--
~PA Bear

briggymom wrote:
> I had Verizon Internet Security Suite and once a month I also ran
> TrendMicro
> Housecall
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> What anti-virus application was installed before you installed OneCare?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> briggymom wrote:
>>> I am at a loss. I cannot use windows update. I have used trendmicro
>>> sysclean, started using windows one care. I've run hijack this. I have
>>> no
>>> virus that is noticed on any scan. I have run in and out of safe mode. I
>>> have 3 main symptoms.
>>> 1) Windows update freezes and never runs, ending up with this error
>>> Error
>>> number: 0x80072EFF
>>> 2) My yahoo searches send me to rds.yahoo.com and I have to hit the back
>>> button to get to my actual search. I have not found the addon in my
>>> manage
>>> addons that could be doing this.
>>> 3) My world of warcraft has suddenly started crashing as well.
>>>
>>> PC world recommened updating windows scripts which I did. HELP!

briggymom

Re: Error number: 0x80072EFF
Verizon was up to date and current when this started.

I uninstalled it via remove programs from control panel before installing
one care.
One care was installed with trial and up to date antivirus update for 4/8/09.

When I run WinVer just now it lists the version build as:
5.1 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236: service pack 3)

I have found newer security updates on Windows update catalogue and updated
my computer with them yesterday....no changes

Thanks for the help. This is driving my bonkers!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 0x80072EFF = ERROR_INTERNET_CONNECTION_Reset
>
> Something's interfering the your connection to Windows Update servers.
> Suspects include "hijackware" infections that are not detected in your
> scanning, the fact that Verizon Internet Security is installed, Verizon
> Internet Security "leftovers" if you uninstalled it [1], and/or having the
> Windows Firewall and OneCare's firewall enabled.
>
> If the machine was infected when you installed OneCare, there's a very good
> chance that OneCare didn't install correctly and is not protectin your
> computer.
>
> Let's start with some more easy questions:
>
> Please state your Internet Explorer (IE) version and full Windows version
> (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)?
>
> Was your Verizon Internet Security Suite subscription still current & valid
> when you installed OneCare?
>
> Did you uninstall Verizon Internet Security Suite before you installed
> OneCare?
>
> Have you purchased OneCare or are you still running the 30-day free-trial
> version?
>
> Are both the Windows Firewall and OneCare's firewall enabled?
>
> ==================
> [1] I believe the Verizon suite is a customized version of RadialPoint
> Software application, which is notorious for not uninstalling "cleanly"
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> briggymom wrote:
> > I had Verizon Internet Security Suite and once a month I also ran
> > TrendMicro
> > Housecall
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> What anti-virus application was installed before you installed OneCare?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Error number: 0x80072EFF
When (date) did you install the OneCare free-trial? You have not purchased
OneCare yet, correct?

Click on/open Start | Settings | Control Panel | Windows Firewall: Is this
firewall enabled/turned-on? (Remember: OneCare includes its own firewall so
you don't want the Windows Firewall enabled, too.)

Have you also posted about this in the OneCare Forums or have you contacted
OneCare Support about it?

Windows Live OneCare Peer-to-Peer Support Forums
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...wsliveonecare/

How to reach official OneCare Support (FAQ)
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...8-17e305329d90